IGNORED

HSC15 Round 16: Hi-Res Games II - The September Tourney

Hard Hat Mack 4100.

HHM 11890 (level 4).

Looking back to last time we played this we went by level instead of score

Yes good point McKong the scoring is flawed so it's points for screens completed in Hard Hat Mack :thumbsup:

Had a go on the unknown to me games:

Pong by Mirage Software - tricky to steer the little bugger, managed to collect 1 item (coloured squares - bounce on them); not sure if all the other items are just scenery.

from the posted disks:

Galactic Patrol 1,450

Inter Galleon Battle 18,600 looks like an evolution of Galactic Patrol

Malpass the Asteroid Mines 7,600 This one looks promising! Need to find out if the game progresses through the skill levels; if not shall we play on Intermediate or Expert (Expert might be too fast on NTSC?) ?

All ran ok on my 130XE (PAL)

post-19705-0-88210700-1535645970.jpg

post-19705-0-61536900-1535645981.jpg

post-19705-0-72951800-1535645989.jpg

Yes good point McKong the scoring is flawed so it's points for screens completed in Hard Hat Mack :thumbsup:

Had a go on the unknown to me games:

Pong by Mirage Software - tricky to steer the little bugger, managed to collect 1 item (coloured squares - bounce on them); not sure if all the other items are just scenery.

I'm not sure if the ball can be controlled in any skillfull manner so this we'll bump Pong into the next round as another bonus game for Starquake - that leaves us with a batch of good arcade games that everyone can enjoy :)

So what's the deal with "hi res" here? Are those games really in higher resolution than normal Atari ones?

They use a "normal" resolution but the highest the Atari has to offer with 320 horizontal pixels but only two brightness levels of the same color (unless you consider "extra" colors caused by artifacting which require an Emulator or CRT to see and are different for PAL and NTSC machines). Due to the lack of color they are not as commonly used for games as the 160 pixel 4-colour-modes.

:thumbsup: see we do need a better title for this round :D

• Like 1

@Carlsson: XE on Altirra... Unfortunately, i use my Atari on party only (young people in family and lack of place it).

Yes it's all about priorities... kick them out :D

Well now it's officially September the round can start! What you've already been playing and posting scores and even having fun :P screenshots optional, if you get a great score at something then they are nice to see.

Some very rusty scores from me, gonna be a lot of fun re-learing these great games :thumbsup:

Choplifter 25 rescued

Threshold 26,400

Hard Hat Mack, very hard as I think I need to service my joysticks (that's my excuse) I did see screen 2 briefly :-o (4,450)

Marauder 26,120 64,500

Lunar Leeper 4,180 10,640 reached stage 2, turn up the volume on this one and see if anything happens to you ;)

post-19705-0-55282000-1535827961.jpgpost-19705-0-79333300-1535827972.jpgpost-19705-0-34733600-1535827981.jpgpost-19705-0-18384800-1535828107.jpg

Jasper-wan Kenobe? When making my dinner I had a surprise when I went back to the dining Atari room as he genuinely did this entirely himself (the towel was on a chair) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-85275900-1535828074_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-80180700-1535828086_thumb.jpg

I'll add some more info on the games to the first post as I play them. I'm still trying to merge Hi-Res and September Restember but think I should give up on that one :grin: Have fun y'all :)

• Like 3

Unless otherwise noted, we start all games from the lowest skill level? I saw something above about playing some game on a higher default difficulty, though it is not mentioned in the first post. We wouldn't want another Dark Chambers confusion here with over a dozen games to play, and then some may have played them on the wrong difficulty not making the scores comparable.

• Like 1

Kult - 7162 pts (no screenshot due it only displays score if you get onto the highscore list > 20000 pts!)

Marauder - 61400 pts

Threshold - 42400 pts

How does one beat the boss on Kult? Do you shoot him until he dies, or should you try to escape underneath? He seems almost invulerable, though the fact Sikor got nearly 30K on this game suggests there should be a way to get past him.

post-5454-0-08220700-1535841547.jpg

post-5454-0-34572400-1535841539.jpg

...Malpass the Asteroid Mines 7,600 This one looks promising! Need to find out if the game progresses through the skill levels; if not shall we play on Intermediate or Expert (Expert might be too fast on NTSC?) ?

Unless otherwise noted, we start all games from the lowest skill level? I saw something above about playing some game on a higher default difficulty, though it is not mentioned in the first post. We wouldn't want another Dark Chambers confusion here with over a dozen games to play, and then some may have played them on the wrong difficulty not making the scores comparable.

:thumbsup: Most of the games have only 1 setting, others take the default - just need to decide about "Malpass the Asteriod Mines" - will play again later.

First post has info on each game - check for updates everyone ;)

How does one beat the boss on Kult? Do you shoot him until he dies, or should you try to escape underneath? He seems almost invulerable, though the fact Sikor got nearly 30K on this game suggests there should be a way to get past him.

Shoot it for long time.

Yes it's all about priorities... kick them out :D

No, I never trash my Atari :D

• Like 2