IGNORED

Don't Want a Box? No Problem!

Albert

We know that not everyone cares about paying extra for a box when buying new homebrew games. We've updated eight of our latest games for the 2600 and 5200 so you can now buy them without the box. These games still come with a high-quality label and manual, but the box is now optional. Here are the games:

2600_Anguna_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_Assembloids_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_Draconian_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_Drive_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_PankyThePanda_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_SpaceCactusCanyon_CartAndManual.jpg 2600_SuperCobraArcade_CartAndManual.jpg 5200_Ratcatcher_CartAndManual.jpg

Here's a list of the games:

Click on any of the above images or links above to learn more about each game!
  • Like 17

We know that not everyone cares about paying extra for a box when buying new homebrew games. We've updated eight of our latest games for the 2600 and 5200 so you can now buy them without the box. These games still come with a high-quality label and manual, but the box is now optional. Here are the games:

Sorry to bother: What are the boxes closest of becoming sold out?

Im planning buying a few AA games and might start with those.

Thank you!

Click on any of the above images or links above to learn more about each game!

Speaking of boxes, PM sent.

Something people should know. Having boxes pre-made can be a risky investment. 50,100, or more boxes can be made, and you do not know how many and how fast you are going to sell. The game may only sell 20-30 units right away, and may sell slow like 1 every few months. May take years to sell off the remaining stock. Anyone manufacturing and selling cartridge most likely not invest in ordering more after. Other things involved is extra time and labor involved with packaging, and storage of unused stock. Pretty sure Albert does not want extra stuff cluttering up their homes. Does having the extra nice printed box really increase sales enough to make it worthwhile? Many people want to get the game at the lowest price possible.

I do sell many boxed copies of games, but you are right, I will generally be sitting on piles of boxes for some time. I still have unused boxes I printed for games back in the early 2000s. The more games I print boxes for, the more I need to store and organize, and they do take up a fair bit of space (even in their unfolded state).

I am surprised somewhat by the response on the boxes, but am also glad about it (I will explain in just a moment).

For me, the boxes are important. Not as investments, in hopes of capital appreciation, but instead because of nostalgia. Some of the artwork on Atari boxes is incredibly nostalgic for me.

Just the other night, I wasn't playing any games, but reviewing my boxes and what is inside...the manuals, warranty slips, catalogs. In particular, I focused on Pitfall 2. That game is not just an impressive program...it's a spectacular project overall. I was reading through the diary in the manual, the tips from Crane, studied the box/art, read the marketing blurb on the back, all the while hearing the tune of the game in my head. It would not be the same without the box.

However, I do like to be reminded from time to time that it is the game most of all, and that I should not worry about boxes. Money can be tight for me, and simply put, lately, I can only get used games, no box, nothing else (ah, my beloved catalogs). So I do see that point of view, and am glad to see it...I know, by the way, we are talking about something a bit different here, in terms of home-brew products, but still, made me think about this other angle....

Edited by AAA177
  • Like 1

Something people should know. Having boxes pre-made can be a risky investment. 50,100, or more boxes can be made, and you do not know how many and how fast you are going to sell. The game may only sell 20-30 units right away, and may sell slow like 1 every few months. May take years to sell off the remaining stock. Anyone manufacturing and selling cartridge most likely not invest in ordering more after. Other things involved is extra time and labor involved with packaging, and storage of unused stock. Pretty sure Albert does not want extra stuff cluttering up their homes. Does having the extra nice printed box really increase sales enough to make it worthwhile? Many people want to get the game at the lowest price possible.

I understand this for sure. That is why I made sure myself to say when it's "restock" time cause selling loose carts and being stuck with a storage issue for CIB copies would not be fun.

I do sell many boxed copies of games, but you are right, I will generally be sitting on piles of boxes for some time. I still have unused boxes I printed for games back in the early 2000s. The more games I print boxes for, the more I need to store and organize, and they do take up a fair bit of space (even in their unfolded state).

I understand this for sure. That is why I made sure myself to say when it's "restock" time cause selling loose carts and being stuck with a storage issue for CIB copies would not be fun.

Maybe should consider some sort of generalized boxes with the Atari Age logo on it, and print up box labels, put them on them as orders come in.

Edited by peteym5

Something that anybody can do is order some of these. Including those who are obsessed with quality boxes and cases.

https://www.ebay.com/i/292356311839?chn=ps

https://www.mediashelving.com/store/universal-slim-combo-game-full-sleeve-full-case-100

http://www.retrogamecases.com/wp-content/uploads/atari3.jpg

The 2600, 5200, 7800, and Jaguar cartridges can fit inside them. Atari 8-bit and LYNX cartridges probably be too small.

You can print your own inserts! Can find small quantities on Ebay. Larger Businesses may order them in large quantities and sell them with the cartridges inside them. Probably best to do Google searching to find your desired Quantity.

From the experience with the Atari 8-bit games, sales are expected to be around 50 units. Not sure what is the expected average unit sales for the 2600 would be. Something that needs to be considered, don't want to see people getting stuck with unsold cases and boxes.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Thanks for no box options on these great games. There was some talk a few years back about selling rom downloads in the store as well as physical cartridges. I would love to play the new games and support the developers, but Im not always interested in physical medium: what happened to that?

• Like 1