IGNORED

Starcom video, info?

Swami

Can someone post gameplay? Also, is this a Bosconian clone? Thanks!

Ask and you shall receive!

This was a pretty good homebrew of Bosconian for it's time. I played on both level 1 which is pretty easy and level 4 which is impossible! At least for me anyway! :D The music can get a little annoying but there is an option to turn it off and for that we thank the developers! Overall, very good game, though!

• Like 1

Ask and you shall receive!

This was a pretty good homebrew of Bosconian for it's time. I played on both level 1 which is pretty easy and level 4 which is impossible! At least for me anyway! :D The music can get a little annoying but there is an option to turn it off and for that we thank the developers! Overall, very good game, though!

Video hot off the press! Thanks Robb!

Starcom was programmed by BFG. Opcode's bosconian is a hack of a MSX or SG-1000 game, not an upgrade of BFG's game.

Yeah, I could have worded that better as probably "some things may be better." Better sound quality from SGM, F18A color enhancement, graphics should be comparable, but hard to tell. Starcom was probably mostly from scratch, though, so an admirable feat.

Ouch - and I just spotted another scoring bug. You completed your Difficulty 1 game with a score of 019990. You then started another game with Difficulty 4 and your previous score carried over, i.e. your second game started with your previous score of 019990 !!!!

I tested this myself and regardless of difficulty setting the game always carries the prior game score over into a new game (unless you reset the console). Looks like this game needed a bit more beta testing before release !!!!

The more I think about this game the more questions I have about its release (This is probably more targeted towards JF and Toby) since it is before my time.

Why were there only 30 copies released? Were there just not as many people in the ColecoVision community back then? Was it made just to be more "limited" and create a collectable? It seems like a game like this could sell a lot more copies if released today. Has the ColecoVision community really grown that much between 2012 - 2018? I'm fortunate enough that someone here sold me their copy when I first started collecting but I kind of feel bad for people who are just getting into the hobby now and would like a CIB copy. Do you think that at some point maybe CollectorVision will go back and re-release some of these back catalog titles, or maybe at least let someone else do a run of official "reproductions" of them?

I think it would be cool to have more copies of stuff like this available to newer people in the community or anyone who missed out on the first run, but that's just me... It's a good game! I wish more people could play it!

• Like 1

Having seen two fairly obvious bugs just by watching your short video, my guess is that this was an advanced prototype of the game that wasn't really ready for a wide release. I suspect it was just a convenient candidate for a small release which was limited, quite cutely, to 30 to match the 30th anniversary. 30 for the 30th :-D

Having seen two fairly obvious bugs just by watching your short video, my guess is that this was an advanced prototype of the game that wasn't really ready for a wide release. I suspect it was just a convenient candidate for a small release which was limited, quite cutely, to 30 to match the 30th anniversary. 30 for the 30th :-D

It was a 30th Anniversary limited collector's release fundraiser type dealy, like $212 a copy.

The more I think about this game the more questions I have about its release (This is probably more targeted towards JF and Toby) since it is before my time.

Why were there only 30 copies released? Were there just not as many people in the ColecoVision community back then? Was it made just to be more "limited" and create a collectable? It seems like a game like this could sell a lot more copies if released today. Has the ColecoVision community really grown that much between 2012 - 2018? I'm fortunate enough that someone here sold me their copy when I first started collecting but I kind of feel bad for people who are just getting into the hobby now and would like a CIB copy. Do you think that at some point maybe CollectorVision will go back and re-release some of these back catalog titles, or maybe at least let someone else do a run of official "reproductions" of them?

I think it would be cool to have more copies of stuff like this available to newer people in the community or anyone who missed out on the first run, but that's just me... It's a good game! I wish more people could play it!

At that time, CollectorVision was a one-man operation

30 copies for the 30th anniversary of the Colecovision

We're not going to make more of these, I would rather prefer to created a StarCom Plarformer and Shmup type game

Although, I'm going to release the rom file as soon as the Phoenix System is out, so people could at least give it a try :)

BTW: The box of the game was made to look similar to those StarCom toy box

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

Very true!

But keep in mind that I was alone for testing at that time

Now, we do have a couple of dudes testing our the games

I was just being cheeky :-D . The scoring bug can be easily bypassed by just pressing reset between games and the final score one is really minor.

I actually really like this game and the graphics are very good.

Edited by Ikrananka

At that time, CollectorVision was a one-man operation

30 copies for the 30th anniversary of the Colecovision

Gotcha! I think it's impressive to see how much the ColecoVision community has grown. To see you guys go from only making a run of 30 copies just 6 years ago to doing a run of 100 copies of The Castle and selling out that many is amazing! Who would have expected to see that much growth in that short of time!

Gotcha! I think it's impressive to see how much the ColecoVision community has grown. To see you guys go from only making a run of 30 copies just 6 years ago to doing a run of 100 copies of The Castle and selling out that many is amazing! Who would have expected to see that much growth in that short of time!

you could already sold easly 100 copies of a coleco Homebrew 6 years ago. For Starcom he has just decided to do a limited release for collectors for the 30 years of the colecovision. 3O copies for the 30 years. Copies were sold at very expensive price.

If i remember at the time, the idea was than to release the game slightly modified more widely as "bosconian". It never happened. :(

Youki is correct... as always!

Starcom was a limited and expensive release to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the ColecoVision as well as a late 80s Coleco toy series. Only 30 copies were purposely made and offered for sale even though a production run of 100 was the norm back then. There were plans to continue development of the game and release as Bosconian, but things changed... maybe Opcode mentioned that he was going to release a version of Bosconian.

CollectorVision was also going to release a 30th Anniversary ADAM game release on data pack in 2013 that never materialized even after I converted the game to a self-booting ADAM data pack and made 10 copies. Oh well, it was still a fun project that maybe one day will be released seeing as there is growing interest in software development specifically for the ADAM.

So word to the wise... if you see a copy of Starcom for sale and really want it, don't delay and expect to pay a hefty price.