IGNORED

Duke nukem 3d!

Video

I was looking for this game on another system, and it popped up as a 20th anniversary for ps4. Why haven't I heard of this?

Easily one of my favorite 90's era shooters made it to ps4 and I got it ordered, it'll be here saturday. Can't wait. I played the neck out of it on pc, this says it has a bonus fifth chapter, fifth, I thought it had three, but anyhow. Higher res visuals and better voice samples redone. Don't know if it's 3d or still raycast style but I'll see in a couple of days.

Discuss?

In retrospect, Duke 3D really feels like a fluke for 3D realms. Even when you strip the crude humor away, there's a damned fine game in there. They weren't really able to deliver on that kind of quality before (even in their Apogee days) or after. It seriously holds up to Doom, and despite being technologically inferior to Quake, I still feel it had superior gameplay.

It's too bad they really doubled down on the crudeness by the time DNF finally got released (how much of it was actually done by 3D Realms before Gearbox finished it?). Duke 3D felt like an homage to and parody of ridiculous over the top machismo action heroes. DNF felt like they lost their self-awareness and thought Duke and the stuff he does was actually cool and it all came off as childish.

• Like 3

In retrospect, Duke 3D really feels like a fluke for 3D realms. Even when you strip the crude humor away, there's a damned fine game in there. They weren't really able to deliver on that kind of quality before (even in their Apogee days) or after. It seriously holds up to Doom, and despite being technologically inferior to Quake, I still feel it had superior gameplay.

It's too bad they really doubled down on the crudeness by the time DNF finally got released (how much of it was actually done by 3D Realms before Gearbox finished it?). Duke 3D felt like an homage to and parody of ridiculous over the top machismo action heroes. DNF felt like they lost their self-awareness and thought Duke and the stuff he does was actually cool and it all came off as childish.

This is exactly how I feel about it, too. I was probably a bit young for Duke 3D when I first played it, so some of the humor probably went over my head (although the babes did not...*growls*). It was cheeky at times, but I don't think I'd call it gratuitous...although the morality watchdogs of the time certainly did. :P Underneath its irreverent veneer, it really was a damn fun game.

I have a soft spot for the old Apogee stuff, but I agree that Duke 3D was lightning in a bottle for them/3D Realms.

Duke Forever felt like a cynical, overproduced, hollow knockoff of Duke 3D. Like it tried to copy Duke 3D without really understanding anything that made it a great game. It would have been better off if had simply remained an urban legend that never escaped development hell.

• Like 1

I'm that weirdo that actually liked duke nukem forever. Had it been released ten years earlier (as it sits) I think it would have been more well accepted, crude humor and all. I to, while being a late teenager when 3d released, loved it more for level design and gameplay than for the cliche sexist macho man. He is a part of the charm imo, but doesn't make the game. It was the first game I felt did comparable to doom bitd, giving new gameplay elements in fun ways. Be tiny, or shrink enemies, crawl through ducts, fly....pee in toilets (for health??!?) And while not really functional, properly, me and friends spent a lot of time playing pool. One of the first games t think that I played with side stuff in it like that. It was just amazing over all experience.

Now days, so many games have crude humor and things, so it detracts a lot from that, but it's still a great game that stands the test of time. It's one of the few games that I got for darn near everything I could get it on, along side doom.

Edited by Video

You won't be disappointed in the 20th anniversary. If I remember correctly, it was a GameStop exclusive, or at least it was for a while. Maybe that's why you didn't hear about it. I only knew because several people in one of my gaming groups posted about it when they bought it.

I thought DKF was ok. It was worth the $10 new I paid for it. I'm super glad I didn't pre-order it and pay full price or anything like that. It was worth the play through one time, but I doubt that I will ever go back to it.

Those bosses on dnf were brutal. Don't think I managed to beat any beyond normal setting.

Got 3d this week and playing that now. It's pretty new since its been over a decade since I last played. Like the new 3d engine, it looks much nicer than the old raycast everything straight when looking up and down. I don't remember the original being this dark LOL. I'll look at the settings sometime, but it's a lot of fun. Forgot about that rewind feature when you die. I'm only on the fourth of so level atm so it'll be a while before I get to season 5.

Anyhow, well worth it for any duke 3d fan.

I recently picked this up and haven't opened it yet. I hope that the sticks are programmed well. What I don't understand, is why in 2018, and for an "Anniversary Edition", it doesn't come with all the Expansions that were created from back in the day. Great, it has a new 5th Episode... what about all the other Expansion Episodes created from the past? They could have added all of it and made a major package.

Either way, I hope it's good as I haven't gotten setup on the PC with newer engines, because it doesn't look as straight forward as running GZDoom for example. If anyone is experienced with that on the PC, I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance.

What I don't understand, is why in 2018, and for an "Anniversary Edition", it doesn't come with all the Expansions that were created from back in the day. Great, it has a new 5th Episode... what about all the other Expansion Episodes created from the past? They could have added all of it and made a major package.

I thought the same thing. I was really disappointed to find out that "Duke it Out in DC" wasn't included. I loved that expansion, maybe even more than the original.

Edited by TDIRunner