IGNORED

Myarc DDCC-1 jumpers and switches

OLD CS1

The book indicates the jumpers set the step speed of the drives. The instructions I received with the controller indicate these jumpers set number of drives (like my SNUG BwG.) Does anyone have a definitive guide for the four jumper/switches on the DDCC-1?

Thanks. I was looking for "ddcc" in my search, not "fdc," but it seems the 80 track upgrade renders the original function of the switches moot.

Correct. Once you do the 80 track upgrade each switch signifies the disk drive # and on= 80 track and off = 40 track modes

The controller works. Funny how different 20ms and 6ms stepping sound. 80-track upgrade ordered and will be here Tuesday.

Using some Gorilla Glue on the broken case parts. I do not want the card slopping around inside my PEB. Oh, gotta put the blue LED on it, too!

• Like 3

First time I had to use any glue on my systems, but it does make less of a mess than the duct-tape.

Interesting to see the DDCC-1 has 2k RAM on-board and the BwG has 1k RAM. I have to go back and look at the WD177x specs to see if it uses RAM as a buffer.

BTW, the FDC manual mentions closed and open for the switch settings, but my switch is a slide switch with ON and OFF positions. OFF is 6ms stepping, ON is 20ms stepping.

Something else interesting. I tried to use DM2k to format a DSDD disk and it could not verify the 17th and 18th sector of each track. Then I used Myarc Disk Manager 5, which asked me which sector format to use, and while sectors 16 and 17 verified I only ended up with 720 sectors instead of 1440.

I selected 40 tracks, double-sided, double density, and 18 sectors. What am I missing here?

EDIT: I just noticed the drive is stepping every 9 sectors... ummmm, wot?! Appears to be formatting single density even though I am choosing double.

Try formatting 16-sector double density, as the DSR version you have probably doesn't support 18-sector formats. . .it looks like one of the earlier Myarc DSRs.

I selected 16-sector and the head steps every 8 sectors. Since it is an early DSR and based upon everyone's reports on the 80-track upgrade, I assume the 80-track upgrade will resolve my issues once I receive it next week.

Is there a repository of DSR images for this card? I could burn a newer version.

This weekend I will probe the WD1770 controller, specifically to see if pin 26, /DDEN, which sets double-density mode. According to the specs it has an internal pull-up.

I am certain neither the cable nor the drive is responsible for this behavior as both work properly with the BwG.

Interesting. At first blush I would think you are somehow still formatting at 40 tracks, not 80. Are you using MDM3 (Myarc Disk Manager 3) or DM2K or...?

I am actually formatting on 40 tracks -- still on the 5.25s. I am using the Myarc Disk Manager in the XB2.7 Suite. I tried using DM2K before but it would not verify the extra two sectors. hrmmmm you know, I have not tried that again. It did seem like it at least formatted 16 sectors.