IGNORED

[Done] Tyre Trax

Muddyfunster

Something I've been thinking about, but I can't find an example or posts about it :

On the title screen Kernal, is it possible to have the title screen change based on user input, ie, have one of the 48_1 graphics change to show which control scheme the user prefers (then both models + Lillapojkenpåön crazy idea can be present at once).

I have a bigger update with the collision changes for later as well.

Yes - basically you are displaying a portion of a bigger bitmap, and changing what portion you are displaying. This is shown in "example 2" in the sample code and the documentation of the Titlescreen Kernel. Space Game uses this feature to display the game mode as well as the difficulty setting.

Yes, that is what I meant regarding the titlescreen bitmap display.

As for the alternate controls binary, I am liking it that way quite a bit. I'm curious if others would feel the same, or if it's just me. :-)

I have experienced some intermittent crashes or odd behavior sometimes at the end of a course. I can't come up with a list of steps to reproduce it consistently, but it seems to happen more when I've done more than one course. Sometimes it ends normally. Sometimes to goes back to the title screen abruptly, and sometimes it will start course 1 for me right away regardless of what course I was already on.

It resets to titlescreen as soon as you finish sometimes, because your pressing the button for speed, something with the restrainer

the button feels gooood, and mapping up and down to left and right in stella feels even better! ;) Seriously, everybody has more precision left and right with a joystick and feels just as intuitive.

Love the new firebutton method of accelerating!

Also, I featured Tyre Trax being demo'd at the AtariAge booth LIVE on my stream from the floor of PRGE a couple of days ago! :-) Here's the archive of the live broadcast, just jump to 10:19 if you want to see just your portion.

• Like 1

I didn't think about switching the controls in Stella to compare, so I tried that, too. I'd say that left and right instead of up and down works, too - I could deal with either one, personally. One makes sense visually, the other logically from the perspective of the bike.

I have all 3 control methods as options from the title screen (bizarely once you get your head around it, left and right work quite well...)

But the modified collision detection based on the idea of ignoring collisions with the top part of the player sprite is a bit hit and miss.

some times it works perfectly, others I can ram the obstacle head on and no collision is reported.

I'm going to fiddle with it some more on Thursday

• Like 1

attachicon.gifcollision example.bas

Here's a working example, couldn't get player0 to display right so might have found some bug

10 creates a 1 pixel gap, increase it if you like

Thanks Lillapojkenpåön much clearer now, I managed to adapt your great example into my code and it works great.

I'll post another new build on Friday.

Working on making the courses have a bit more variety now with half lanes for sprites to put the new collision code to work, improve the later course challenges.

Love the new firebutton method of accelerating!

Also, I featured Tyre Trax being demo'd at the AtariAge booth LIVE on my stream from the floor of PRGE a couple of days ago! :-) Here's the archive of the live broadcast, just jump to 10:19 if you want to see just your portion.

Thanks!, I watched it about 15 times lol :) Thanks for featuring Tyre Trax, looking forward to the Halloween special.

• Like 1

V201 Latest Build :

Notes on this new build (v201)

• On the titlepage Type A : Firebutton to accelerate
  • On the titlepage Type B. : Joystick RIght to accelerate.
  • In game : Increased number of obstacle positions (using 1/2 lanes so an obstacle can appear in 1 of 8 lanes, instead of 1 of 4)
  • In game : revamped the obstacle mapping in game modes 1-4
  • In game : Psuedo 3D - the top part of the bike no longer triggers a collision, only the handle bars down, meaning you can go for those smaller gaps.(thanks to Lillapojkenpåön for help and code examples on this one).
  • Placeholder sounds on the menu (the are way too loud right now, will make them more subtle later).

Thinking of removing the control mode select and just having the fire button accelerate version only.(I think most folks prefer that)

I've been have some issues with scanline count with blips to 263 lines. I've mostly solved it by reducing the amount of river animation and having the scenery elements more spread out on the frames where they are moved, but I still get one blip that I can't get rid off. At the end of the countdown as the game transitions from GO (in 3-2-1-GO) to the start of the race, there is a single frame that jumps to 263. The best of it is, it doesnt happen every time :( driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

I don't really know enough about the debugger mode in Stella to track what's happening when the blips occur on that side so i'm more trial and error with code tweaks.

Would appreciate any feedback as to if this is noticeable on real hardware please and also on the new obstacle sets and the collision changes.

Thanks!

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

V201j added to first post.

Some small changes to the bike in how it is animated up and down and on acceleration.

I won't be doing any more significant updates until my Harmony arrives and I can test on real hardware to squish the remaining over-cycle issues.

Feedback and comments as always are appreciated.

• Like 2

V201j added to first post.

Some small changes to the bike in how it is animated up and down and on acceleration.

I won't be doing any more significant updates until my Harmony arrives and I can test on real hardware to squish the remaining over-cycle issues.

Feedback and comments as always are appreciated.

I just ordered my Harmony Encore last night too!!

• 3 weeks later...