IGNORED

[Done] Tyre Trax

Muddyfunster

I really like how you made this game take up the full screen width despite the DPC+ playfield being limited in width.

It would cool if you could choose between kayak or bike and support 2 player VS mode.

Thanks Zack, the kayak is a great idea, but the water section is a little more restricted, I think i'd struggle to fit enough "sprite lanes" to make it a challenge. (but i'm keeping that idea for any sequel !)

I had a lot of fun making the "hit the water" sequence and was tempted to make that part of the game!

Edited by Muddyfunster

Cool game. I thought each level would advance based upon time. Glad you have the option so far to select the level you want to play. Advance would a possible game concept. Then maybe a muddy, rain, and ice level where controls are tighter or loose based upon the environment.

Thanks Lewis, I like the idea of progressing through levels sequentially, I think i'd struggle with that for now (limited by my ability with Bb ). Looser controls on the winter map (or a 5th map muddy/rain) would be a great idea and is something I've been experimenting with, but without much success so far.

• Like 1

I have some code from some DPC stuff I was writing I will post it later for for the looser controls and the possible rain effect. Search batari starfield in the forum to see the code that RevEng posted. There are a few modifications to have it only on certain portions or the whole screen.

***Edit***

Attached is what I was working on. Then I stopped. The upper level simulates "Ice" and the bottom level is normal. The upper level should simulate snow (rain), but I can't verify right now because I am have some issues with Bb on my computer.

The code below is where you are able to adjust the speed of player0. I think this could be modded to use constants to help save on variables. If I get my stuff working again I will put something together with constants as you can have up to 500 of them which will definitely save on variables if you are using them. Hope this helps, I'm not expert. Maybe the others who know more than me will chime in. Also what I have learned is by posting your code helps as well, thanks.

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
; Player0 fixed point variables for more flexibility in
; gameplay mechanics.
;
dim _P0_U_D = player0y.a
dim _P0_L_R = player0x.b

For the movement to the next stage there are 2 options. A timer or score.

;***************************************************************
; Converts 6 digit score to 3 sets of two digits.
;
; The 100 thousands and 10 thousands digits are held by _sc1.
; The thousands and hundreds digits are held by _sc2.
; The tens and ones digits are held by _sc3.
;
dim _sc1=score
dim _sc2=score+1
dim _sc3=score+2

; Racing Timer on RT Page
;

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#akmme_racing_timer

20180906 - Movements.bas.bin

20180906 - Movements.txt

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 2

This looks great, the visuals are very well done! Like others have said, very reminiscent of an Activision title. Great job!
  • Here are some initial comments:
  • Allow joystick button to start a new game after you reach the goal.
  • Allow RESET to start a new game at the title screen.
  • When you start the game, you can see the sprites on the right side of the screen flicker once (this seems to coincide with when the clouds appear).
  • Maybe use the joystick button to "pump" your bicycle as a means of acceleration? You have to keep pumping to maintain your speed, and if you stop pumping you coast and gradually slow down. Not pumping at a really fast rate like in Decathlon, but enough to keep you moving fast and to add an additional gameplay element while you are also navigating the obstacles.
  • How about some power ups as you navigate the course?
  • Will you be able to jump over obstacles at some point?
  • I was amused the first time I fell in the water. At first I was like, "What the hell just happened?" Maybe have a splash sound of some sort when you fall in the water? I'd also allow the fire button to return to the main menu, in addition to being able to press "RESET". I'd change the message at the top to, "PRESS FIRE".
  • Definitely needs more sound effects (which I see you plan on adding).
  • Add AtariVox support to save your fastest time on each level?
  • A two player mode would be cool, with two parallel courses in that mode (ditching the water), but I'm guessing that might be a pipe dream. :)
That's all for now, keep up the good work!!
..Al
  • Like 3

I have some code from some DPC stuff I was writing I will post it later for for the looser controls and the possible rain effect. Search batari starfield in the forum to see the code that RevEng posted. There are a few modifications to have it only on certain portions or the whole screen.

***Edit***

Muddyfunster,

Attached is what I was working on. Then I stopped. The upper level simulates "Ice / Rain" and the bottom level is normal. The code could be adjusted around for mud level current in water etc.

The code below is where you are able to adjust the speed of player0. I think this could be modded to use constants to help save on variables. If I get my stuff working again I will put something together with constants as you can have up to 500 of them which will definitely save on variables if you are using them. Hope this helps, I'm not expert. Maybe the others who know more than me will chime in. Also what I have learned is by posting your code helps as well, thanks.

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

; Player0 fixed point variables for more flexibility in

; gameplay mechanics.

;

dim _P0_U_D = player0y.a

dim _P0_L_R = player0x.b

;****************************************************************

; Player will skip slide left or right if in underground levels

;

if player0y > 80 then goto __Skip_Slide_Left

;****************************************************************

; Player will slide left or right

;

if joy0right && c{4} then goto __Skip_Slide_Right

if !joy0right && c{4} then c{4}=1

if c{4} then z=z+1 : _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R + .5

if z=15 && c{4} then c{4}=0 : z=0

__Skip_Slide_Right

if joy0left && c{3} then goto __Skip_Slide_Left

if !joy0left && c{3} then c{3}=1

if c{3} then z=z+1 : _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R - .5

if z=15 && c{3} then c{3}=0 : z=0

__Skip_Slide_Left

****For the movement to the next stage there are 2 options that I can think of. A timer or score.****

; Converts 6 digit score to 3 sets of two digits.

;

; The 100 thousands and 10 thousands digits are held by _sc1.

; The thousands and hundreds digits are held by _sc2.

; The tens and ones digits are held by _sc3.

;

dim _sc1=score

dim _sc2=score+1

dim _sc3=score+2

; Racing Timer on RT Page

;

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#akmme_racing_timer

20180906 - Movements.txt

20180906 - Movements.bas.bin

Edited by Lewis2907

Lewis, thanks, I'll take some time on Friday to digest that, appreciate your input on the sliding. I think that would work on game mode 3.

Good point on using constants, running out of variables is now a bit of a problem for me. Mostly down to my inexperience and sloppy code. I've rewritten some elements today to use bits instead of full variables. Every day is a school day with Bb :)

I wouldn't say inexperience. Just learning as this game is very good and moving forward. I'm still learning. Good job with DPC. I stop programming in it because of the AFP won't support it currently. I may return as I have learned some more pointers. Goood job on the graphics and game. If you need some more help I say just ask in the forum most people will help where they can.

• Like 1

Updated binary on first post.

Added a few tweaks and bits of polish here and there. Next is to resolve some colour issues on sprites clashing with the background and look at a few of the features that were suggested by folks that could be implemented.

Appreciate all the comments and feedback so far!.

• Like 1

Updated binary (build 68), more polish and tweaks.

Working on inertia / slide for the winter level.

Can anyone give me any pointers about designing a label for the cart? (and maybe box art - any help or advice would be greatly appreciated).

I'm still a bit away from finishing yet (still things I want to add) but I was thinking of a traditional Activision type label. I know AA store carts are usually Atari style shells not Activision style shells, but I figured an adapted version to fit a regular cart, without the wrap over part would look great and would fit with my game really well.

Thanks for the feedback so far.,

• Like 4

Updated binary (build 68), more polish and tweaks.

Working on inertia / slide for the winter level.

Can anyone give me any pointers about designing a label for the cart? (and maybe box art - any help or advice would be greatly appreciated).

I'm still a bit away from finishing yet (still things I want to add) but I was thinking of a traditional Activision type label. I know AA store carts are usually Atari style shells not Activision style shells, but I figured an adapted version to fit a regular cart, without the wrap over part would look great and would fit with my game really well.

Thanks for the feedback so far.,

I do have a TON of Activision carts, and think I have an Activision PCB design I could put into production. :)

..Al

• Like 2

I like the death sense. You mentioned an Easter egg. Maybe an underwater or cave race. Maybe the shark eating the biker. Nice work.

If you want to solve the Easter Egg, you need to solve the riddle. Probably put this in the manual too.

If my hidden place you want to see,

Then its first place you have to be,

There are multiple steps to complete this feat,

Don’t dilly dally or accept defeat,

Once you are the champion of the track,

To a time before, you must look back,

Left and right are not the same,

Player two must be to blame!

• Like 1

Just to address some of the great feedback received (thanks to everyone taking time to try the game) :

Decided against a jump function, it made dodging the obstacles too easy in a timed game.

I think all of the requested (and needed) "quality of life" improvements like Reset to start / restart, fire button to start / restart/ skip , left and right to chose mode etc. are all implemented.
Power-ups - I love the idea of power-ups, invulnerability, super traction, stuff like that, but the original design for this game was for something of a twitch racer, short play time, competitive skill. This is something I intend to revisit for a potential sequel, maybe an "arcade" mode with score (and jumps).
AtariVox - again this is something I'd really like to do, especially for score saving, this and 2 player are the last things I really intend to look at for this version.
2 Player - This is something I kept going back to because it's such a great idea (Especially Zacks idea of the Kayak for player 2). I'm going to look at this (and AtariVox support) before I lock the code for features. If I can do it without murdering what I have already and it works and it's fun, then great. If not it goes in the the design for Tyre Trax 2 from the start.
For me, it's really important to finish this project and see it through especially as it's my first original game. I'm inclined to do that with a few features missing and revisit them later in a sequel.
My testing is limited to Stella and my R77. So I'd appreciate any glitch or behavior feedback from folks with Harmony or 7800s etc. (Al noted the clouds flicker once on start, I can't reproduce that on Stella, might be on real hardware only?)
Any additional game-play feedback is also appreciated (is the max scrolling speed too fast, is the bike too slow? etc)
Thanks
Edited by Muddyfunster