IGNORED

[Done] Tyre Trax

Muddyfunster

Hello!

Great game! Fast and fun. Also, it's nice to see logs from Pitfall zoom by ;)

Just one issue: both the PAL 60 and NTSC register as being NTSC (you can see this in Stella under Game properties -> Display). Since I'm playing on a PAL system, I have colours being shifted in both cases, which makes the NTSC version very weird and the PAL okay-ish but too dark in some places, so you don't see the obstacles. Maybe this is a simple declaration in the program that's missing? I don't have a clue how this works, but other PAL games register and display correctly.

Cheers and many thanks for your work

Thanks for your feedback.

The PAL version is a PAL60 version, which means it's identical to the NTSC version but the colours are normalised to the PAL palette. PAL on the 2600 has less colours available, it's not always a 1-1 match. Reds and Yellows usually suffer a bit.

If you can show and example of where the colour is dark compared to the NTSC version, that would help.

when running the PAL60 test ROM In Stella, press CTRL + F until you cycle to PAL60.

Also, the ROMs on this thread are not the final ROMs. Some further minor tweaking happened for those.

If you can show and example of where the colour is dark compared to the NTSC version, that would help.

Hi!

Thanks for replying. I've attached to shots from stella where you can see the shift. Now what I see on my wall (I'm using a projector) is even darker. To give you an idea, The mountains in the background appear black.

Hope this helps

post-35468-0-53099400-1556792458_thumb.png

post-35468-0-40177000-1556792474_thumb.png

as I have another pal 60 game not working as I expected (see below), I experimented further. My usual setup is the following: my light sixer, modded for composite output, goes into my ligawo upscaler to hdmi, and from there to my acer H5380BD projector. This works fine, the output from the harmony is recognised as pal (for the harmony itself and pal games) and outputs at 1080p@60Hz. So far, so good.

Now I have two pal60 games showing opposite behaviours. This one shows the right colours on stella but darker ones through my setup. The upscaler tells me it's receiving NTSC443, though, not PAL.

The other game, Fear of the dark http://atariage.com/forums/topic/280212-fear-of-the-dark-atari-2600/page-3 , shows up in stella but in use through my setup it's the intended yellow.

It got me thinking, though, maybe there is something wrong with my setup. So I took out my old but trusty Toshiba TDP-FF!, a tiny projector that doesn't have hdmi and plugged the console directly into its composite port, and voila ! Reverso ! The projector recognises PAL for both games, but now Fear of the dark is green and Tyre Trax has the correct colours, both just as in Stella on the pal60 setting.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Hot Damn, that's impressive @sramirez2008 glad you had fun with it. Working on getting some patches done for Tyre Trax (and Dare Devil) (and thanks for buying Tyre Trax!).

Thank you for making this game. I ran out of resources at PRGE, but ordered it as soon as the budget allowed. Can't wait to see what the patches (for both games) look like.?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to try this on the Harmony...

I do high scores over at "another place", and the Activision timed games are mebbe my specialty-I'm also currently collecting CIB Activision games(and Patches!!!).

My guess is that this will be my first purchase from the AA store...

:D

Vids look great, excited about this one!

Edited by Rogerpoco

• 1 month later...

Great Game.  I just achieved my patch.  It brought back a lot of memories of when I played games on the Atari.  That Game 4 Achievement was tricky.  Got a lot of 21.2 and 21.3 second place scores.  I believe this game would be a great tournament game at PRGE.  Below are my pictures of my achievements.  Yes, Yes I know.  I am still rocking the VHS tape player with a copy of Titanic.  

leothelowe (1).jpg

leothelowe (2).jpg

leothelowe (3).jpg

leothelowe (4).jpg

Edit: Game 2 did not have the console in the picture so I went and did it again.  Rules are rules. ;)

Game_2_leothelowe.jpg

Edited by leothelowe
Game 2 didn't have console in picture. All other pictures did.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gilles_B said:

Right. Too bad, but thanks for clearing that up. So it uses some of the additional memory functions of the Melody architecture?

It uses the DPC+ kernel, which makes use of hardware assistance to make more graphically complex games.  The manual on RT's site gives a good overview.

• Like 2