IGNORED

Just got a Colecovision off eBay and it doesn't work (surprise I know)

marc.teeters

did you try turning it on without a cartridge. you should get the colecovision logo screen. enough to test so you could rule out a bad game cart. The 7800 rf cable works fine. I've switched back and forth 7800 & colecovision. It has to be going into the coax port of your tv ultimately though. Not rca video in.

It's probably your power supply is no good anymore. if you have another try that.

I don't have one but that seems much easier to find then a Colecovision one. I'll dig around local and see if I can get one.

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

Edited by digress

I normally use a Nintendo RF switch for testing them. It works fine to verify if a picture is coming up at least.

Using an NES RF switch (or any other "autoswitch") is asking for trouble with an old console like this. Those switches are expecting to see a 5v signal on the RF line to trigger the switch over. Older consoles like Coleco, Intellivision, and 2600/7800 don't have that signal will get mixed results at best.

Your best bet is to get a rca to type f adaptor and send the signal straight into the coax input in the TV

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 3

That's why I said for testing. I didn't say I use it all the time. I have a proper manual switch as well if I want to do something beyond see if the Colecovision will display an image.

Although honestly why even use the RF? The video output was never good and even a simple composite mod is exponentially better.

That's why I said for testing. I didn't say I use it all the time. I have a proper manual switch as well if I want to do something beyond see if the Colecovision will display an image.

Although honestly why even use the RF? The video output was never good and even a simple composite mod is exponentially better.

To keep the equipment stock? The same reason you don't always need to rip the engine out of a classic car and upgrade it, or modify the body or lower the suspension.

Growing up as a kid, I was all about modifying cars and classic video games. But the older I get, the more I appreciate a stock classic car/video game system. Obviously if a part goes bad and is no longer replaceable (in cars or video games), I get it. But to me, something is only original once.

Edited by nick3092

While I am all for preservation, it is possible to composite mod the console without damaging the casing. My own personal RGB modded console has no holes cut in it.

You also have to watch because some modern TV's won't even pick up the RF signal.

True but 99% of moders wind up wrecking the case by adding jacks. I've done my fair share. But going forward, no more.

Any used power supply is a gamble. When I bought my first two used ColecoVision systems, the power supply only worked on one of them. I bought two NOS ones about a year ago. I don't see any new ones on eBay now. You could try sending in the power supply to someone who could test it and, if need be, cut it open and fix it. I've heard of people doing that but don't remember who. There are two new improved ones coming out soon, but how soon is anybody's guess.

Are the Canadian power supplies worth the extra money off eBay.

Yes, the Canadian CV Power Supply is considerably more reliable than the U.S. counter part. Regulations were and probably still are much more stringent in Canada so you end up with a much more reliable CV power supply.