IGNORED

Streets of Rage 4

derFunkenstein

I don't really know where to put this thread, but since it'll be out on modern systems I put it here. I can't find another thread, so I have to think it has evaded AA so far.

In case you haven't heard, Streets of Rage is coming back. Dot Emu and Lizardcube have combined to make an all-new SoR game. So far all that's really been announced is that Axel and Blaze are both playable. According to that Ars Technica article, the version on display at PAX is missing music and sound effects, apparently borrowing both from SoR2. There's been a lot of speculation on whether Yuzo Koshiro will come back to do the music, but based on his "no comment" tweet last week, I think this one is in the bag. No question. If he wasn't involved, he'd be able to say so freely.

The trailer gives me lots of feels. The graphics are definitely high-res, but it looks like Streets of Rage. Hopefully it'll play like Streets of Rage, and maybe even sound like Streets of Rage (the first two would be my preference, though SoR3 was an interesting experiment). So here's the trailer.

• Like 2

I will try to be objective as I can about it and give it a fair shake. But this video didn't get me excited at all frankly; just the "OFFICIAL" SOR4 is about all it has going for it (how exciting of them to show us all of two characters and like, two enemies! What is that, like a few hours of programming there?).

Streets of Rage Remake will probably always be the greatest and best brawler (or at the very least the best SOR game) of all time, and Sega are absolute morons for not licensing this (or buying / tweaking it) and high deffing it up for every console and PC.

Double Dragon Neon for XBLA also set a very high bar for a great brawler; I will cross my fingers that this manages to recapture the magic of SOR.

Apart from the countless hours I spent playing SOR2 back in the day and presently, I just have to fondly recall how thrilling the day was that I picked up SOR3 and Rock n' Roll Racing. These two forever cemented the Genesis as a beloved console for me.

And I know this is beyond hope & slightly off topic, but come on Sega, release Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for download for the new consoles already. I can play it in Mame but I want a "real" console version.

Edited by Curious Sofa
  • Like 1

Well, their Wonder Boy came out pretty swell, so call me cautiously optimistic. A lot of the feeling is going to hinge on the gameplay and, well, Yuzo. No Yuzo, no peace.

That's basically how I feel other than you clinging to Yuzo, me I don't care about that. The team behind the gameplay part of it has made a very solid and regarded SOR clone with some terrible(intentional) photo rendered people visuals that's up on steam and it works. I think if they get that Wonderboy look, and the others play style and tweak things between themselves well it should be a solid game. There should still be some inconsolable fanboy whining, there always is, but I think if they do their job well it should be an honorable release. And if not, given how long it has been wanted it'll be a very loud and well earned blasting.

I don't mind the art style since it resembles Double Dragon Neon, all I care about is the gameplay (and hopefully the music) is intact.

It's a shame Sega is not publishing these kinds of remakes (SOR4, Dragon's Trap & Shenmue III) cause they keep pushing the same friggin' Sonic games over & over...

Not entirely. Sonic Mania actually did NOT suck for once in that franchise. :) That one is like these other games, farmed out to people who actually are NOT incompetent.

i don't think he said that they sucked.

he said they keep putting out the same games.

which is true. sonic mania was just a rehashed sonic game again,

even moreso, since it had so many of the original aspects in it.

later

Yeah and the same games out of Sega/Sonic Team have almost consistently have sucked since Sonic Adventure came out. At least Sonic Mania rehashed a period of time when Sonic games were not a disappointment.

the original sonic was the only good game from the original series,

sonic 2 broke the gameplay with 2 player, and useless tales,

sonic 3 just dragged the gameplay out, without adding new.

sonic and knuckles was a gimmick.

sonic cd added better quality music, and gimmicky gameplay going back and forth in time.

so what did sonic mania do, nothing, it basically copied elements from all of those and mashed them together.

sonic mania was just a lazy cash grab.

later

the original sonic was the only good game from the original series,

sonic 2 broke the gameplay with 2 player, and useless tales,

sonic 3 just dragged the gameplay out, without adding new.

sonic and knuckles was a gimmick.

sonic cd added better quality music, and gimmicky gameplay going back and forth in time.

so what did sonic mania do, nothing, it basically copied elements from all of those and mashed them together.

sonic mania was just a lazy cash grab.

later

Uh......

No.

• Like 4

Umm what planet are you from and what kind of drugs do they use there? I don't think I've ever seen that argument made about the old Genesis line of Sonic games like ever. Sonic Mania was no cash grab, if anything it was an apology done by a real fan who got Sega to go along with it. I can't stand most Sonic games and that one is anything but a sellout.

My issue is that Streets of Rage 1 and 2 just felt so intertwined with the entire late 80's/early 90's aesthetic of a Lamborghini Countach driving past neon street signs in a city where it's always night and steam emerges from every manhole cover. Yuzo's club music wrapped it all up with a perfect bow. Blaze wears a red leather jacket and headband in SoR1, for crying out loud.

The artwork and everything else feels like a weird modern ... thing. If they're going to go for an animated rather than realistic look, it should feel more Akira or Bubblegum Crisis.

Sonic Mania was a love letter to old Sonic fans. The biggest criticism (and certainly a valid one) you could throw at it would be to say it didn't have enough new stuff in it, but it was clearly a labor of love, done by an old fan hacker mod guy who eventually developed his own, optimized 2D Sonic engine. Hardly a cash grab. We'd be lucky if SoR 4 comes out nearly as well.

I think it has a good chance to come off well, very well as much as Wonderboy Dragons Trap did. I guess it kind of depends what both your idea of well are, and which game you preferred more (Sonic or Wonderboy.) I appreciate both, but I like Wonderboy a lot more. Sonic has always been the B-team platformer I liked time and again when it was good but never loved. Maybe B-team is a bit harsh, but it better than most the mascot games.

My issue is that Streets of Rage 1 and 2 just felt so intertwined with the entire late 80's/early 90's aesthetic of a Lamborghini Countach driving past neon street signs in a city where it's always night and steam emerges from every manhole cover. Yuzo's club music wrapped it all up with a perfect bow. Blaze wears a red leather jacket and headband in SoR1, for crying out loud.

yea the style of the game was a bit dated when it came out, but its not really a detraction, its got its look

personally I never cared for the series (ducks and runs) its a pretty bog standard walk right and beat shit up, which is not bad, but IMO its kind of boring ... you know its not going to do crazy shit like TMNT or take you though a medieval fantasy like golden axe. Going back to your original point, you pretty much know how the entire game is going to be in the first level

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

My issue is that I’ve never played any of these games, so I think it looks pretty good so far. I was a Nintendo fanboy back when Streets of rage was raging. I’m not really a fan of the art style, but maybe the gameplay will be excellent?

Edited by adamchevy

• 5 weeks later...

I don't like Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles. While I liked Sonic CD back in the day, my current opinion is that it's a game with serious flaws.

That said, Sonic 1 and 2 are great. My current opinion of Sonic Mania is that it's pure joy condensed into videogame form.

I would have definitely preferred SoR4's visuals to follow the Sonic Mania template. Then again, there's always Streets of Rage Remake, which honestly, I feel makes this upcoming SoR4 completely redundant and irrelevant.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

looks like the predictions about this being very poor are starting to look real.

an in depth critique of the gameplay so far,

juggles are too easy,

characters don't play well

graphics don't fit

later

I may well be misunderstanding the level of play that the reviewer has had...

But tbh all of what he's saying sounds like he is predicting that he will be bored with the game "Like I was with Streets of Rage 3" (???!!!?), without really having given this much of a chance. Now a part of the reason I think that is that he is only showing the one five second loop of the gameplay, but another is that he's talking in theoretical terms without any specific examples of actual set in stone gameplay.

He also seems amazingly tired and not fully functional.

So I remain optimistic. Especially after hearing that one of the developers on the game is the team behind Streets of Fury, which was a freaking awesome XBLA game (had elements of Guardian Heroes in it, and some other neat stuff). I didn't hear anything concrete in this video that turned my optimism away on the game, just seemed like someone trying to get clicks and views instead of actually having valuable info or the scoop on the game.