IGNORED

Streets of Rage 4

derFunkenstein

I may well be misunderstanding the level of play that the reviewer has had...

But tbh all of what he's saying sounds like he is predicting that he will be bored with the game "Like I was with Streets of Rage 3" (???!!!?), without really having given this much of a chance. Now a part of the reason I think that is that he is only showing the one five second loop of the gameplay, but another is that he's talking in theoretical terms without any specific examples of actual set in stone gameplay.

He also seems amazingly tired and not fully functional.

So I remain optimistic. Especially after hearing that one of the developers on the game is the team behind Streets of Fury, which was a freaking awesome XBLA game (had elements of Guardian Heroes in it, and some other neat stuff). I didn't hear anything concrete in this video that turned my optimism away on the game, just seemed like someone trying to get clicks and views instead of actually having valuable info or the scoop on the game.

the guy is an expert at the game, he has finished mania mode on sor2 without a death.

basically he's saying the gameplay elements are for casual players, and that there needs

a lot of fine tuning to be done.

it also didn't have any difficulty levels in it.

i trust his word as an expert at the game.

later

the guy is an expert at the game, he has finished mania mode on sor2 without a death.

basically he's saying the gameplay elements are for casual players, and that there needs

a lot of fine tuning to be done.

it also didn't have any difficulty levels in it.

i trust his word as an expert at the game.

later

-

I don't doubt the guy is an expert, and I shouldn't have been quite so pointed in my takeaway from his video (he obviously played it, if in an early build).

But I still retain my optimism. I saw the developer watched his video, commented on YT, said they'd be fixing and tweaking a lot of things and taking his suggestions and comments seriously. Just as they should.

I just don't take his early report to mean it's time to abandon hope for this being good or even great when it is finished. Also, just for perspective, I really really loved SOR3. While I get why he didn't, it made me realize that he and I are looking for very different things in the game. I love SOR2 as well, but thought 3 was fantastic too (not to mention SORR, which he dismisses in the comments saying he doesn't play "unlicensed" games; his freaking loss :) ).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

More footage of this is out from Pax...looking better and better.  Still not sure about the sound effects and music, and those were absolutely integral to the greatness of SoR, so hoping they put some serious effort and time into those parts.

But visually, looking just great.

Getting pumped for this :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a lot of skepticism in this thread. That's a healthy outlook. 

For me, I'm hyped as hell. I understand that this might be setting me up for disappointment when the game actually comes out, but my outlook on life is "always have something to look forward to." Even if this ends up sucking, there are other things for me to look forward to.

I wasn't too hyped for this initially, but I've been playing a lot of Streets of Rage in general lately and so I may look into this when it comes out. I'm still not sure I like the art style, and man I hope there's d-pad support (everyone in that behind the scenes video is using the analog stick, heh), but I'll keep an open mind and look for player feedback when it releases.

8 hours ago, iswitt said:

There seems to be a lot of skepticism in this thread. That's a healthy outlook. 

For me, I'm hyped as hell. I understand that this might be setting me up for disappointment when the game actually comes out, but my outlook on life is "always have something to look forward to." Even if this ends up sucking, there are other things for me to look forward to.

I'm with you, totally up for this and to the point of actually counting on it being awesome.  The people involved have all basically done nothing but wonderful products that I adore, down to each person.  I think the negativity is largely just internet commenting garbage; people trying to get clicks and laughs by being overly critical.  Like that one speedrunner guy who didn't like it, and who revealed that he never liked SoR3, and has never played SORR because well, IMO, he's a tool.  If you want SoR2, keep playing that I guess.  We all love it, nothing wrong with it.   But this is SoR4, it's going to be different.  And I bet I'm going to freaking love it, as I do Streets of Fury for XBLA, Guardian Heroes, and so many other games that these teams have worked on.

• 2 months later...

The next playable character for the game is being revealed next week during PAX East. From what they're teasing, he looks like he could have a ponytail and mechanical arm like Dr. Zan from SoR3, but he's definitely a bit beefier unless his silhouette is misleading. 

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2020/02/21/streets-of-rage-4-fifth-character-to-be-revealed-next-week/

As a huge fan of the series, I just cannot wait for this game to finally get released. I know a lot of people seem to hate the graphical style and say it looks a bit too flash-like, but the smooth animations and weighty looking fisticuffs definitely look true to the original trilogy, and I'm dying to see what's in store. Though I wold love to see Zan or Max reappear, I'm kind of hoping the next playable character they reveal is a new addition to the roster, like Cherry Hunter, just to make the action feel a little more fresh as they've already confirmed that three of the game's five playable characters are returning characters. 

streets of rage 4 5th character.jpg

Edited by DeadPixels
added relevant image
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DeadPixels said:

I know a lot of people seem to hate the graphical style and say it looks a bit too flash-like, but the smooth animations and weighty looking fisticuffs definitely look true to the original trilogy

Yes, I tend to think HD graphics don't look "flash-like" if animation is smooth enough, like in Dragon's Trap (same lead artist) or Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero for instance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, I tend to think HD graphics don't look "flash-like" if animation is smooth enough, like in Dragon's Trap (same lead artist) or Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero for instance.

Throw Ducktales Remastered in that list too, also put out by WayForward.  :) 

I absolutely cannot wait for a release date reveal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

Insane news about this game...as if we weren't excited enough already!  Check this out:

Adding a bunch of skins to the characters that don't fit the graphics doesn't help the gameplay or

the mechanics.

And allowing the old soundtracks really doesn't add anything else.

It would have more impressive if there was an actual mode, that used pixel graphics, instead of the

cell shaded ones.

sorry, you can't fix the game with skins or music mods.

later

Edited by negative1

35 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

I'm good with adding the real soundtracks, but yeah, the pixel art seems out of place. 

I'm going to be crushed if this game isn't decent. 

There's already plenty of footage showing the gameplay and mechanics

to judge whether it is good or not.

They changed a lot of the game mechanics, juggling, dual attacks, etc,

so if those don't appeal to you, then the gameplay won't either.

later

8 hours ago, negative1 said:

Adding a bunch of skins to the characters that don't fit the graphics doesn't help the gameplay or

the mechanics.

And allowing the old soundtracks really doesn't add anything else.

It would have more impressive if there was an actual mode, that used pixel graphics, instead of the

cell shaded ones.

sorry, you can't fix the game with skins or music mods.

later

Obviously we are coming at this from opposite angles.  I know I am too excited about it, guilty.

But saying the game needs fixed when you haven't played it...seems to be taking the word of ...someone? Without giving it a fair shake.

I mean, if it arrives and the gameplay sucks, YES, agreed, skins or even the original music (IMO SOR2 had the greatest video game soundtrack of all time) wouldn't fix it.

But if you played Streets of Fury, you may have more faith in the developer's talents.  I LOVED that silly Xbox Live Indie Game, it was a madcap combo of Guardian Heroes and SoR to me.  Put many hours in, loved it.  It gives me optimism on the gameplay front.

For my part, look weird though they do... I think the original graphics look kind of hilarious...and I'm just excited to play as Dr. Zan.

I don't think this game will end up being better than SoRR...but I am hopeful it will compete.  And I know that's an insanely optimistic, high hope, but that's where I'm at with it personally.  Loving everything I hear about it, sounds like a project involving a ton of effort and love for the series by passionate devs.

13 hours ago, negative1 said:

cell shaded ones.

It would have been more impressive, sure, but also a lot of work to create pixelart for every background (12 levels), ennemies and objects.

I've seen this reaction a lot on Facebook and I would have prefered pixelart too, but it's obvious they added that as an afterthought, a funny bonus feature.

I've had the opportunity to try it and the gameplay is good, very similar to SoR2.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm excited too but I think they won't get money from me since I'm still hoping for a review copy... ?

But will it be a real copy of the game or just a download code?

I definitely will get the one in the fake Genesis case. I'm like the only person in the whole world who had a Genesis/Mega Drive but never played these games back then. Only played them for the first time last year, and even then only for maybe 5 minutes each. Will get around to it eventually. Better in 2 player mode, I think.