Sign in to follow this  
derFunkenstein

Streets of Rage 4

On 5/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, Zoyous said:

Thanks for the links! I remember how popular Enigma was for a while back then. Always using the same flute sample in all their hits!

Well, I love to geek out on music, so I analyzed both tracks and they are actually pretty different. They do have a similar vibe in a way, and they have a similar swing to the drum patterns, but other than that they are quite different. You can easily hear that they clash if you beatmatch them ("Principles of Lust" is around 95 bpm and the Streets intro is about 100 bpm) and play them simultaneously.

Here are the chord progressions:

"Principles of Lust" alternates between G minor and Bb Major chords.

The Streets 2 intro alternates between F Harmonic Major and D Major.

Here's the Enigma bassline:

bass_enigma.thumb.jpg.72a5b95c4f85bbf27f976b45b2ac1208.jpg

and the Yuzo Koshiro bassline:

bass_yuzo.thumb.jpg.da022a18aceea0f838b6065ee9010bae.jpg

And lastly, although the drum patterns have a similar swing, you can see that the patterns are quite different as well:

Here's the Enigma drum pattern. Most of the action that might typically be played on a high hat is actually a brush on the snare, but to compare to Yuzo's composition I transposed that to the high hat (C#2 here):

drums_enigma.thumb.jpg.f1f7e2ded8f2b430ad43cb79f66ed092.jpg

and Yuzo Koshiro's drum pattern:

drums_yuzo.thumb.jpg.a5c32759342ddd7562849e647f755bf3.jpg

So in summation, I would say, sure they have a similar vibe and could even be worked into a DJ mix together because of it... however, you would have to break the crossfade down to just the drums to do it because the chord progressions clash. An inspiration? Certainly. However, the word "plagiarize" has only one specific meaning with legal ramifications, and if misused could be considered slander. It's a serious word to use when referring to an artist's work, so that's why I raised an eyebrow. And people on the internet can really take misinformation and run with it. But please consider my post an exploration for fun and appreciation of the music. Both of the artists are classic and it's fun to speculate on their inspirations.

While I respect your effort and don't doubt the technicality of this, we are not talking about Huey Lewis & the News vs Ray Parker Jr. here :)

I agree about the phrase Plagiarize, but I don't think the original poster who said that perhaps meant it in the specific legal way.  Or maybe he did.

My example wasn't intended to be that serious, other than to say "listen to these, they're the same".  When my friends and I first booted up SoR2 back in the day, the comment was "Hey that's Enigma!".  :)

On a lighter and only slightly related note, I drop this, a video I have watched a million times with great enjoyment:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious Sofa said:

I agree about the phrase Plagiarize, but I don't think the original poster who said that perhaps meant it in the specific legal way.  Or maybe he did.

No I didn't, that's why I added "in a good way" and clarified after that I think it's an awesome achievement anyway. My favorite band is mostly known for a huge hit from the 80s which is strongly inspired by a Donna Summer song. They basically tried to program it on a soundtracker. ;)
And by the way, comparing SoR2's introduction to "Principles of Lust" is not that relevant, since SoR1's introduction was already inspired by this song, and SoR2's one is derived from it.

If you want compelling examples without watching the 50' video I shared, here are the two most famous:

5 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

While I respect your effort and don't doubt the technicality of this, we are not talking about Huey Lewis & the News vs Ray Parker Jr. here :)

My example wasn't intended to be that serious, other than to say "listen to these, they're the same".  When my friends and I first booted up SoR2 back in the day, the comment was "Hey that's Enigma!".  :)

On a lighter and only slightly related note, I drop this, a video I have watched a million times with great enjoyment:

I own all of Smooth McGroove's albums- just simply fantastic work.

• Like 1

And just to throw this out there, though it doesn't differ from my initial impression and no one will be surprised to hear it...

I just LOVE the game.  I have already put more time into it than any other Switch game (save a couple of tower defense games as I'm a sucker for those and they take a long time to play through).  I am savoring it and taking it slow, so I've not opened up everything yet.  

Love the nostalgic throwback touches, the secrets, the tricks, and a lot of the funny background stuff too.

It just feels like a project of much effort and time, and care, and passion, and it's exactly what I hoped it would be.

I toughed it out and beat it on Normal with Axel first, and that took a lot of patience and helped me in my learning curve.  Axel is somewhat known to be a weaker character though for my style he fits it well.  Did a 2nd playthrough on Hard with mostly Floyd, he is an animal in groups (just keep picking up pairs of enemies and smashing them together, heh!).

Haven't had much success with Cherry; she has a dash but I just don't have her range figured out.  Never was very good with Skate either, so it tracks.

Spoilers for one thing I didn't love, and a brief mention of something else weird and funny

Spoiler

The "ending".  Given how polished this game is, so surprised there's no story ending.  Seems like they had to cut it or something?  Hoping that will be included in an update, maybe?  And possibly...character specific endings?  IDK, just seemed like the one "stone left unturned".  they had such a cool comic book art style too with the prior (if simple) story.

Also...lol at the giant purple uh...you know, "To: Paris" at the end of the art gallery.  Next to the big purple teddy bear.  I keep chuckling about it.

https://time.com/3525271/parisian-sex-toy-christmas-tree-butt-plug/

• Like 1