IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 3: Sunset Riders

Leto27

Does anyone know how to turn the volume down in MAME?

It says ctrl - , but nothing happens when I press that.

press the tilde key then use the left right arrow keys to adjust volume level the press the tilde key to get out of that mode.

tilde key is right below the ESC key on a qwerty keyboard

• Like 1

Will these two weeks ever, ever end? Sunset Riders is completely destroying my confidence as a video game player. There are players on here scoring triple-digit scores on three lives and the most I can manage is 18,000. I'm far from the best gamer out there but given a couple of weeks I can usually get a handle on a game pretty well, or at least enough to manage a middle or upper-middle placement in the 2600 HSC. Mind you, I'm biased. This early-'90s walking, scrolling, jumping, platformer shit is the era in video games I dislike the most. Having said that, when I let the competitive part go and play a just-for-fun game on easy difficulty, I actually really enjoy Sunset Riders even if I still get slaughtered most of the time.

Sorry about the whinefest. Had to vent.

Will these two weeks ever, ever end? Sunset Riders is completely destroying my confidence as a video game player. There are players on here scoring triple-digit scores on three lives and the most I can manage is 18,000. I'm far from the best gamer out there but given a couple of weeks I can usually get a handle on a game pretty well, or at least enough to manage a middle or upper-middle placement in the 2600 HSC. Mind you, I'm biased. This early-'90s walking, scrolling, jumping, platformer shit is the era in video games I dislike the most. Having said that, when I let the competitive part go and play a just-for-fun game on easy difficulty, I actually really enjoy Sunset Riders even if I still get slaughtered most of the time.

we all have our favorites. just do well in yours

• Like 1

I am assuming that continues are NOT allowed?

as continuing does not reset the score

Yes, you are correct just one credit allowed, I didn't publish as that, because I was assuming that everybody will do that way, but in the next post will be published

Don't bother. I asked before and no one answered. I just assumed that the rules as outlined in the rules are the rules, although the scores people are getting on one credit seem impossible to me.

Sorry, I was assuming that everybody will play that way ( one credit per play ).In the next post will be published how many credits are allowed

Fair enough, though as hero2billions said we all are worse/better at some styles. I for example can not stand, or fathom how to play, all the Pac Man-style games.

Funny thing about this one is I actually find it quite "easy" to play, even though I'm just a fairly average ,mid-table arcader. Once you get the double and rapid fire you just have to keep blasting in all directions and most things simply die :D There's even no need for some constant dodging like in most other games. Sure, you need to remember about some special events like the fire bridge or the coach & black rider in Stage 2, but there's not that many of these.

Big scores here are a bit misleading since it's one of these games where you get huge bounties for bosses. One tip for the three first ones is to make sure to take out the henchmen first, then concentrate on the boss. Let him shoot and then move, otherwise the spread might get you.

• Like 1

Fair enough, though as hero2billions said we all are worse/better at some styles. I for example can not stand, or fathom how to play, all the Pac Man-style games.

Funny thing about this one is I actually find it quite "easy" to play, even though I'm just a fairly average ,mid-table arcader. Once you get the double and rapid fire you just have to keep blasting in all directions and most things simply die :D There's even no need for some constant dodging like in most other games. Sure, you need to remember about some special events like the fire bridge or the coach & black rider in Stage 2, but there's not that many of these.

Big scores here are a bit misleading since it's one of these games where you get huge bounties for bosses. One tip for the three first ones is to make sure to take out the henchmen first, then concentrate on the boss. Let him shoot and then move, otherwise the spread might get you.

Thanks Youxia. You make a fair point -- I've never been good at these particular kinds of games (if you want to see something truly embarrassing you should see me try to play a Mega Man 2, which except for its setting is practically the same game). I do better on practically anything that existed prior to 1986.

Interesting thing about Sunset Riders and their ilk is that they are even more rigid where it comes to patterns than even a "fixed" game like Pac-Man or Dig Dug, even though it appears to be happening in an open environment. Go against the pattern and you're dead -- period.

Maybe you have some advice for the first level, the last two stores before the second round of bulls. This is where shit just goes sideways and there are bullets flying everywhere. I'm actually not bad at the boss part of that level (unless I shoot a barrel and it flattens me) but the part right before that -- hooboy.

Maybe you have some advice for the first level, the last two stores before the second round of bulls. This is where shit just goes sideways and there are bullets flying everywhere. I'm actually not bad at the boss part of that level (unless I shoot a barrel and it flattens me) but the part right before that -- hooboy.

My advice is stop a lot -- go along a little bit slowly, blasting everyone and moving on a little more.

[Oh, and go in all the saloon doors for possible weapon power-ups]

Edited by S.BAZ

Thanks Youxia. You make a fair point -- I've never been good at these particular kinds of games (if you want to see something truly embarrassing you should see me try to play a Mega Man 2, which except for its setting is practically the same game). I do better on practically anything that existed prior to 1986.

Interesting thing about Sunset Riders and their ilk is that they are even more rigid where it comes to patterns than even a "fixed" game like Pac-Man or Dig Dug, even though it appears to be happening in an open environment. Go against the pattern and you're dead -- period.

Yeah, while I like this game, I'm not big on playing these types of games for score.

I can't give many tips for the 1st level as I thought it was pretty straight forward aside from the fire on bridge part - make sure to jump down as soon as possible there. Also, don't forget to hold the button down once you have rapid fire. It took me a few playthroughs to figure that out.

Anyway the 2nd level is really difficult for me as I have trouble judging the hit box while on the horse. I also can't seem to beat the 2nd boss and I can only ever get to him with one life.

Some good news. While it's not a score that will count in this competition, from a personal perspective I'm happy to announce that I achieved 57,800 on a single credit on easy mode. That's the best I've done on ANY mode in this game. Thanks to youxia's and Ramses' advice I was able to get much further than usual. And I made some discoveries of my own. I never even realized that the cowboys can only ever shoot in one direction -- I can't believe I never noticed that! (Maybe I never realized that because of how fast everything moves in hard mode.) I also never realized that you can pick up dynamite and throw it.