IGNORED

Best TI-99/4A Emulator for Windows 10 64bit?

Everett1954

as i posted on your other post, why ctg files? those are just converted files for ti99sim right? they are the same as the existing binaries for the regular emulators such as classic99 mame js99er etc

the simplest to use is classic99 the most options are in mame and the easiest to cross platform is js99er

• Like 1

Yeah Classic99 and JS99er are the two I use and the only ones I ever will use. There IS one that uses .CTG files but the whole thing's a bit too "special needs" for me, it's just messing around too much lol

Classic99 and JS99er will let you paste your code into them from a notepad entry which makes developing software on them a dream.

There are quite a many good emulators for the TI. Just depends on exactly what you really want to do for it and what your personal preference is. I suggest try a few like Classic99, JS99er and MAME.

I run both Classic99 and MAME Classic99 is super easy to setup and easy to load cartridges and utilizes DSK files too.

MAME take a bit more to setup correctly not hard, just a bit more time. It does have quite a bit of hardware emulation for the TI-99 and Geneve 9640 for expansion cards, like Hard Floppy disk controller, Horizon Ram Disk and more. It also uses DSK files.

both have readily available cartridges (all of them probably).. MAME also interfaces with Michael Zapf's TIIMAGETOOL which can be used to create a serial bridge to connect out to telnet bases BBS.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've tried various emulators over the years, and for me Classic 99 was the best option for the ON YOUR COMPUTER system.

Why did I choose Classic 99?

1) For a Newbie, it's so freaking simple to put on your computer and start running.

2) I don't like having to futz with stuff, I want it to work, Classic 99 does that, and does it very well.

3) It comes with the ROMS, GROMS and other doodads that you sometimes have to hunt down with other emulators.

4) As you grow, you'll find it can do more.

5) It seems to run everything.

The only below par thing would be the speech synthesizer's voice emulation.

JS99er is an option for someone who does not want to install anything at all. Go to the website and you'll find all kinds of goodies built in. Of course it will also allow you to run stuff off of your own storage device as well.

One word of warning though, Classic 99 can be called the 'crack cocaine of TI emulators'... once you start playing with it, you may get addicted and be drawn into the real iron scene. It's happened to many of us here, including myself. I might also add that Classic 99 plays well with sharing files with a real TI via HDX or TIPI.

I think MESS is the best but also the worst possible to set up and fix.

Seems to work best with Unix or Linux, and I have given up on Windows versions as they crash and can never figure out how to fix it.

I have devoted days to fixing MESS and have given up on how to get it to work with Windows computers.

The most popular is Classic99 due to MESS lack of ease of use.

So best....depends on how much work you want to put into it using that emulator.

MESS was easy for me to setup on a Windows machine. MAME was more of an initial struggle to configure the way I wanted as I have a 250+ character command line string to load and run. Best bet is to write the command string with a text editor so you do not have to preconfigure each and every time you load it

For me, the big use for either MESS or MAME was for the Geneve. Now that I have the real iron, I find I am using MAME less. When I do use MAME, it is predominantly for debug purposes as it is so easy to see what the code is doing with the mutlipe memory screens one can have with multiple monitors to see what memory and registers are doing.

Beery

• Like 1

I generally use MAME on Windows so that I can run any of the 99/x series computers (99/2, 99/8, etc). But I also will say Classic99 is a great emulator, and there are things it does that you can't do in MAME that make things very easy to interchange with a real 99/4A (especially if you have a TIPI hooked up to it).

I think MESS is the best but also the worst possible to set up and fix.

Seems to work best with Unix or Linux, and I have given up on Windows versions as they crash and can never figure out how to fix it.

I have devoted days to fixing MESS and have given up on how to get it to work with Windows computers.

The most popular is Classic99 due to MESS lack of ease of use.

So best....depends on how much work you want to put into it using that emulator.

I use mess 0.79 on win XP SP2 most... often it fails me...

1st thing... always use C:\MESS, or all fixes will eventually fail.

2nd OPTIONS menu, RESET TO DEFAULT... brings up "Reset Options dialog box... CHECK All systems to use default options. Hit OK.

if that fails...

3rd Delete "MESSui.ini" (restore bakup).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well how about a BETA instead of a Alpha. (Built from B OS)

Haiku is an upgrade from BeOS, but is not the same as ReactOs, ReactOs is supposed to be designed for you to run windows apps, games, etc. as if you were doing it in Windows itself. BeOs was it's own OS something on the order of Linux, and I imagine the Haiku is similar. But it is still an active OS and maube there has been Win98-Win10 compatabilty built in?

Haiku is an upgrade from BeOS, but is not the same as ReactOs, ReactOs is supposed to be designed for you to run windows apps, games, etc. as if you were doing it in Windows itself. BeOs was it's own OS something on the order of Linux, and I imagine the Haiku is similar. But it is still an active OS and maube there has been Win98-Win10 compatabilty built in?

Actually be os was supposed to be like intuition the Amigados gui

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk