IGNORED

VBXE NTSC ISSUES

Kernal

So I bought the modified atari from BobBug in Scotland... and I got a scart to Atari st monitor cable from him and I ordered a SCART to RCA adapter

the sound outputs fine but no video.. I can tell the VBXE is working but I need to convert from PAL to NTSC..

Can someone put a link to an appropriate adapter that will go from Atari ST Monitor to VGA or ST monitor to RCA and The Appropriate Upscaler i need for either option?

Its the 13 pin DIN Connector the ST Monitor uses.. the cable Bob gave me is ST to SCART.. I need ST To VGA or NTSC RCA..

SCART to RCA isn't going to work, since you'll just get composite out of the RCA, and VBXE isn't driving the composite signal at all (it's outputting 15KHz RGB).

Your best bet is either a SCART TV (hard to find in the USA), or a GBS-8200 or GBS-8220 scan doubler (available on eBay, although other upscalers are also available). You'd also need a DIN-13 to DB15 cable. I once built a setup exactly like this for a client and it worked great.

No need to convert PAL to NTSC, BTW, since RGB is TV standard agnostic as far as colour palette and encoding. You can swap the PAL GTIA and ANTIC for NTSC parts and move the VBXE master crystal jumper if you really need the NTSC aspect ratio, however.

ok so i need to get a ST montitor plug to vga and hook up the GBS-8200 to the vga plug and i need another vga plug for the output to the monitor. thats not too bad.. its doable =) Luckily i have a commodore monitor that accepts PAL just in black + white.. I dont need the NTSC Aspect ratio.. so im not gonna go to switching out the ANTIC and GTIA.. just need the two things you've described.. Ill order a GBS-8220 today and a din13 to db15

SCART to RCA isn't going to work, since you'll just get composite out of the RCA, and VBXE isn't driving the composite signal at all (it's outputting 15KHz RGB).

Your best bet is either a SCART TV (hard to find in the USA), or a GBS-8200 or GBS-8220 scan doubler (available on eBay, although other upscalers are also available). You'd also need a DIN-13 to DB15 cable. I once built a setup exactly like this for a client and it worked great.

No need to convert PAL to NTSC, BTW, since RGB is TV standard agnostic as far as colour palette and encoding. You can swap the PAL GTIA and ANTIC for NTSC parts and move the VBXE master crystal jumper if you really need the NTSC aspect ratio, however.

You actually did the install for BOB on this atari.. you did a great job on it.. i just need to build a cable now that this atari is in america... so.. i need DIm13 to DB 15 and then another VGA cable or Composite cable out the other side to the tv or monitor...

If you know of a link to get the dim13 to db 15 i cant seem to find that one anywhere but i did find the gbs8220

You don’t get it......it doesn’t put out PAL or NTSC. It puts out RGB which is universally the same signal.

No I get it now.. im gonna take the scart end off this and put a db15 and connect the 1,2,3 pins on the db15 to the red green and blue... and then 13 is theh ground..

Audio Out 1 Audio connector Monochrome Detect 4 Open Green 6 2 2 Red 7 1 1 H-Sync 9 13 4 Blue 10 3 3 V-Sync 12 14 5 GND 13 6.7.8.10 6.7.8.9

so ill build a cable for the input side of the GBS-8220 and then a normal vga to vga for the output side...

Edited by Kernal

You actually did the install for BOB on this atari.. you did a great job on it.. i just need to build a cable now that this atari is in america... so.. i need DIm13 to DB 15 and then another VGA cable or Composite cable out the other side to the tv or monitor...

Ah... another of my forgotten offspring. :) Yeah: you want a DIN13 to DB15 with the L/R audio hooked up to a pair of RCA connectors which will bypass the scan doubler and go straight to the TV.

If you know of a link to get the dim13 to db 15 i cant seem to find that one anywhere but i did find the gbs8220

I don't imagine anyone manufactures such cables for general sale. I could probably make one but I'm not even 100 per cent sure of the exact pinout I used at the DIN end (we changed the wiring plan a little when the 1088XEL came along).

As mentioned above, there are other alternatives (a DIN13->DB9 for connection to a Philips CM8833-II or 1084S CRT, for example), and you'll tend to get a cleaner signal if you opt for a direct connection. But the GBS-82xx worked well enough when I tested it (I still have one here).

Since it's RGB the problem is getting a monitor that can do 50 Hz and with steady picture and without flickering.

The 1084 should be helpful there. I know that they'll often only do their native standard for S-Video + composite in full colour but should do RGB at 50/60 OK.

Alternative is to use an arcade EGA/CGA converter board such as the GBS 8200 series. Though they don't come encased, you've got to make your own arrangements.

Yes Im ordering a GBS-8220 on friday when i get my check.. so the GBS has a DB-9 connect for an input and the a vga db-15 for out put correct?

Im gonna take the scart end off the exsisting cable bob gave me and put a db-9 with the correct pinout arranged (i have the pinout schematic) and then i have a spare vga cable for the out put on the other side of the gbs.. so where can i get an enclosure made for the gbs-8220? I might be able to make one once i figure out the size of the thing.. if someone has the measurements of the gbs-8220 please send it along so i can go to radio shack and go get an appropriate enclosure.

The GBS-8220 uses DB15 for input as well, but there's a header on the board to which you can solder a DB9 if you wish (if you're going to put the device in a case, for example). That's what I did when I cased one of the things up for someone, and this allowed the same VBXE cable (DIN13 to DB9/RCA audio) to be used with both a suitable 15KHz CRT (1084S, etc) and the scan-doubler itself. On another occasion (when no casing was requested), I built the customer a DIN13 to DB15 cable.

I forget where I got the project box for the GBS, which is rather frustrating. If I can find my GBS later on, I'll post the dimensions.

The GBS-8220 uses DB15 for input as well, but there's a header on the board to which you can solder a DB9 if you wish (if you're going to put the device in a case, for example). That's what I did when I cased one of the things up for someone, and this allowed the same VBXE cable (DIN13 to DB9/RCA audio) to be used with both a suitable 15KHz CRT (1084S, etc) and the scan-doubler itself. On another occasion (when no casing was requested), I built the customer a DIN13 to DB15 cable.

I forget where I got the project box for the GBS, which is rather frustrating. If I can find my GBS later on, I'll post the dimensions.

Thank you very much for your help.. =) i just want to get this working im verry excited to finallly have a vbxe atari and just want to get this working here in the US

also flashjazz how is the gui project coming along.. and i noticed this side2 doesnt have the option for the gui loader.. is this an older version of the ultimate1mb and how do i upgrade it.. i need to read the pdf's on your website to update this so i have the most up to date firmware.. i just want to get everything working before i update anything. im fine with black and white on the commodore monitor until i get the appropriate cables and such... i get paid on friday or saturday so i will definitley be doing some shopping this weekend. but i dont want to spend 2000 dollars on a sony monitor.. funny a few years ago when they were clearing out the old tv station down the road i could have gotten a few of these.

missed opportunity.

also flashjazz how is the gui project coming along..

Slowly. I spent the past three years working on new firmware for the U1MB, Incognito and SIDE, a loader for the Ultimate Cart, firmware for the 1088XEL, plus various other side projects. Not much time for the GOS since I implemented multitasking in 2014. :)

...and i noticed this side2 doesnt have the option for the gui loader..

You can flash anything you like to SIDE2, including a build of the WIP GOS (which replaces the SIDE loader). I didn't release this yet, however, and there's not much point at the moment.

is this an older version of the ultimate1mb and how do i upgrade it..

See below:

i need to read the pdf's on your website to update this so i have the most up to date firmware..

i just want to get everything working before i update anything.

That makes sense. :)

Im really excited about GOS... once it becomes full functional it will revolutionize the way we use our ataris' ull see. and it will all be because of you..

but yeah how much would it cost to get you to build me a cable from din13 to db 15 for the gbs8220?

i get paid on friday so if u can do it for me.. id be greatly appreciated.. im soooo excited to finally have a souped up atari.. and im going to finish my atari version of Daleks of skaro which will be a vbxe game..

(i might make a text based version for non vbxe atari's) and im going to make a post in the programming section asking for assistance and helpers and co-programmers maybe in a few minutes..