IGNORED

Wii remote cursor on the Wii U dashboard

Atariboy

Having an odd issue. I don't usually try navigating the Wii U menu with one of these, but I did today for the first time in probably a couple of years and noticed that my cursor isn't showing up on my screen.

The cursor works fine in Wii mode. It also vibrates as I scroll over icons on the Wii U dashboard and I can see a grayed out cursor on-screen when I hit the Wii remote's home button to bring up the controller screen, but it won't actually display an on-screen cursor in the Wii U's main menu.

Yet if I select an icon when I feel the remote rumble, I briefly can see the same grayed out cursor I get at the controller screen as my selection starts to load, but that's it.

Anyone have any idea what could be up? Obviously isn't the remote or my sensor bar since both work elsewhere on my Wii U, just not in the Wii U's main menu itself with my various channel icons.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't think so. Something odd is going on since it wouldn't partially work like this.

Nintendo wouldn't code the OS so that you could blindly navigate it using Wii remote pointer controls, with no visual cue displayed on-screen to tell you what you're actually pointing at.

I just don't have a clue what's up. I did update the firmware this morning thanks to the first system update in a year or so going up today, so part of me is wondering if this is Nintendo's screwup and the patch broke something in the OS.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't remember being able to navigate the main Wii U menu with a Wii Remote. I'll have to try it soon and see what happens.

*edit: System update, eh? I wonder if this is going to effect the Wii U hack that I've been reading about recently.

Edited by Austin

Does the cursor have a number "2" on it? If so, that means it's the 2nd remote paired (player 2) and it can't select things from the menu. Go into the controller settings (using the gamepad) and make it the primary remote.

If that's not the issue, then I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems like I had the same issue once (quite a while ago), but I don't remember what caused it.

Yeah, it's not that. The Wiimote is controller #1.

I did discover the cause though and feel stupid now since it was just user error. I've had it disconnected from the tv recently to free up a HDMI port and was looking at the gamepad screen (I should've mentioned that fact earlier), wanting to test out a new joystick I had just popped into an Emio arcade stick. Yet on the dashboard with a Wii remote, the cursor is always interacting with whatever is supposed to be displayed on the tv screen.

So when I thought I was blindly activating things at this screen on my gamepad, I actually was activating things at this screen that was supposed to be displayed on my tv. Unsure why the Wii cursor is allowed to be displayed at certain sub-menus on the Wii U dashboard on the gamepad display, but that's why I was able to see an odd looking grayed out cursor at times.

I had a feeling it was something stupid that was my fault, it just took a while for me to pin it down. I've spent so much time with off-screen play that it just slipped my mind that the Wii U dashboard essentially has a dual screen setup, with the Wii cursor obviously on the tv screen instead of the gamepad screen.

Edited by Atariboy

I had a feeling it was something stupid that was my fault, it just took a while for me to pin it down. I've spent so much time with off-screen play that it just slipped my mind that the Wii U dashboard essentially has a dual screen setup, with the Wii cursor obviously on the tv screen instead of the gamepad screen.

Hey, no worries. I feel stupid too. First thing I did when I woke up tonight was test to see if Wiimotes work on the Wii U menu (it has been ages since I tried), and sure enough, they work just fine. Glad to know it wasn't a firmware issue for you.

post-24675-0-96073600-1536212754_thumb.jpg