IGNORED

Did Red Sea Crossing ever have a genuine retail box?

Swami

Or was it sold just as a cart? Did it have a manual? Any evidence or lost to history?

What about others like Gamma Attack and Birthday Mania? Did they originally come with a box or manual? There was conflicting evidence about Extra Terrestrials in that thread-that-shall-not-be-named. I'm guessing it will be the same or lost to history for the others.

A Red Sea Crossing manual or box has yet to be confirmed as having been made, let alone seen. But surely it would have at lest come with some kind of paper sheet instructions identifying what was what and how to play.

A simple folded birthday Mania instruction paper does exist, as shown in the picture provided by the records office, but has yet to be officially found. No box.

some paperwork exists for Gamma Attack, but its unclear what was what and it has yet to be found in the wild.

Extra Terrestrials is what it is. And about to be stripped of its title anyhow.

A Red Sea Crossing manual or box has yet to be confirmed as having been made, let alone seen. But surely it would have at lest come with some kind of paper sheet instructions identifying what was what and how to play.

A simple folded birthday Mania instruction paper does exist, as shown in the picture provided by the records office, but has yet to be officially found. No box.

some paperwork exists for Gamma Attack, but its unclear what was what and it has yet to be found in the wild.

Extra Terrestrials is what it is. And about to be stripped of its title anyhow.

What little I can find is there are some scans in atarimania for instruction sheets for all but red sea crossing, but the one for Extra Terrestrials is obviously a remake. Hard for me to tell if the.others are originals, although, they appear more genuine. The Gamma-Attack one may possibly have been black and white originally or a photocopy. The ad for Red Sea Crossing says it would come with a coloring book and "explanatory" audio cassette tape, at least in the ad, but hard to say if they were distributed. The ad says you can order it by "calling today", so seems very likely. Those would be very interesting finds. Nothing about boxes, of course. Nothing seemed very conclusive to me from the information there.

Arguably, those who actually purchased any of those 3 elusive 2600 games (RSC, BM, GA) would have received it in the mail. And if they did not have a box (which we know they of course most likely did not) then arguably whatever packet, parcel, padded envelope, or shipping box it arrived in at your home, could then be considered the box for the game. So for the CIB purists, have fun with them apples.

• Like 3

That seems likely since I would imagine illustrated boxes were mainly for store shelf eye-grabbing purposes and there would not be a need for that in mail order since boxes were considered disposable then.

It's also likely if someone ever saw the Red Sea Crossing coloring book or cassette, they would have no idea it had anything to do with the game.

... but the one for Extra Terrestrials is obviously a remake. ...

The box and manual that exist for Extra Terrestrials were created for the reproductions. I did the design for both. The artwork was based on the graphics on the cartridge labels.

Nobody is certain about original boxes or manuals. Some of the creators think that there might have been one, but don't remember for sure.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 12:29 PM, high voltage said:

Did Eli's Ladder have a box?

No.  Like all of the other titles mentioned here, Eli's Ladder was not sold at retail and thus there was no reason for Simage to produce a formal box for it.  All it came with was a manual, two overlays (a la Space Shuttle), and some charts and sticker sheets.  I would imagine these came in some type of shipping box, but I don't think I've ever seen an original.  CPUWIZ did produce an aftermarket box for it at one point, as he did for MagiCard and several others.

I actually tracked down the guy behind Simage recently, but he didn't respond to any of the questions I sent him regarding Eli's Ladder.