IGNORED

Compute! Apple Applications magazine. Anyone have?

CaptainBreakout

I keyword searched the standard Compute! magazines, pdf issues 1-168, didn't find text for Mosquito Madness. I also searched a ton of apple II PD stuff, no luck there either.

I may have more material to go through. So don't give up.

From how and where do you recall/remember seeing this game?

Sorry, nope, no Mosquito Madness. I have:

Spring/Summer '87 (Biker Dave, Picture Maker)

Dec '87 (Vulcan Mines, ProDesk, The Clipper, Numbers Construction Set)

Feb '88 (Laser Chess, Disk Alarm)

I always enjoy reading through computer magazines from the 80s. I don't know how I was able to keep them all these years but I'm glad I did.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. One important thing to note is the is Compute's Apple Applications NOT the standard Compute magazines.

There was a low circulation for these (much lower then Compute)... It was a quarterly specific for the Apple II (like Compute's Gazette was for the C64).

It's much harder to find scans of these, although I have seen a few issues. Carlsson says it's in 1988 issues 1 and 2.

It was a quarterly specific for the Apple II (like Compute's Gazette was for the C64).

FWIW, the one I have are Compute's Apple Applications. As noted, two of them have the month/year on the cover and one is just "Spring/Summer." Not sure if they actually changed to monthly at some point or if they just changed how they're labelled. I subscribed to Compute! but bought Apple Applications at the newsstand a few times when I got my //c.

Good luck, CaptainBreakout, I hope you find the game!

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Thank you BydoEmpire. Thanks for the info there. I might ask if you can send me a scan of Vulcan Mines... I can't remember if Ive got that on the compilation disks come to think of it. I'm out of town, and I'll check when I get back.

I hear you there... Wish I still had my copies. My father pitched em all ... Boxes of Compute, Nibble and A+. Another one of those regrettable moments when vintage stuff goes into Oblivion.

Haven't heard back yet from the Computer History Museum.

I'll post the three completed DSK images volumes of all the type-in I've found here in this thread, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I keyword searched the standard Compute! magazines, pdf issues 1-168, didn't find text for Mosquito Madness. I also searched a ton of apple II PD stuff, no luck there either.

I may have more material to go through. So don't give up.

From how and where do you recall/remember seeing this game?

I'm 99% sure it was a Compute type-in (looking like from an issue of Apple Applications). I don't know how it could have been anything else. I'm also fairly certain it had two or possibly three sub-programs, one being basic and the other being "machine language" entered with MLX. I think the ML part was called Mosquito.shapes and mosquito.ml or something.

There was another guy on applefritter who was looking for this a few years ago, along with Rat Race (which we eventually found).

(I was so happy to have found Rat Race, I spent a bunch of time improving the in-game menu. I'll post that version here eventually.)

Besides that one other guy, and surprisingly vivid memories, I can't find a trace of it online either.

I'll ask Carlsson if he saw it specifically listed in an index or something... He seemed to have an idea of what issue it was in.

Edited by CaptainBreakout

Bombjack is missing Vol 6 No 1 - 3, whereas the Mosquito game should be in No 2. At least he has front covers so you know what to look for.

http://www.bombjack.org/apple/magazines/compute-apple/compute-apple.htm

Before you download to have a look, Mosquito Madness is not part of COMPUTE's Best of Apple 1988.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, bikibird said:

I'm the author of Mosquito Madness.  I can't give you my copy of the magazine, but I recently posted the game here: https://github.com/bikibird/AppleIIGames.  

I'm so pleased my game made an impression on you.  

Wow!!!   Cool... And thank you so much for making this nifty game!  It made quite an impression on me as a lad, yes.  I went and typed it in again a year or so ago just to see it again... :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bikibird said:

I'm the author of Mosquito Madness.  I can't give you my copy of the magazine, but I recently posted the game here: https://github.com/bikibird/AppleIIGames.  

Is there a chance at a scan of the magazine I know there are issues missing from being preserved.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 8:11 AM, bikibird said:

I could maybe scan it in with my iPhone and tripod.  Is there an app anyone can recommend to make the process easier?

I've always used good ol Adobe Acrobat.  I start with a flatbed scanner tho.  Been awhile but I've digitized bunches magazines and books in the past.

Scan, flip, scan, flip... Then Photoshop actions to save the files in sequence.  I still remember the keystroke to rotate the graphic 180 degrees (for every other page)... alt-i-e-0.  Made the process faster.

Google should have hired me when they had the chance. 

Maybe this inspires.

• Like 1

I have quite a few of the Compute magazines, but I found quite a few of them already scanned on the internet.  So they are out there.

I would like to get a hold of the disk for the Best of Compute.

And more of a list:

Games: Tug-a-War; Hickory, Dickory, Dock; Miami Ice; Hex War; Tightrope
Utilities: Mousify, Disk Duper, Hi-Res Graphics Aid, List Enhancer, Better Branching, ESCape Upgrade, Automatic Typist, ProDOS Speedscript File Converter, ProDOS Catalog Sorter, Guardian Angel, ProDOS Protector, DCONVERT and DHGRSAVE.

Here's the second disk set, covering issues 76-80. The contents:
Games: Beehive, Prisonball, Laser Strike, Chain Reaction
Utilities: Jacket Lister, PowerKey, Turbodisk, EDIT, Apple Math Graphics, Printer Master, DOS Wildcards

The third disk set is up, covering Issues 81-85. There was so much on here I couldn't fit it into just two disks! Here's the listing:
Games: Wari, Euchre, Rememory, Laser ChessUtilities: SpeedScript 80, Quick ProDOS Catalog, Applecoder, Diskcheck, Menu Planner, Apple's Built-In Music Program, Magazine Indexer, ShapeMaker for Apple II, Solving Alphanumeric Puzzles, Hi-Res Text, Catalog Saver, Printing Special Characters, Full-Screen Editor, Font Loader for ImageWriter

Games: Climber 5, Monte Carlo, Marbles, The Hermit
Utilities: Weather Wizard, Disk Expander, Print Shop Converter, Auto-Display Hi-Res Pictures, Compress and Decompress, Chaining Programs, Audio Recorder, Applesoft Line Lister, Chrome, Double-Duty DOS, Chrome II

Games I have typed in so far:  Rat Race, Triad

Not yet tyed in

Mosquito Madness
Things in the Dark
Spiders
Paratrooper
Vulcan Mines
Cosmic Caverns
Snail Race

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.01.50 PM.png

11 hours ago, Iamgroot said:

Games I have typed in so far:  Rat Race, Triad

Not yet tyed in

Mosquito Madness
Things in the Dark
Spiders
Paratrooper
Vulcan Mines
Cosmic Caverns
Snail Race

I should collaborate with you here. I've typed in several of these.  Some of them were released on another thread. A couple (Spiders and Things in the Dark) only worked in DOS 3.3, but now also have ProDOS conversations thanks to member The Usotsuki.

Vulcan Mines I also have typed in, and I think I was just at the point of typing in the supplemental editor program where I left off.

I don't have Cosmic Caverns.  I think that's a lost game from my childhood, in fact.  Very interested in that.

If it's a type-in that was published pre-MLX (the proofreader), I developed a method of typing those machine language programs in.  We should talk if Cosmic Caverns is one of those games (I seem to remember that it is).  Those were a real bear to get right, so it would be nice to use the procedure I made for Canyon Runner and others.

Very cool stuff.  Will be great to have these type-ins available to the world again.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, bikibird said:

Where is your utilities folder, J.S.?  I see a few utilities with your name behind it.  A calculator, fractal sketcher.

Do you have a disk of those?

Edited by Iamgroot
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:58 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

I should collaborate with you here. I've typed in several of these.  Some of them were released on another thread. A couple (Spiders and Things in the Dark) only worked in DOS 3.3, but now also have ProDOS conversations thanks to member The Usotsuki.

Vulcan Mines I also have typed in, and I think I was just at the point of typing in the supplemental editor program where I left off.

I don't have Cosmic Caverns.  I think that's a lost game from my childhood, in fact.  Very interested in that.

If it's a type-in that was published pre-MLX (the proofreader), I developed a method of typing those machine language programs in.  We should talk if Cosmic Caverns is one of those games (I seem to remember that it is).  Those were a real bear to get right, so it would be nice to use the procedure I made for Canyon Runner and others.

Very cool stuff.  Will be great to have these type-ins available to the world again.

I had to re-organize all my magazines.  They were mixed in with Nibbles in order of importance to revisit and type in.

I couldn't find Cosmic Caverns on first pass, but I have quite a few pdf's and magazines, as well as disk images to go through, as well as go through my stack of Nibbles in case I missed it, but I know I saw the type-in article somewhere.

I seem to remember the Cosmic Caverns (or Space Caverns?) game was listed in one of the Compute Best of Apple books. It was probably in magazine too since those books seemed to all be reprints of past magazine type-ins.

It might have been another Compute book series. I remember it had the spring spine (either the plastic kind you seen in some college required technical books, or the fine tightly wound metal spring binding like the kind that came with early Apple II user manuals).

Anyways, yeah if you find it, I'm mucho curious. I know it was a hexadecimal listing with no proofreading.  I think I attempted to type it in 3 times.  The best I got was a line-drawn graphic the looked like it was trying to represent the trench-scene in Star Wars. ... There was a sun or star on the top right. Then it crashed with a heartbreaking beep.

Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed.  I'd love to attack this listing 30 years later with Acrobat and Excel. Hehe.