IGNORED

Xbox One console for no interest

jd_1138

I was listening to Windows Weekly last week, and Paul Thurrott (Xbox One and COD nut) was talking about this new Xbox All Access program. For $22/month for 24 months, you get a new Xbox One S console (1 TB) and Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass. Or $35/month if you want the X edition of the console.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xboxallaccess

Pretty great deal -- zero interest -- if you were planning on buying an Xbox One anyway. May as well keep your money in your interest bearing accounts and use Microsoft's money. :) Beats the heck out of paying $1,000 for a console at a rent to own place (that doesn't come with the Game Pass or Live Gold).

Also, it makes a great media player -- has a Blu-Ray player, HDMI, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video app, etc..

Too bad it's only available in a MS store. Nearest one to me is in Cleveland -- an hour away. But there's a Trader Joe's near there so might be worth the trip. Wife loves that TJ's.

Well rent to own isn't really for people with money, it's for poor people. Many just look at the monthly or weekly payment and pay no attention that they are paying several times what the thing is worth.

It's actually not to bad a deal, IF you want the game rental service, if not it's pretty bad, but still probably cheaper than an actual rent to own.

• Like 2

Well rent to own isn't really for people with money, it's for poor people. Many just look at the monthly or weekly payment and pay no attention that they are paying several times what the thing is worth.

It's actually not to bad a deal, IF you want the game rental service, if not it's pretty bad, but still probably cheaper than an actual rent to own.

Yeah if you don't want the Games Pass and the Live Gold, then it's less of a deal.

It isn't really rent to own, though. It's financed through Dell Preferred. As of the moment you're approved, you own the system. You'll be paying on it still when it goes out of warranty, and if it dies after that oh well. If it was a real rental situation, they'd have to replace hardware that died of natural causes. If anything, such a lease would be an improvement on the situation.

Edited by derFunkenstein

It isn't really rent to own, though. It's financed through Dell Preferred. As of the moment you're approved, you own the system. You'll be paying on it still when it goes out of warranty, and if it dies after that oh well. If it was a real rental situation, they'd have to replace hardware that died of natural causes. If anything, such a lease would be an improvement on the situation.

I imagine the odds of the console breaking after a year would be pretty slim unless you got toddlers stuffing Pop Tarts into the slot. :) Keep the Chocolate Fudge Pop Tarts out of the family Xbox.

The way it works is you own the console after the 2 years, and then you no longer need to make payments on it. You can then cancel the Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold if you want, but they seem like good deals.

Games Pass games:
Xbox One games

• #IDARB
  • ABZU
  • Aven Colony
  • Bomber Crew
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Casey Powell Lacrosse 16
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cluster Truck
  • Costume Quest 2
  • D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  • Dandara
  • Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
  • Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition
  • Dead Island: Definitive Edition
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Deadlight: Director's Cut
  • Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
  • Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
  • Dirt 4
  • Disneyland Adventures
  • DOOM
  • DmC Devil May Dry: Definitive Edition
  • Dovetail Games Euro Fishing
  • Electronic Super Joy
  • F1 2015
  • Fallout 4
  • Farming Simulator 15
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • Graveyard Keeper
  • Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hitman Season 1
  • Homefront: The Revolution
  • Hue
  • Human Fall Flat
  • InnerSpace
  • JumpJet Rex
  • Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure
  • Kingdom: New Lands
  • Knight Squad
  • KYUB
  • Laser League
  • Late Shift
  • Layers of Fear
  • Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered
  • Limbo
  • Lumo
  • Maldita Castilla EX: Cursed Castle
  • Manual Samuel
  • Mass Effect
  • Massive Chalice
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
  • Mega Coin Squad
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
  • Metro: Last Light Redux
  • MotoGP 17
  • NBA Playgrounds
  • Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty
  • OlliOlli
  • ONRUSH
  • Oxenfree
  • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
  • Portal Knights
  • Pumped BMX
  • Quantum Break
  • ReCore
  • Resident Evil HD
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Rime
  • Riptide GP: Renegade
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Rocket League
  • Robocraft Infinity
  • Roundabout
  • Ruiner
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Saints Row IV: Re-elected
  • Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell
  • ScreamRide
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
  • Sky Force Anniversary
  • Sky Force Reloaded
  • Snake Pass
  • State of Decay: Year One
  • State of Decay 2
  • Steredenn
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Super Lucky's Tale
  • Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings
  • Super Time Force
  • Terraria
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
  • The Bug Butcher
  • The Escapists
  • The Escapists: The Walking Dead
  • The Final Station
  • The Flame in the Flood
  • The Golf Club
  • The Swapper
  • The Technomancer
  • The Hunter: Call of the Wild
  • The War of Mine: The Little Ones
  • Tom Clancy's The Division
  • Tower of Guns
  • Unmechanical: Extended
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
  • The World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap
  • WRC 5: World Rally Championship
  • Zombie Army Trilogy
  • Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection
Xbox 360 games (backward compatible)

• A Kingdom for Keflings
  • A World of Keflings
  • Alien Hominid HD
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Bayonetta
  • Bomberman Battlefest
  • Braid
  • CastleStorm
  • Comic Jumper
  • Defense Grid
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fable II
  • Fable III
  • Fallout 3
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Grid 2
  • Hexic 2
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Iron Brigade
  • Jetpac Refuelled
  • Joe Danger 2: The Movie
  • Joe Danger: Special Edition
  • Joy Ride Turbo
  • Kameo
  • KOF98UM
  • LEGO Star Wars: TCS
  • Mass Effect
  • Mega Man 9
  • Mega Man 10
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Metal Slug XX
  • Monday Night Combat
  • Ms Splosion Man
  • MX vs. ATV Reflex
  • N+
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • RAGE
  • Sacred Citadel
  • Samurai Showdown II
  • Sonic and Knuckles
  • Sonic CD
  • Spelunky
  • Splosion Man
  • Stacking
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
  • Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
  • Tecmo Bowl Throwback
  • The Maw
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  • Viva Pinata
  • Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Original Xbox games (backward compatible)

• Fuzion Frenzy
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

I imagine the odds of the console breaking after a year would be pretty slim unless you got toddlers stuffing Pop Tarts into the slot. :) Keep the Chocolate Fudge Pop Tarts out of the family Xbox.

Well, I'm on my third Xbox One, so I'm not placing that bet. The first time it died it was juuuuust barely still under warranty. The Blu-Ray drive had died (not worth me sending it in just for that since I mostly played digital downloads) and then it quit syncing with controllers. Microsoft replaced it (or maybe repaired it?) and then about 6 months later, the hard drive was dead. It would turn on but it couldn't boot. The extended 90-day warranty I got didn't cover it.

So I junked it and bought an Xbox One S. So far so good, but I'm all kinds of knocking on wood.

Well, I'm on my third Xbox One, so I'm not placing that bet. The first time it died it was juuuuust barely still under warranty. The Blu-Ray drive had died (not worth me sending it in just for that since I mostly played digital downloads) and then it quit syncing with controllers. Microsoft replaced it (or maybe repaired it?) and then about 6 months later, the hard drive was dead. It would turn on but it couldn't boot. The extended 90-day warranty I got didn't cover it.

So I junked it and bought an Xbox One S. So far so good, but I'm all kinds of knocking on wood.

Wow that sucks. I thought MS would've gotten their hardware right after all the old red ring failures. If you use a certain credit card to buy electronics, it usually extends the warranties on the items. I never had to mess with that before. Not sure how it works. I imagine after the factory warranty is up, some 3rd party warranty from the CC co. goes into effect where they replace, repair, or credit you the purchase amount.

Multiply the number of payments by the number of months. You're going to end up paying double the cost of the system.

That's not "no interest", that's 100% interest.

ok so..

$22 x 24 = $528

or

$35 x 24 =$840

Quick look at the retail numbers.. Xbox One S =~$300, X version = ~$500

Then say forgetting any sales/discounts, xbox live =~$60/year x 2 = $120. And Gamepass = $100/year x 2 = $200. All totaled = ~$620 for S version, and ~$820 for X version. So the monthly payment idea seems roughly on par more or less for getting the stuff full price if you go for the X version. whereas S is about $100 extra

..unless I forgot something?

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

I'm being pedantic, but I think $100/yr Game Pass is technically a limited time offer. Also, the Xbone S monthly payment is cheaper, not more expensive, than buying outright.

But, as mentioned in the other thread, this deal isn't for frugal shoppers; it's for the payment plan or maybe all-in-one gift shoppers. Plus, it's only at brick and mortar Microsoft stores.

This would probably be a cool gift from someone that's not that clued in. Get a kid the box and access to loads of content easily.

Or even for me, I don't follow the xbox releases that closely so it would be rather convenient if my kids weren't already so game rich through my hobby.

Wow, what happened to your consoles? MS did "get their hardware right" for the Xbox One. I haven't heard of many issues.

I still have my launch Xbone and launch X. And I keep them in an entertainment center with a back, so they aren't that well ventilated. Of course, I don't play more than a few hours a week though.

The blu ray drive should only get used when installing a game or booting one up.

Wow, what happened to your consoles? MS did "get their hardware right" for the Xbox One. I haven't heard of many issues.

I still have my launch Xbone and launch X. And I keep them in an entertainment center with a back, so they aren't that well ventilated. Of course, I don't play more than a few hours a week though.

The blu ray drive should only get used when installing a game or booting one up.

No idea. For a long time it was the only Blu-Ray player in our house (since the Xbox 360 can't play them), so it got more use than just spinning up/installing games. It still spun up fine but it said it couldn't recognize the disc. My guess is the laser. We got a PS4 at some point, though, and it continues to play Blu Rays fine. The weird controller sync thing I don't know what happened. Same with the hard drive. It sat on a shelf in my entertainment center. Totally open sides and back so ventilation isn't an issue. The One S is two years old at this point and it's fine. I got it at the time when the S was first released. So that's nice. It would have been nicer if Microsoft had let you just put your own internal hard drive in it, like Sony does, because the phat unit I had was fine other than not reading the hard drive.