IGNORED

PC Build for Emulation

MotoRacer

Don't forget X-Men 6 Player & Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III, it's also nice having wide screen or dual display for the Playchoice-10 & Punchout games with multi monitors side by side.

Man, I would love to have a ultrawide curved screen like that to replace my dual screen setup. I figure I can run 4:3 emulators and older 16:9 games in borderless windows while having modern games take up the whole screen (that's how it actually works right?).

I really can't wait to try to get some arcade games set up. Xmen would be amazing, good idea.

Essentially. Some modern games, particularly games with fixed views (like fighting games) won't display any further past 16:9. However, most modern games these days have ultrawide and super ultrawide support. Some games feel largely unnecessary, say like an MMO. But driving games (Rocket League, Project Cars, etc) feel so much better as you can see where you want to turn. The same goes with "cockpit" games like Elite Dangerous, where all your panels are visible instead of needing to turn your head left or right while taking your eye off combat. I for one really like games like this, so this is a huge plus. FPS, so far as I've seen with my limited library, are also a huge help. Overwatch is really nice, though it only supports 21:9. Doom is fantastic with 32:9 support. And while I don't play them, I've heard you have a HUGE advantage with games like Fortnight and PUBG.

Make sure you know the difference. Ultrawide is 21:9 and Super Ultrawide is 32:9. 32:9 at 49" like mine is going to be like two 27" monitors side by side. Ultrawide is like a monitor and fraction taped together.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

Could the first retro game on my new computer be honestly anything other than my dear F-Zero? Nope.

Though I do need a good snes usb pad. This xb1 controller is killing me with the bumpers as the trigger inputs....

Edit the last picture and "spray paint" your gmail acct. ;)

That monitor is so bad-ass!!!! :thumbsup:

At work I do have a side y side dual 34" 16:9 1080p curved setup which is a little clunkier but still awesomesauce and ... bigger (but I hate the central double bezel)

Edit the last picture and "spray paint" your gmail acct. ;)

That monitor is so bad-ass!!!! :thumbsup:

At work I do have a side y side dual 34" 16:9 1080p curved setup which is a little clunkier but still awesomesauce and ... bigger (but I hate the central double bezel)

Thank you for looking out for me, but it's ok. People can know about that.

Yeah, I have three monitors at work (they're not very good, but I need screen realistate for my job), and it was depressing sitting down in front of them. It felt like an immediate downgrade. It's funny how quickly I've gotten used to this.

I also made an animated background for my desktop, which just steals the show on this thing. Been setting up most of my emulators. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to getting arcade game support for Retroarch. Hopefully I can figure that out.

Though I do need a good snes usb pad. This xb1 controller is killing me with the bumpers as the trigger inputs....

I just got a chance to sit and read this thread, great read.

I just finished getting my new PC setup and tweaked, a very similar build, Ryzen 2700X and 1080Ti as well. Instead of an ultrawide monitor though I have a G-Sync display which for emulation is awesome, especially for Mame.

For a great "retro emulation" controller I highly recommend the Hori Fight Commander, it has 6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons and a damn good d-pad.

• Like 2

I just got a chance to sit and read this thread, great read.

I just finished getting my new PC setup and tweaked, a very similar build, Ryzen 2700X and 1080Ti as well. Instead of an ultrawide monitor though I have a G-Sync display which for emulation is awesome, especially for Mame.

For a great "retro emulation" controller I highly recommend the Hori Fight Commander, it has 6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons and a damn good d-pad.

Thank you, I'll have to check that out.

I wonder how Skyrim or FO4 would look in this. I always play in first-person and it could be a stretchy, fisheye-fov kinda overkill...or maybe not? Definitely would love it for first-person cockpit games like GTAV or Elite Dangerous, I assume it eliminates the need to look left/right then.

I don't have an AAA rig now and don't plan on getting one soon, but maybe in a year or three a monitor like this with G-Sync will be affordable enough for me to try it out.