IGNORED

How is Raidan?

Mockduck

I have a Jaguar, but only two carts, due to the high price of collecting Jaguar games. I'm hoping someday to come across reasonably-priced Jag games in the wild...but until then, there's really only one Jaguar cart I'd be willing to shell out more than $40 for, and that's Raidan. I am a huge fan of that game from back in the arcades. How is the Jaguar port of it? Worth paying modern cart prices?

I think it's a good port. The VGC sums it up pretty nicely:

https://videogamecritic.com/jaguarmr.htm?e=62127#rev1572

Even though I can play the arcade version in MAME, I don't feel as if I'm missing anything by staying with the Jaguar version; the only change I might make would be to add a rapid-fire option. Whether it's worth the price would depend on the price and on the buyer, of course.

As a big fan of the Arcade and PS1 versions of Raiden, I can't really recommend the Jag version. It was definitely a solid port in its time, but it is far from arcade perfect. Most of the graphics have been redrawn. The game has a "clunky" feel, and there's no autofire option. It's absolutely playable and enjoyable, but it always leaves me wanting to play the original. Maybe watch some YouTube videos to see if it's your thing.

• Like 2

Of all my jaguar games, I've probably put the most hours into Raiden. I found myself coming back to it because of its simple pick up and play arcade gameplay. It's not arcade perfect and its not like its the best shoot-em-up ever, but for the Jag's library, its probably the game I've had the most fun with in the modern era. Plus its 2 player co-op so its an excuse to get your friend to play jaguar with you.

I agree with the points already been mentioned by others.

While I have different versions or Raiden, the Jaguar version has a very nice soundtrack imo and I enjoy it much.

The absence of rapid fire is not that bad I think, it's important not to tap too fast, but a little slower at a constant rate as this gives the fastest stream of bullets.

• Like 1

The absence of rapid fire is not that bad I think, it's important not to tap too fast, but a little slower at a constant rate as this gives the fastest stream of bullets.

Agreed. I hear this complaint frequently with the Jaguar version, but the fact is the game only lets you fire so fast. There's no reason to mash because half of your inputs won't actually be doing anything. Just tap at a moderate rate and your hands will never wear out.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Great, thanks for the input. Sounds like I might have to pick it up if I can ever find one on eBay or something that's not too much over $50. I am also on the hunt for Raidan PS1, but the only time I've found that in the wild they were asking a lot for it.

PS1 version isn't cheap these days (relatively speaking), but you do get Raiden II on it as well. It's by far the best version to play from back then if you want the arcade experience. The Jaguar version is not that (for a variety of reasons), but it's still fun and has its own unique feel.

Edited by Austin

I haven't played it for PS1, but there are two reason's i'd recommend it over the TG-16 version, which I also have.

-2 Player co-op

-You start where you die not at the beginning of the level.

It's a great game IMO! By the way "reasonable priced jaguar game" is an oxymoron. Keep an eye on the SD Cart thread if you are looking to access the whole library on the cheap in the years ahead.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed. I hear this complaint frequently with the Jaguar version, but the fact is the game only lets you fire so fast. There's no reason to mash because half of your inputs won't actually be doing anything. Just tap at a moderate rate and your hands will never wear out.

It's not really the rate of fire for me, as it is just 25 years of blue-collar wear and tear in a job where I use my hands to grip heavy objects. My right thumb (the firing thumb) isn't really in shape anymore for that kind of abuse. It's not about being lazy, and it certainly isn't about cheating. Maybe some day people here will experience more what I'm talking about.

Zero 5, now that game is even worse, that has an extremely high rate of fire, and it's an awesome, awesome game, but I just can't play that anymore, at least until I can get a rapid fire pad somehow. Now, Tempest 2000 or Defender 2000? I can play those for hours, just hold the button down, easy. That up-n-down motion with Raiden I get thumb fatigue quick, I have to play the PS1 game nowadays, since it has a rapid fire option, plus readily available joystick setups.

On topic, Raiden is a must have game for the Jaguar. Great soundtrack.

I believe you have a Carpal Tunnel as symptoms sound terribly familiar.

I also can't play any game that requires rapid firing, on any platform, so I can certainly sympathize. If I still do, I regret it for about a week...

If you think surgery will help, it's only 70% chance. Mine certainly didn't help...

Good game on the Jaguar, though the chunky side bar kind of bugged. Would rather play the PS1 or TG-16 version if I'm in the mood for some Raiden.

Interesting, I've always preferred the jag version over the TG-16. I think the graphics are smoother and the jag lets you continue when you die.

• Like 1