Best Mascot game of 6th gen?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Best Mascot game of 6th Gen?

• Halo: Combat Evolved
    • Super Mario Sunshine
    • Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy
    • Sonic Adventure

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Of the major consoles released during the "6th gen", which would include: XBox, PS2, Gacmeube, and DC, which console mascot had the best game? This isn't about whether you like the system itself more than the other, just which mascot game was the best to play in your honest opinion. Poll Included

Here are our contenders:

1. Sonic Adventure

220px-Sonic_Adventure.PNG

2. Halo: Combat Evolved

s-l300.jpg

3. Super Mario Sunshine

220px-Super_mario_sunshine.jpg

4: Jak and Daxter: PL

51C4JKR4PHL._SY445_.jpg

For me it's a tough one between Jak and Halo, but Halo is a lot more fun for me. It's a great fast-paced game that had some superb graphics and atmosphere for the time. Jak shared some of these traits as well, but it was a little too slow for me. Not only that, Jak had some stages that dragged on a bit too long, and the game is based on a tired concept. Sure Jaks is probably the best traditional 3D platformer of all, and the only "collectathon" to have much jumping in the first place, but we've played this game before multiple-times.

Halo. Sega died on sonic, super Mario sunshine wasn't the best, even among Mario games, and was Jack and Dexter really a mascot game? It's got that style I guess.

Halo sold systems. Most people that got Xbox got it for that. Turned out to be a great console as well. I know I spent thousands of hours on that, kind of like smb in the 80's yea it's common now, but it was amazing back then.

• Like 1

Mario gets a bit too dumped on so it gets a pity vote, but really Sonic. Was the only excellent 3D Sonic game and was amazing in its day and on re-release DX style on the Cube. Screw Halo, seriously, and also is it all that mascot when it was also released on PC as was the sequel? Sure it was the one line of life support for the hardware really for like a year, but it's not like some mind blowing stand out of a FPS. It got a fair bit of its rep as it was the game to have a reason to own the hardware it was on.

I don't even think of Master Chief as mascot material.

He's about as anti-"mascot" as it gets. Even Cortana. I see the OP is trying hard to find one per system but it just made me cringe a bit, should have gone with "Which system selling game...". Sony & MS simply did not have any mascots.

Sunshine was a classic, Jak quite awesome, but Halo was undeniably the most innovative (and fun for a FPS fan like me) game in a long time. If you've played it on Legendary that is, since that mode cranked the AI up to 11 and transformed the whole game into an incredible SP survival sandbox. It was ahead of its time, a truly next-gen title - well worthy the coveted 10/10 from teh Edge. In fact I don't think it has been matched to this day in the SP FPS realm (STALKER coming the closest) since the devs found out it's so much easier and profitable to substitute designing complex AI-centered gameplay with multiplayer..

• Like 1

If GameCube had a "mascot," which it doesn't, it would not be Mario, because Sunshine kinda stunk out loud. It would be Link, as in Legend of Zelda guy. Link was in these GameCube games:

Ocarina of Time Master Quest

Zelda Collector's Edition

The Wind Waker

Four Swords Adventures

Twilight Princess

Soul Calibur II

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Also, per this:

With Collector's Edition and the Game Boy Player, every game in The Legend of Zelda series up to Twilight Princess can be played on the GameCube. The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link can be played on the GameCube through Collector's Edition and through the Game Boy Player with the Classic NES versions of the games. A Link to the Past can be played through the Game Boy Player with the Game Boy Advance port of the game. Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX can be played through the Game Boy Player as well (as the Game Boy Advance is compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles). Ocarina of Time can be played through Master Quest and Collector's Edition. Majora's Mask can be played through the Collector's Edition as well, although sound irregularities and freezing can occur in this version. Four Swords can be played through the Game Boy Player, as can Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and The Minish Cap. The Game & Watch title Zelda can also be played as part of Game & Watch Gallery 4.

But it doesn't matter, because Link is not a f&cking "mascot."

i disagree on the PS2 one- i think Ratchet/Clank or Kratos from God of War were more well-known.

Jak sold 6 million copies.

He's about as anti-"mascot" as it gets. Even Cortana. I see the OP is trying hard to find one per system but it just made me cringe a bit, should have gone with "Which system selling game...". Sony & MS simply did not have any mascots.

Sunshine was a classic, Jak quite awesome, but Halo was undeniably the most innovative (and fun for a FPS fan like me) game in a long time. If you've played it on Legendary that is, since that mode cranked the AI up to 11 and transformed the whole game into an incredible SP survival sandbox. It was ahead of its time, a truly next-gen title - well worthy the coveted 10/10 from teh Edge. In fact I don't think it has been matched to this day in the SP FPS realm (STALKER coming the closest) since the devs found out it's so much easier and profitable to substitute designing complex AI-centered gameplay with multiplayer..

Master Chief was the mascot of Xbox and still is why are you guys changing the definition of mascot? Mascot doesn't always mean furry animal at the soccer game.

No Ratchet and Clank? To me that's the Playstation's mascot. This poll is invalid.

Also a great point.

Jak was advertised as a mascot for part of the PS2's life, Ratchet never was, also Jak 1 sold over 4-5 million copies. R&C didn't take off until the third game in: Up your arsenal.

If GameCube had a "mascot," which it doesn't, it would not be Mario, because Sunshine kinda stunk out loud. It would be Link, as in Legend of Zelda guy. Link was in these GameCube games:

Ocarina of Time Master Quest

Zelda Collector's Edition

The Wind Waker

Four Swords Adventures

Twilight Princess

Soul Calibur II

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Also, per this:

But it doesn't matter, because Link is not a f&cking "mascot."

Gamecubes Mascot is Nintendos mascot, so yeah Mario is the mascot. As a Mascot game Sunshine wasn't reallty that good to many people. So in this case you would choose one of the other three options.

Jak sold 6 million copies.

Master Chief was the mascot of Xbox and still is why are you guys changing the definition of mascot? Mascot doesn't always mean furry animal at the soccer game.

Jak was advertised as a mascot for part of the PS2's life, Ratchet never was, also Jak 1 sold over 4-5 million copies. R&C didn't take off until the third game in: Up your arsenal.

lol- 'THIS IS WHY YOUR OPINION IS INVALID'

dude, i'm done with giving you my opinion on your posts. enjoy your billion other 'versus' or 'what if' threads where you don't want to hear anyone's differing opinion.

• Like 1

Okay, so another "here's my opinion what do you think I don't really care what you think shut up" post.

Yep. One guy making tons of threads and then telling everyone to eat shit if they disagree in each one really poisons the Classic Gaming forum.

BTW sales after the fact doesn't make a game a mascot or not. It's how it was marketed at the time. R&C was as much the marketing face of the PS2 as Jak and Daxter.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

lol- 'THIS IS WHY YOUR OPINION IS INVALID'

dude, i'm done with giving you my opinion on your posts. enjoy your billion other 'versus' or 'what if' threads where you don't want to hear anyone's differing opinion.

Uh these are FACTUAL Mascots for these companies. You don't have an "opinion: here. You are literally degrading before my eyes. You can't have an "opinion" that Sonic isn't the mascot of Sega just like you can't have an "Opinion" ratchet was a mascot for a PS2, when Sony directly temporarily advertised Jak as a mascot for around two years. Morons.

Yep. One guy making tons of threads and then telling everyone to eat shit if they disagree in each one really poisons the Classic Gaming forum.

BTW sales after the fact doesn't make a game a mascot or not. It's how it was marketed at the time. R&C was as much the marketing face of the PS2 as Jak and Daxter.

I see you disagree Mario is the mascot from Nintendo. Even those that's a fact. Weird. I also never said Sales was the reason Jak was the mascot, but hey reading comprehension seems to be a forum wide problem here.

Okay, so another "here's my opinion what do you think I don't really care what you think shut up" post.

Yes, because Halo isn't the mascot of Microsoft and Mario isn't th- are you on drugs? is that the problem here? you guys have picked some of the dumbest fights in these threads but this one has got to be the one where you show how low the average IQ among you is. This is a thread about the best "MASCOT game" among the PS2/XB/DC/GC and it's so simple i though anyone could understand the thread title, even a 1st grader.

instead we got idiots who don't know what a mascot is, and idiots saying that mascots are an "opinion" when the damn company themselves have made that "opinion" the official mascot. You wonder why the general levels of engagement are down on sites like these, it's like how Neogaf used to be, a bunch of morons that attack new guys for no reason, will constantly misunderstand things and instead of acknowledging that they just come together to dogpile on a user to protect their egos, usually using methods that the average 6 year old in the YouTube comment section uses. You all are too damn afraid to to have a discussion so you need your boys to screw up the discussion so everyone forgets what the topic is about.

You'd think the average "atari gamer" on here was a 5 year old kid. If you're that stupid to say that a mascot is an "opinion" then clearly you need to get off your computer and reflect because you have bigger problems. Now of course the dogs will pile on this post in kind proving my point but hey, whatever.

I see you disagree Mario is the mascot from Nintendo. Even those that's a fact. Weird. I also never said Sales was the reason Jak was the mascot, but hey reading comprehension seems to be a forum wide problem here.

Since you quoted me, that must be directed at me, and I'll ask you to cite where I said that Mario wasn't Nintendo's mascot. I'll wait.

Since you quoted me, that must be directed at me, and I'll ask you to cite where I said that Mario wasn't Nintendo's mascot. I'll wait.

Your first sentence clearly states that I was attacking people for disagreeing with the facts in this thread. being those game franchises in the poll are(were) those companies mascots.

Yes, because Halo isn't the mascot of Microsoft and Mario isn't th- are you on drugs?

Reading your posts makes me wish I had some.

Look, you came to AtariAge (a community of gamers who have been involved in the hobby for decades) trying to prove how clever and knowledgeable about video game history you are, and when people don't play along with your ego trip, you get increasingly abusive. We've tried to be magnanimous but our patience with you is starting to wear thin... in case you haven't noticed. Personally, my opinion of you has gone from "he's new here, he'll adjust" to "screw this guy, the horse he rode in on, and whoever sold him the horse." Either adjust your attitude or quit while you're neck deep in quicksand.

• Like 2

Uh these are FACTUAL Mascots for these companies. You don't have an "opinion: here. You are literally degrading before my eyes. You can't have an "opinion" that Sonic isn't the mascot of Sega just like you can't have an "Opinion" ratchet was a mascot for a PS2, when Sony directly temporarily advertised Jak as a mascot for around two years. Morons.

There's no FACTUAL mascots for Sony and MS. Read about it for a bit and it's clear that it's just a mish-mash: eg Blinx was the FACTUAL mascot for MS but since everybody pissed on this, Master Chief is an UNFACTUAL mascot (yes! I was wrong! Master Chief apparently is a "mascot". And I'm glad that I never hanged out with folk who'd use such terminology, so pardon my ignorance).

Seeing as the above is a FACT, it does not matter if Sony actually avertised Jak as the mascot since if you look it up, nobody can agree on who the Sony mascot is, and nobody seems to care much. In one poll I saw, Sly Cooper got more votes than Jak. Make out of it what you wish.

That's all irrelevant anyway since the problem with this (and other) threads is not as much related to facts but the attitude you apply to the discusssion about them. I'm also a new guy, fairly argumentative one to boot and had my share of spats with the locals, but these are related mostly to opinions, not facts, since thye're a pretty knowledgeable bunch. And I would definitely not call them "idiots", "morons" or "5 year olds". That's what someone coming from NeoGAF would do though.