IGNORED

THE DIG DUG THREAD!

retrorussell

It was set 2 i think.  At first i thought i was losing my mind but i am pretty sure the placement of enemies/colors/etc. was wrong.  I wouldn't think I'd just forget my patterns like that.  Mame does tend to screw things up from one version to the next.  I have a youtube video of gameplay; sometime I'll compare with what I've played recently.  But I'm pretty sure there were differences.

1 hour ago, retrorussell said:

It was set 2 i think.  At first i thought i was losing my mind but i am pretty sure the placement of enemies/colors/etc. was wrong.  I wouldn't think I'd just forget my patterns like that.  Mame does tend to screw things up from one version to the next.  I have a youtube video of gameplay; sometime I'll compare with what I've played recently.  But I'm pretty sure there were differences.

There are 4 known versions:

=====================

Namco - 1,2

Atari - 1,2

Thats it. They are all exactly the same levels, monsters and placements.

1-11 are unique. 12-15 repeat, either forever, or until the killscreen at 256.

The only difference is the speedup, slow boards, and killscreens.

There is no other differences.

========================

I mentioned all the information here:

later

Edited by negative1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, negative1 said:

May 2020 is the expected date for the 1/4 scale numbskull mini cabinet, $169, looks great:

http://www.numskull.com/dig-dug-quarter-scale-arcade-cabinet/

Dig-Dug-Arcade-Machine-GS-1_grande.jpg

• Official Bandai Namco Entertainment product – 14 scale playable replica of the original 1980s Dig Dug arcade cabinet
  • Fully playable cabinet – plays the original arcade ROM on a bespoke emulator
  • Quarter Arcades #6: sixth in the series – collect them all to build your own miniature arcade
  • Realistic replica – everything from the artwork, shape, wooden shell, buttons, and more are precise replicas
  • High quality – made for durability, playability, and portability
  • Play your way – internal dip switch settings let you play however you want, whenever you want
  • Portable and displayable – rechargeable internal battery lets you take it on the go, or display at home in attract mode

later

Release date for this is now August 2020.

later

Been playing this game non stop for the past few days. I think it may be my first time ever honestly.. as I cant recall playing it before. It has a surprising amount of strategy if you are trying to bust high scores. Its a ton of fun trying to set guys up under rocks... also deceivingly difficult. I think Ill be enjoying this one for a while.

• Like 2

Some more fun from Namco archives vol 2:

Played to level 16 using saves in Dig Dug 2:

Also, someone figured out how to get the special flag. You have to destroy 3 sections to get the fruit to

appear. Then destroy the section with the fruit on 5 different levels. Then the special flag shows up:

later

• Like 1

Damn.. finally had time to look back at the screens and found out there were no differences between the roms-- I had just forgotten some of my old patterns.  Haven't had much time to play lately with prepping the house for renters.  The first one just moved in so I checked it out just now.. my mind must be going funny.

8 hours ago, retrorussell said:

Damn.. finally had time to look back at the screens and found out there were no differences between the roms-- I had just forgotten some of my old patterns.  Haven't had much time to play lately with prepping the house for renters.  The first one just moved in so I checked it out just now.. my mind must be going funny.

If it were a bootleg, like the dzigzag one [Zig Zag], then the boards are out of order.

But the patterns are the same.

later

Found this list of differences in versions of Dig Dug:

- differences between versions of digdug:
  - the background graphics are slightly different in the Atari versions; the earth is
    less regular.
  - "digduga1" is identical to "digdugb", apart from the gfx and copyright notices
    changed from "NAMCO LTD." to "ATARI INC.".
  - "digdug" fixes two bugs that were present in "digdugb":  First, as monster speed
    increased in later rounds it could eventually roll over to 0, causing the monsters
    to stop moving altogether.  Second, "double-killing" a monster by bursting it and
    immediately dropping a rock on the corpse could result in the round not ending
    even after all monsters were killed.
    This set also has the code to save high scores to EEPROM rewritten, though the
    reason for the changes is unclear.
  - "digdugat" is almost identical to "digdug" (apart from the Atari gfx/copyright
    changes), but there are three added instructions in the CPU0 program that change
    the code alignment.  The change eliminates the "kill screen" at round 256 by
    making the round number roll over to 156, and hides the rollover from the player
    by only ever displaying the lower two digits of the round number.  Interestingly,
    "digdug" actually contains all the code to implement the rollover (at $0018-$0026)
    but just doesn't call it, implying that Namco deliberately chose to keep the kill
    screen in this version.
  - "digsid" is intermediate between "digdugb" and "digdug"; it has the changed EEPROM
    handling, but not the gameplay bug fixes.  It has some unique changes as well:
    the initial high scores are 25000 instead of 10000, and the game begins on the
    screen that is round 4 in the other sets, skipping the first three screens.
    The latter change seems likely to have been done by Namco themselves and not by
    Sidam, as it involves insertion of code right in the middle of the CPU0 program
    and realignment of all the code after the insertion.
  - "dzigzag" and "digdugb" are identical, apart from the hacked gfx and the copyright
    notices changed from "NAMCO LTD." to "1 9 8 2".  It's a bootleg of "digdugb", and
    not of "digduga1", because the hidden "NAMCO" string at offset 0x1eea of CPU2 is
    still present, while it is replaced by "ATARI" in digduga1.
    The only interesting thing about the bootleg is the 4th Z80, used to simulate
    the custom 5xXX chips of the original.

later

I kind of wondered why I used to be able to do the "drop rock onto enemy as you explode it" trick (that clears the enemies but the screen won't end unless you drop another rock) before and can't seem to get it to work now; I must have used digdugb before.

1 hour ago, retrorussell said:

I kind of wondered why I used to be able to do the "drop rock onto enemy as you explode it" trick (that clears the enemies but the screen won't end unless you drop another rock) before and can't seem to get it to work now; I must have used digdugb before.

Ever since the game came out in the arcades, and I saw this trick in joystick magazine. over 30+ years ago, I've never

been able to do this trick, and I've never seen anyone else do it either.

Also, i've never seen a video of it too. So i'm beginning to doubt if it was really possible.

Still haven't seen any proof or evidence. A video would be nice.

later

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, negative1 said:

Ever since the game came out in the arcades, and I saw this trick in joystick magazine. over 30+ years ago, I've never

been able to do this trick, and I've never seen anyone else do it either.

Also, i've never seen a video of it too. So i'm beginning to doubt if it was really possible.

Still haven't seen any proof or evidence. A video would be nice.

later

Here is the killing the enemy twice trick, done by Seno in MAME.

I used Dosbox to playback, and recorded it.

later

• Like 1

If that's done with enemies remaining they all disappear.  You must drop one more rock to finish the level.  I did not know that if that was the 2nd rock that you would have to claim the prize in order to end the round.  It's been a long time since I did the trick in MAME but it was only once, probably decades ago.

I found it interesting how they expanded on his story through the Mr. Driller series; how he got married to (and divorced) Toby "Kissy" Masuyo of the "Baraduke" games and had 3 sons: Ataru Hori, Susume Hori ("Mr. Driller" himself) and Taiyo Tobi.  Dig Dug (Taizo Hori) has a strained relationship with his son Ataru for reasons apparently not under his control.  Taizo seems happy-go-lucky, likes to travel and is jovial but kind of air-headed at times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...