IGNORED

personal history - CV purchases 1983-84

Zwackery

Going through some old stuff, I came across this old log book where - for a time during the 1980s - I was documenting what I was purchasing. Not sure why, maybe to keep track of stuff, but it was mostly for my D&D. Near the back of the book, however, I found this page where I had written down some of my Colecovision purchases. I got my CV back in November 1983 (the store was offering a bonus free copy of Mouse Trap with every console purchased, and my parents love bargains), and I know I got more games post-crash (markdowns were big motivators for my mom). Apparently I backfilled the dates on the last few purchases. Anyhow, enjoy this little snapshot of time.

post-5874-0-35724100-1536609521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is cool! I have one small gripe with the list...Donkey Kong should be above Mouse Trap on that list as it was a pack in game for the system. ;-) But nice list of games there, all quality ColecoVision titles. :-)

Yes, DK was the pack-in, but the store was offering the regular console setup plus a free bonus copy of Mouse Trap. Guess I put MT first as it was actually in its own box.

Edited by Zwackery

Yes, DK was the pack-in, but the store was offering the regular console setup plus a free bonus copy of Mouse Trap. Guess I put MT first as it was actually in its own box.

Yeah, but in order to play Mouse Trap, you had to open up the ColecoVision box first which means Donkey Kong would have been the first cartridge you held in your hands! :grin:

Edited by NIAD

Yeah, but in order to play Mouse Trap, you had to open up the ColecoVision box first which means Donkey Kong would have been the first cartridge you held in your hands! :grin:

I think I actually opened up Mouse Trap first because the CV box was so big and I was sitting around the in the mall (Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, VA) with my dad and brother while my mom was shopping so at least being able to open Mouse Trap took the edge off. Interestingly, my parents bought the CV for me in November (11-25-83 was the day after Thanksgiving, so Black Friday) as an Xmas present, so I got it home, played it for an evening, and then it went back in the box until December 25th. I was a reasonably good kid.

• Like 1

Holy smokes. I can actually imagine myself as you, sitting there in the mall, opening the Mousetrap box and sliding the cartridge out to look at it. Very exciting!

I still recall how stressed out I was when I was purchasing Front Line (it was soooo expensive). A bit like purchasing a Neo Geo game in the 90s. I thought to myself, "This game better be worth the paper route money."

And it was.