IGNORED

Would the Vectrex have changed gaming forever if it had a raster display?

x=usr(1536)

Think about it. If the Vectrex had had a raster display and been named the Rastrax, GCE would have sold several hundreds of millions of units and bought up Atari. It would have replaced the 5200, 7800, XEGS, Panther, and Jaguar across several generations. Nintendo would only have been able to license and distribute it in Micronesia, and the Famicom would never have come to fruition.

Sega would have licensed its smash arcade game Subroc 3D as a Rastrax exclusive for use with the 3D Imager, and would have stayed a third-party publisher, never venturing into the console hardware market. Berzerk and Scramble would have been ported with pixel-perfect precision to the platform, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture would have achieved sales success that made the entire Pac-Man merchandising empire of the time look like an insolvent lemonade stand.

Microsoft would have given up on the IBM PC platform, instead seeing the advantages of the 6809 CPU. They would have shifted all development focus to OS9, thus turning the Rastrax into the world standard for desktop computers. Also, Sony would have never made the PlayStation, instead developing a CD add-on for the Rastrax that would have become the real iPod a couple of decades later.

Right now I'd be typing this on the keyboard of my RastraxBook Pro, too.

• Like 13

guys

i come from a world where vectrex *did* have a raster display

we ended up with skynet and i was sent back in time to make sure they had a vector display

you are all crazy to want that

i'll admit donkey kong on rastrax was good though just not worth having rasterminators killing my family good

• Like 8

I wanted the Vectrex BECAUSE it had vector graphics. I bet in that alternate universe you describe, all the engineers at GCE would have quit and somebody like those behind the modern Coleco would have taken over.

You clearly don't know what your talking about. My imaginary scenario is right and yours is wrong. Also: your mom.

• Like 2

the universe i come from also had good atari 5200 controllers

when the rastrax drove atari out of business they snatched up all the unsold joysticks from the 5200 failing and used them to precisely pilot their hunter killer drones until the ai was perfected

they still lost the overlays and the operators would forget which button was the flamethrower though so it wasn't as bad as it sounds

• Like 1

I was going to say, "but having a vector screen was what made it what it is" but come to think of ut, outside of computers (and handhelds of course) it's the only console with the primary display built in.

Who knows? But what would the cost be for raster as opposed to vector? Vector and b/w tv are basically the same tube, it's the computer or tuner that determines raster vs vector. Color tubes are different as raster screens literally have a grid built in while vector doesnt.

Granted, odysey, nintendo, and sega all had deals with tv manufacturers to have their console built into a tv, granted not common, but they still exist.I

Then instead of meerly recapping, we'd be looking for monitors and says it reintegrating the console with newer sets lol.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I should tear the display out of my Vectrex and replace it with an LCD. Then I could make the Rastrax that never happened and prove how awesome this would have been.

Also, I will replace the controller with the Atari 5200 stick, but it will be the kind that works. I've watched every episode of Sliders, so I know what needs to be done to make that happen.

• Like 3

Don't forget:

Portable by sticking your hand into a slot above the top of the monitor

If it wasn't for the Rastrax Vectrex, there never would have been a Mac. Until Steve Jobs saw the prototype in a Belgian Tiki Bar, the 128K Mac was going to look like an understuffed duffel bag with a keyboard and mouse attached to it.

Also, the Rastrax would have had the first mass-production 3.14" floppy drive, which was going to plug into the second joystick port.

• Like 1

the universe i come from also had good atari 5200 controllers

when the rastrax drove atari out of business they snatched up all the unsold joysticks from the 5200 failing and used them to precisely pilot their hunter killer drones until the ai was perfected

they still lost the overlays and the operators would forget which button was the flamethrower though so it wasn't as bad as it sounds

Did the HK's crash or refuse to fly at all? those joysticks are terrible

I was going to say, "but having a vector screen was what made it what it is" but come to think of ut, outside of computers (and handhelds of course) it's the only console with the primary display built in.

One would think so until you have seen a Philips Videopac G7200 or its predecessor, the Philips N60. But yes, from an US perspective those are oddball systems.

• Like 1