IGNORED

YOU... and TI hardware.

Omega-TI

When it comes to YOU and TI hardware.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes YOU when it comes to TI hardware.

• I'm a HOARDER, I have multiples of everything and never sell a thing. It's mine, all mine!
    • I have more stuff than I really need, but can never bring my self to sell any of it.
    • I periodically 'clean house' to make room for new gear.
    • If I upgrade, I prefer to pass on my old equipment so others can enjoy it like I did.
  2. 2. When it comes to pricing (which BEST describes you).

• I'm a ruthless ba$tard and will screw anyone over to make a buck, even sell them broken gear.
    • I prefer eBay to see what the 'market will bear'.
    • I prefer to price my gear modestly so even the less fortunate members/users can play.
    • I've given 'special deals' to members of the TI community.
    • I've given stuff away to a good home or person.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I can let go of any hardware or software for the TI i have, since the TI is ~98% perfectly emulated via the various emulators.

But, i still like to tinker with good old cold metal from time to time.

More then likely, if i ever choose to give up y TI items, they will be given away as in-person pick up, or possibly sold for just enough to cover shipping.

...But that is not happening anytime soon.

I was the first person to select the "ebay" answer. Let me explain:

None of the answers in the 2nd question best describes me. I've never sold any of my TI gear.

However, I am an eBayer, in the sense that I buy a lot of stuff (TI & non-TI stuff) on eBay. If I were to sell that's probably the route I'd take, since it's the most familiar for me.

Edited by chue
  • Like 1

I'm like chue above. I have so much because I was a seller back in the day as well as a user and paid out good money to buy the hardware I was selling. It didn't work out due to bad family issue's, not immediate family, but family nonetheless. As I have the desire to get my stuff up and running, then if my children, now grown up, want to share in my experience, they have some opportunity to do so. They haven't been inclined though, to have this big steel box in their houses. I am fixing cards, like cars, slowly but surely, as time permits, and maybe one day I'll put something up for sell, but it will be to get the best price, as I did invest a lot of my money back in the day to get it to begin with, as well as time today to 'fix' it. But my Geneves will probably stay with me till I die, as well as Fabrice's TI(ny) when I eventually get one. :-D

• Like 1

i love my retro computing and gaming hobbies. i tend to impulse buy a bunch of stuff then cull out what i don't end up using. :)

i've always said I'm not in it to make money, so if it goes to a good home i'll eat the shipping even if I think someone could use it. I just want folks to have the same fun as i do.

I also sell my 'unwanted' retro stuff on Ebay as well as it's a fairly hassle free process. But that depends on the item. If I ever came to sell my PEB then I would probably offer it here first since it's really heavy and costly to ship compared to the actual value if the item itself. Same with CRT monitors. If the postage is more than the item then Ebay is not a good choice. I have extra consoles and an extra speech synth (which is defective) but everything else I only have one of.

Of course I could always list my old commodore monitors for this much! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Commodore-64-Vic-20-1702-Color-Video-Monitor-Tested-Works-Rare-C64/332731379421?hash=item4d7855eedd:g:Ju8AAOSwGphbV4OV

Edited by Arnuphis

Myself, I'm preparing to unload my TI 99/4A and its peripherals and software. I was planning to have a true iron setup available for the purposes of testing software that I write. However, after experiencing the barriers that TI put in the way of anyone vaguely serious about 3rd party software development and publishing, I've decided that it's not worth the space that it takes up in my home office.

Myself, I'm preparing to unload my TI 99/4A and its peripherals and software. I was planning to have a true iron setup available for the purposes of testing software that I write. However, after experiencing the barriers that TI put in the way of anyone vaguely serious about 3rd party software development and publishing, I've decided that it's not worth the space that it takes up in my home office.

Basically a console with 32k and tipi sidecars takes up a ton less space.. even better if you have a f18a and a usb keyboard interface. You can just stick the TI on a shelf and hook it to your KVM..

Basically a console with 32k and tipi sidecars takes up a ton less space.. even better if you have a f18a and a usb keyboard interface. You can just stick the TI on a shelf and hook it to your KVM..

I've given a few moments of depressing thought here and there to 'my final TI system'. Eventually I'll be old and decrepit, low on funds, and in a much smaller place to waste away my remaining years. I may indeed have my TI on a shelf, but in the entertainment center and it WILL have a P-Box! I figure my final system will end up using a big screen TV and be integrated into my entertainment system due to probable space requirements.

I don't know what of the currently available hardware will still be available ten years from now, or what may replace some of the existing stuff, but I can see I'll need at least a couple more changes to my system before then.

Hmm ... I am not a hoarder, I only have the minimum stuff that is needed to run my Geneve, I'm not planning to get more gear, and if so (maybe tipi), no cleanup will be required, and I never actually plan to upgrade in a way to be able to pass on stuff to others.

I think this option set does not fully cover all situations. :)

• Like 4