IGNORED

The 2018 Atari Awards!

ZeroPage Homebrew

Last few hours to get those ROM's entered!!!!

Let me know if you post a game elsewhere online (outside of AA forums) to be entered if your homebrew/hack Atari ROM hasn't already been posted this year.

Happy New Year!!! and Good Luck to all homebrew programmers out there!

Brian & James

post-2652-0-01410700-1546296243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dare Devil is missing from the list but I only uploaded the first public build on the 30th (although James had a sneak peak earlier!)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286538-wip-dare-devil/

An earlier version of Tyre Trax was also demo'd at the AA booth at PGRE

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 3

Dare Devil is missing from the list but I only uploaded the first public build on the 30th (although James had a sneak peak earlier!)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286538-wip-dare-devil/

An earlier version of Tyre Trax was also demo'd at the AA booth at PGRE

Sorry, I hadn't check that bB forum in a day or two...... but its added now!

Seems I've overlooked a lot of the games, both completed and work in progress. Would love for a collection of these be put together for folks to play, loving my new harmony cart and checking out new projects.

LOL it's funny you said that (John Champeau asked the same thing today) as I did start compiling the latest ROMs of each yesterday. So I'll have a group download very soon!

• Like 3

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2018 is finished and the time has come to check over our list of games released in 2018 in preparation for the 2018 Atari Awards!

The 2018 Atari Awards will be broadcast LIVE on February 23, 2019 at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch Channel!

Award Categories:

• Best Homebrew

• Best bB Homebrew

• Best WIP Homebrew

• Best Game Hack

• Best Demo

• Best Programming

• Best Graphics

• Best Music & Sound

• Best Packaging

• Technical Achievement Award

After we announce the nominated games in each of the categories the community voting will take place between January 23, 2019 and February 18, 2019 so get ready to make your voice heard!

• Like 2

I'm curious to hear how the community voting will work. Is it too much to hope that it could be limited to people active in these forums and/or the Facebook group? If not, I'm afraid it could just become a case of people getting their friends who knew nothing about the homebrew scene to vote for their game.

• Like 1

We are really hoping as well that the AtariAge forums will be able to handle the community voting requirements needed. We will update as we sort that out! :-)

I'm curious to hear how the community voting will work. Is it too much to hope that it could be limited to people active in these forums and/or the Facebook group? If not, I'm afraid it could just become a case of people getting their friends who knew nothing about the homebrew scene to vote for their game.

Looking forward to testing the games and the resulting discussions. :)

The categories look fine to me, except that I had hoped that ARM based games would have their own category. I am pretty sure they will dominate most other categories they qualify for too. So having a category for classic assembly coding would have left room for the roots of Atari original and homebrews, which is classic assembler coding. Also there are quite a few new coders who do their first project in assembler, which would sure get extra motivation even from being nominated.

• Like 1

Looking forward to testing the games and the resulting discussions. :)

The categories look fine to me, except that I had hoped that ARM based games would have their own category. I am pretty sure they will dominate most other categories they qualify for too. So having a category for classic assembly coding would have left room for the roots of Atari original and homebrews, which is classic assembler coding. Also there are quite a few new coders who do their first project in assembler, which would sure get extra motivation even from being nominated.

I think the categories are relatively fine as they are...because at the end of the day, shouldn't the focus be on the games themselves? Not the technology behind the games?

I ask, more or less, because I think ChaoticGrill would be an odd man out... uses DPC+ driver, but no ARM code (game logic is all in 6502 assembly). Would it be fair to stick it in with the other games that use ARM-based game logic? It would almost fit best with the Bb-based DPC+ games. Along those lines, shouldn't Bb games themselves be separated into DPC+ vs non-DPC+? And it goes on and on and on....

You have to draw the line somewhere so that you don't draw too many lines :)

• Like 3

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2018 is finished and the time has come to check over our list of games released in 2018 in preparation for the 2018 Atari Awards!

The 2018 Atari Awards will be broadcast LIVE on February 23, 2019 at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch Channel!

Award Categories:

• Best Homebrew

• Best bB Homebrew

• Best WIP Homebrew

• Best Game Hack

• Best Demo

• Best Programming

• Best Graphics

• Best Music & Sound

• Best Packaging

• Technical Achievement Award

After we announce the nominated games in each of the categories the community voting will take place between January 23, 2019 and February 18, 2019 so get ready to make your voice heard!

No "HardWork / Hasselhoff" award for best use of the Kinko's guy?

• Like 1

I'm honestly not completely happy with the categories, for similar reasons as Thomas. Maybe having a 4K category might be a positive. These wouldn't be ARM-assisted, and are unlikely to have extra cart RAM, so it would be a decent way to include a category for more vintage-style games.

• Like 1

I would have liked to have seen some more categories as well, but like Splendid Nut said, a line has to drawn somewhere or you would end up with 35 different categories! I think KarlG's point is a good one, "Vanilla" games should probably have a category as they are usually quite a bit different from "assisted" games, but then how do we define "Vanilla"? 4k? 8k? no SARA or other addon RAM? It's a rather subjective topic. Ask 10 people, you will probably get 5 different answers. :P

For the inaugural awards, I think this is ok and we should roll with it.

Some ideas for the future (please read these constructively as no slight is meant or intended):

• Vanilla category of some description (good luck who ever takes on the task of defining "Vanilla", maybe a poll ? )
  • Solo vs Team - a game made by 4 people is still homebrew, but for me that's a bit different to a solo effort. I'm thinking like how music awards separate solo and bands

I would also like to add that I really appreciate the folks organising this (Arenafoot and Cimmerian) and putting their time and effort in to making it happen, win lose or draw, it's going to be a lot of fun and that's the spirit in which I think it should be taken :thumbsup: :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I hope my comments didn't come across as too negative. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but I'm also quite excited that these awards are being done. I understand that it involves a lot of work for the organizers, too! It should be a lot of fun to try out the nominees from each category. :)

• Like 1

You have to draw the line somewhere so that you don't draw too many lines :)

That's the problem. But we have categories for packaging, graphics and music. So why not have at least two categories for non bB homebrews?

I would draw the lines between what was possible/affordable in the 80ties and what not.

• Like 4

I'm really looking forward to testing & judging the games myself for each of the categories!

I do agree with Thomas that there should be a special category for games that use an additional ARM co-processor. While I really appreciate these games, I think comparison to classic assembly-only games is a bit unfair.

Anyway, these awards are going to be a lot of fun for everyone in the '2600 community!

Many thanks to James, Brian and Albert for setting this up!!!

• Like 2

That's the problem. But we have categories for packaging, graphics and music. So why not have at least two categories for non bB homebrews?

I would draw the lines between what was possible/affordable in the 80ties and what not.

Please keep in mind this is the first year and first time for us doing this ....... we will learn from it and make the necessary changes for next year. But these categories are set as the trophies have been ordered for this list of categories.

• Like 2

Interesting, thanks TJ! We will watching the comments and will be adding/adjusting our categories next year based on feedback from this year's awards show.

We added a separate category for bB games under the assumption that non bB homebrew (assembly + arm) might dominate all the other categories such as graphics and music. I never thought that people would think that bB games would overwhelm the non-bB games. It will be interesting to see how public voting goes this year. :-)

We are a little limited in the number of categories as the costs are coming out my pocket for the physical trophies and equipment setup to do the live broadcast of the award show. Hopefully people will enjoy it and we can expand the categories next year to celebrate more of the diversity of Atari 2600 homebrew out there! :-) We'll be keeping notes on the suggesting as they come in.

Not at all! I love the feedback, it means people care about how the homebrew community and the hard work being put into the games are being represented on the Awards Show. Thanks Karl G! :-) We'll be taking notes on all the suggestions and adjust for next year's event.

Yeah, I hope my comments didn't come across as too negative. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but I'm also quite excited that these awards are being done. I understand that it involves a lot of work for the organizers, too! It should be a lot of fun to try out the nominees from each category. icon_smile.gif

I think your reasoning fell along the same lines as ours in terms of what we tried to focus on when selecting the categories this year, the games.

There are definitely a lot of ways to divide and categorize games related to the programming tools (Assembly vs bB) and hardware (Extra ROM, extra RAM, extra processors) side of things and we'll look to incorporate those into next year's event based on the feedback we get this year. I know in the end it's difficult to make everybody happy as you start getting into multiplexing the categories out into dozens of different qualifiers (Best assembly, non-arm, 4k ROM, paddle only, single player game Award!) but we'll do our best to celebrate the amazing work that everybody in this community puts into the games we all enjoy! :-)

I think the categories are relatively fine as they are...because at the end of the day, shouldn't the focus be on the games themselves? Not the technology behind the games?

I ask, more or less, because I think ChaoticGrill would be an odd man out... uses DPC+ driver, but no ARM code (game logic is all in 6502 assembly). Would it be fair to stick it in with the other games that use ARM-based game logic? It would almost fit best with the Bb-based DPC+ games. Along those lines, shouldn't Bb games themselves be separated into DPC+ vs non-DPC+? And it goes on and on and on....

You have to draw the line somewhere so that you don't draw too many lines icon_smile.gif