IGNORED

Always late to the party: Terminal Emulation

DrWoo

I recently received a Retro WiFi SI to serial adaptor and I'm looking for some help on locating some good terminal emulation software. I was able to find TAZ, however in ansi mode it gives me a headache with all the flicker. I've read that STalker and ANSITerm are both good to, however I can not find a version of either that isn't a demo ware. Happy to pay for a version of either, but it looks like they are abandonware.

Also I'm looking for some Atari Telnet BBS recommendations.

Best Regards

Welcome to the community! Maybe you can jump right in and help tschak with PlatoTERM. Check it out here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282138-platoterm-for-atari-st/

Thank you for the nice welcome. This is an interesting project and I look forward to trying it out. Right now I'm really looking for Terminal programs that support ANSI. I want to connect to Dark Force BBS.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I am getting a 520stfm tomorrow and already have a gotek drive I use with my Amigas.  Would like to use it with the stfm.  Can anyone point me to .st disk image files?  Like one for terminal software?  Want to use my Wimodem32 with it also but won't have any software to start with.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I've just got a WiModem so playing again with all the terminal stuff again from my youth.

IMO if you want something to run fast on a bog standard ST I would use Uniterm.

For a faster ST/TT/Falcon then using a lovely fully windowed 'terminal' - Connect95 or Connect97.

Edited by JamesWD

I'm sorry, I can not. I don't have any of the GOTEK devices or such so I never

needed those images. I've always preferred mass storage devices such as the

Ultrasatan.

With a quick Google search, I did find these:

Ansi ST v0.40 (1994-05-07)(Uncensored Software).zip

Flash v1.60 (1986)(Antic).zip

Hope this helps...

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of getting some made.

I should have at least one in a couple of minutes.  I have some job interviews (as the hiring guy) at 2:30 and 3 (2:15 now) so I might only get one actually shot out to you, but I can get more after work.

It will be Freeze Dried and AnsiTerm on one image.

I can probably grab DarkLords too.

• Like 1

@tlgrooms Ok.... Sorry about the delay...   The interview time had arrived and then we needed the extra time to talk about the candidates and the mandatory obligatory complaining about the general state of the world.

I made two images, each with 2 programs... So one contains AnsiTerm 1.90 and Freeze Dried Term 2.2, the second is Taz 1.00 and Vanterm 3.8  You can download them here..

http://www.sfhqbbs.org/resources.php

You can also find the Atari BBS list at the same site.... http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php (the ST ones are marked, including one... NRG, at the bottom in the "new" section).

I'll try to get some others up later tonight or tomorrow... including the ones DarkLord just posted and InterLink (which kinda supports Atascii) if I can remember where I put my original disk.

I don't use any kind of floppy emulation on my real machines, but I tried the images out briefly on Hatari to make sure they converted ok from MSA.  Let me know if you have issues. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much both DarkLord and Tellek.  I really appreciate it.  I'm going to get one of the hard drive emulators soon that will make things much easier.  I have been on your bbs DarkLord.  Looks good.  I am mtnclimber there.

Also thanks so much for the Atari BBS list.  I have been on several with my 130xe/800xl and just starting with the ST. 

Edited by tlgrooms
Added bbs list thanks.

7 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Welcome aboard - and thanks for calling!  :)

Figures... as always.... I provide the solution.... he calls your BBS instead. :P  Hope he enjoys purple!!!!

(All good, I'm just messin... it's our thing... but when you're tired of the substandard ANSI you can always try SFHQ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tillek said:

Figures... as always.... I provide the solution.... he calls your BBS instead. :P  Hope he enjoys purple!!!!

(All good, I'm just messin... it's our thing... but when you're tired of the substandard ANSI you can always try SFHQ).

Substandard, hah!  How's your VT52 support these days?   :)

Ah, I agree that ANSITerms' output is awesome. I think I like it best of the ANSI

supporting term packages I've tried.

However. I'm not a fan of it's interface. It seems clunky and clumsy to me.

In which case, DarkForce!'s screens seen through Flash, TAZ, FDT, CoNnect,

etc, is appealing to me...  :)

Let's do a quick comparison. First, an ANSI screen from DarkForce! :

MonthlyPrize01.thumb.JPG.5deefe7ff9584b640239ed15d33f961d.JPG

Now the same screen, but in VT52 :

MonthlyPrize02.thumb.JPG.380a1c7f020a9e2c439659158234f3dc.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

I'll be giving you a call very soon if I haven't already Tillek.  Thanks again guys!

Since this seems to have turned in a ST bbs posting thread.

Dont forget 

bbsclubhouse.ddns.net:1040 - Bikerbob's Clubhouse

thesybariteorg.sytes.net:420 - The Sybarite Organization 

Both ST software - both running on real ST hardware (As are both Darkforce and SFHQ)

As for terminal software - I am a fan of Freeze Dried Terminal myself for all the features etc.. does great with ANSI.   As mentioned above, the only two I am having troubles getting working well are Connect95/97 .. not sure why. might just be the interface.

James (Bikerbob)

• Like 1