IGNORED

TI File Transfer Issues

AwkwardPotato

Now that I have a working disk controller, I've tried transferring some games (from the Modules on Disk archive) over via a Win98 PC that (supposedly) supports single density. I've tried both Omniflop and TI99-PC, however the disks created by both programs won't autoload in XB. The disk images do autoload in V9T9, though. Additionally, if I OLD the LOAD program and run it, the menu for the disk appears, but selecting any of the options causes the TI to reboot. I am, however, able to successfully catalog the disks with Disk Manager (I did notice that LOAD isn't marked with a Y in the P column, not sure if this is significant or not). What are some things I should look out for that might be causing this issue?

Thanks!

Edited by AwkwardPotato

Now that I have a working disk controller, I've tried transferring some games (from the Modules on Disk archive) over via a Win98 PC that (supposedly) supports single density. I've tried both Omniflop and TI99-PC, however the disks created by both programs won't autoload in XB. The disk images do autoload in V9T9, though. Additionally, if I OLD the LOAD program and run it, the menu for the disk appears, but selecting any of the options causes the TI to reboot. I am, however, able to successfully catalog the disks with Disk Manager (I did notice that LOAD isn't marked with a Y in the P column, not sure if this is significant or not). What are some things I should look out for that might be causing this issue?

Thanks!

i would verify the mainboard on your Windows 98 PC does in fact support Single Density.

If you have an RS232 card then you can use MAGIC FM to transfer files over to the TI.

I got a straight (not null modem) DB-9 to DB-25 cable, and I'm using it in conjunction with a USB-Serial adapter connected to a Mac to transfer files. With MESS + TIImageTool, I just get 255 at the top of the screen for both the emulated TI and the real TI when I try to transfer MagicFM. Not sure if it's the RS-232 card, the cables, how I have MESS set up, etc. For what it's worth, here's what I'm using in XB on the real TI to set up the connection (emulated TI is the same, but SAVE instead of OLD).

OPEN #1: "RS232.BA=1200"
OLD RS232 

Here's what I'm using to start MESS:

mame64 ti99_4a -cart exbasic -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot7 tirs232 -ioport:peb:slot8 tifdc -flop1 disks/mfm.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000
Edited by AwkwardPotato

Not that this will solve your issue, but I think you can eliminate the OPEN statement and just do:

OLD "RS232.BA=1200" on the one you want to receive the program on and

SAVE "RS232.BA=1200" on the sender and it should work if the cable is hooked up correctly.

Otherwise, you'll be transferring at 300 baud (the default).

Update: I transferred MagicFM to disk via CS1er and have the TI communicating (almost) successfully with a PC running TeraTerm. The text shown on the TI screen is echoed on the the PC, however, when MagicFM instructs to start the download on the remote computer, I start the transfer with XModem, and TeraTerm hangs after sending the first packet. Not sure where to go from here.

Update: I transferred MagicFM to disk via CS1er and have the TI communicating (almost) successfully with a PC running TeraTerm. The text shown on the TI screen is echoed on the the PC, however, when MagicFM instructs to start the download on the remote computer, I start the transfer with XModem, and TeraTerm hangs after sending the first packet. Not sure where to go from here.

try qodem.. i have had better luck with the xmodem http://qodem.sourceforge.net/

Just tried qodem, seems to have the same issue too. After further investigation, it's just repeatedly trying to send the same first packet (the part with the TIFILES header) until MagicFM aborts the process after too many retries. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the card as I've now tried multiple different terminal emulators across 2 computers. If there is a problem with the card, how should I test/diagnose it?

Correction: The host computer isn't repeatedly sending the first packet, it's receiving a line from the TI that says "TIFILES" along with the destination file name. icon_confused.gif

For what it's worth, I noticed that the CTS and DSR lines are always active, no matter what.

what baud rate are you using? I think magicfm defaults to 19200 which should work.. also do you have a real serial port on the Peecee or a usb one? if usb what chipset?

I've tried every baud rate allowed by MagicFM, and I'm using it with a PC with a real serial port.

EDIT: I messed with the settings a bit and now instead of printing only gibberish the TI now prints "Successful", although it's before the program is completely transferred.

EDIT 2: Turns out that using a max of 2400 baud in HyperTerm solves the issue. I'll definitely be looking into the HDX mod soon, though.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by AwkwardPotato
  • Like 1

Good to know! I'll try that out once I get an Editor/Assembler cartridge.

BTW, I just thought I'd mention it here in case it hasn't been mentioned before, but the piece of foam/rubber inside the Flex Cable foot's shielding can apparently corrode the underside of the board right around the 74LS245. On mine a fair bit of the solder mask was eaten away and the traces had some "green fuzz" on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried every baud rate allowed by MagicFM, and I'm using it with a PC with a real serial port.

EDIT: I messed with the settings a bit and now instead of printing only gibberish the TI now prints "Successful", although it's before the program is completely transferred.

EDIT 2: Turns out that using a max of 2400 baud in HyperTerm solves the issue. I'll definitely be looking into the HDX mod soon, though.

Thanks for the help!

For the record here I have had good success with the "paid for" version of the old Hyper Terminal on Win 10, Magic FM at 9600 baud using a real RS232 port on a Gateway computer. Have not tried 19.2 yet.

I could not figure out how to use HDX over the un-modified RS232 com port. That would be a real bonus. Is there a manual for HDX on the net somewhere?

For the record here I have had good success with the "paid for" version of the old Hyper Terminal on Win 10, Magic FM at 9600 baud using a real RS232 port on a Gateway computer. Have not tried 19.2 yet.

I could not figure out how to use HDX over the un-modified RS232 com port. That would be a real bonus. Is there a manual for HDX on the net somewhere?

I have a detailed walk through here https://atariage.com/forums/topic/248292-pc-to-ti-transfers-with-stock-rs232nanopeb-and-hdx-server/page-1

if it doesn't work.. it's likely your serial port or cable.. note its a STRAIGHT THROUGH CABLE on the TI rs232 and usb rs232 adapters are not all the same.. On the nanoPEB it needs a null modem as it's wired differently.

I have a detailed walk through here https://atariage.com/forums/topic/248292-pc-to-ti-transfers-with-stock-rs232nanopeb-and-hdx-server/page-1

if it doesn't work.. it's likely your serial port or cable.. note its a STRAIGHT THROUGH CABLE on the TI rs232 and usb rs232 adapters are not all the same.. On the nanoPEB it needs a null modem as it's wired differently.

I bought an off the shelf, 25 pin to 9 pin, null modem cable (I think) and it worked right out of the plastic bag with Magic FM.

I was relieved. RS232 wiring has eaten parts of life in the old days. ;-)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Is there something better than the Terminal Emulator II module for transfering files to a Win95 pc?  I have the RS232 cable on the TI connected to a com port on the PC.  I can transfer text files back and forth between HyperTerminal and the TEII, but none of the PC transfer protocol settings will work with the TI.  Is TI file transfer something standard like xmodem, or proprietary?  Is the com connection a problem? Would a RS232 card in the PC be needed? Would HDX run with a Win95 PC?

Thanks for any insights as how to proceed!

Edited by dyvydross