IGNORED

Champ Games - Wizard of Wor Arcade - 2600

johnnywc

** The latest demo ROMs can be found in this post.  Have fun! :)  ** 

Hello all,

Now that Mappy is almost complete and awaiting it's release at the Portland Gaming Expo in a few weeks, Champ Games would like to announce our next game... Wizard of Wor Arcade!

For those who may not know, Champ Games started a Wizard of Wor rewrite back in 2007 that was never completed. That code has been resurrected and the current version takes full advantage of the latest technology, including CDF bank-switching for enhanced graphics (created by Nathan Strum) and all the arcade mazes, arcade-like sound effects and speech (created by Mike Haas) using the AtariVox+ (over 50+ phrases!). Additionally, it will support Nathan Tolbert's re-vamped multi-joystick adapter which will allow 2 joysticks to be plugged into one port while leaving the second one free for in-game speech with the AtariVox and high score saving!

Special thanks to CDS Games and Nukey Shay for their blessing and amazing work on the Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena hack which provided the inspiration for some of the cut scenes and mazes, and it was also the game that Mike's AtariVox speech were originally developed for.

The game is about 95% complete and and will available to play (with Nathan T's multi-joystick adapter and AtariVox+ speech) at this years Portland Gaming Expo. My brother Paul and I will be on hand if you're up for a challenge! :)

Here is a screenshot of the title screen. I will be posting more info as the PRGE approaches, with a playable ROM to be posted sometime after the expo.

post-30-0-38228900-1536886494_thumb.png

Edited by johnnywc
updated title
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't you make speak built-in, like it was with Draconian?

The 5 short phrases in Draconian took 4.5K to store the data, about 9000 samples packed 2 samples per byte. The Wizard is way too chatty (phrase list below the header TRIVIA) to store them as samples in ROM.

With the AtariVox plugged in a joyport, you lose the possibility of playing 2 players with human speech samples.

It supports a new version of Nathan's slick multiplexer which allows 2 joysticks to be plugged into a single port. Nathan demoed his original version at PRGE last year, Joe Decuir was quite impressed with it.

• Like 3

The 5 short phrases in Draconian took 4.5K to store the data, about 9000 samples packed 2 samples per byte. The Wizard is way too chatty (phrase list below the header TRIVIA) to store them as samples in ROM.

It supports a new version of Nathan's slick multiplexer which allows 2 joysticks to be plugged into a single port. Nathan demoed his original version at PRGE last year, Joe Decuir was quite impressed with it.

If it supports Nat's quadjoust-thing, then I take back my worries and... Hail to the King, baby. :D

• Like 5

Forgive me for saying, but I predict AtariVox support to be requested a TON in Stella soon after this release...

Even weirder, the voices here are WAY more intelligible than the original! XD

Not to mention the title screen ALONE! Best titlescreen for the VCS. EVER. :D

Edited by JFD62780
  • Like 1