IGNORED

Champ Games - Wizard of Wor Arcade - 2600

johnnywc

You can still buy a real AtariVox and plug it into your PC, and Stella will use it.

It works great, too. With my computer I use a pair of Bose Companion 20 speakers which have an auxiliary input that I plug the AtariVox into. I can hear it and Stella through them at the same time.

(For a lot less money, you can get one of these and a couple of adapters to do the same thing with any computer speakers.)

• Like 2

It works great, too. With my computer I use a pair of Bose Companion 20 speakers which have an auxiliary input that I plug the AtariVox into. I can hear it and Stella through them at the same time.

(For a lot less money, you can get one of these and a couple of adapters to do the same thing with any computer speakers.)

Splitting the difference, there are these pair of Bose (Companion 2 Series III), for $150 less than the $249 Companion 20 from Bose direct, @$99. ;)

Also, those seeking a decent sounding pair with Aux input, while being more modest in their spending, can opt for this Logitech set @$20. :)

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is proud to announce that we will have the LIVE DEBUT of WIZARD OF WOR ARCADE by Champ Games TONIGHT!!

We will be broadcasting LIVE on TWITCH at 6PM PT/9PM ET!

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

Make sure you tune in as we will also be debuting Nathan Tolbert's multi-tap prototype that allows Wizard of Wor to play with two players AND the AtariVox!! See you tonight!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 3

The 5 short phrases in Draconian took 4.5K to store the data, about 9000 samples packed 2 samples per byte. The Wizard is way too chatty (phrase list below the header TRIVIA) to store them as samples in ROM.

It supports a new version of Nathan's slick multiplexer which allows 2 joysticks to be plugged into a single port. Nathan demoed his original version at PRGE last year, Joe Decuir was quite impressed with it.

This is probably a stupid idea, but instead of having a multiplexer allowing 2 joysticks into port 1, would it be feasible to use the same multiplexer technique to add a pass-through joystick connector to an AtariVox?

That way you would only need a single device in port 2, instead of both a joystick multi-tap and a AtariVox.

• Like 1

Not a hardware guy so don't know for sure, but I suspect the AtariVox could have been designed with a passthrough port.

One benefit of the multi-tap is you can use 2 of them for 4 player joystick/driving controller games.

Good points Darrell. Also, the multi-tap prototype we're using is for 2 joysticks, but the hardware design/software can be expanded to have up to 4 joysticks on 1 port as well. I suspect Nathan T. will offer a 2 port and 4 port model to meet different price points. Technically you could in theory support up to EIGHT players simultaneously, but I don't know how feasible that would be. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good points Darrell. Also, the multi-tap prototype we're using is for 2 joysticks, but the hardware design/software can be expanded to have up to 4 joysticks on 1 port as well. I suspect Nathan T. will offer a 2 port and 4 port model to meet different price points. Technically you could in theory support up to EIGHT players simultaneously, but I don't know how feasible that would be. :)

Yeah, my tentative plan (still pending on finding a solution to the pesky RF interference issue) is to basically have dual 2-port multiplexers on a single board, and sell them that way. Having multiple models means lower production runs on each model, which might offset any cost savings on the fewer components. If I do it this way, it can work for 4-players, or work for 2-players-on-a-port for WoW.

I just got some components in the mail last night to try another design for fixing the RF interference, (and I just finished the first draft of my current homebrew project, a 4-player NES party game), so hopefully I can devote some time soon to working on the adapter.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just released! ZeroPage Homebrew's interview with John Champeau of Champ Games at Portland Retro Gaming Expo 2018!

We caught up with John Champeau at the AtariAge booth at PRGE to discuss his past, current and future homebrew game titles including his new release Mappy and WIP game Wizard of Wor! John also dropped some hints of some upcoming game titles he has planned including a whole line of homebrew sports titles for the Atari 2600!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 6

Thanks so much, John C. makes top notch homebrew games and I knew I had to get him in front of the camera to talk some more about them. I can't wait for the full release of WoW as well, the level editor just puts the cherry on the top of everything too!

Excellent interview. Champ Games continues to bring home the arcade experience. Mappy is simply ridiculous, but in a good way. icon_thumbsup.gif

Can't wait for WoW, the mention of a maze editor made my jaw drop.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Here is the first playable demo of Wizard of Wor Arcade. It is about 90% complete with an expected release date of April 2019.

To Do:

• finish sound fx, most notably the Worluk death sound and the Wizard background sound and death sound
  • enhancements to ADVANCED mode
  • add TEAM mode, including team score (player 1 + 2 score combined) with high scores, ability to bring back fallen worrior if level complete with extra lives, etc.)
  • ability to create custom mazes (and save them to Atarivox)

TO PLAY:

From the title screen, use left/right to select the skill level:

NOVICE - less monsters, slower monsters, Wizard teleports less frequently
STANDARD - most like the arcade
ADVANCED - more monsters to start, faster monsters, Wizard teleports more frequently

Press SELECT to cycle through game modes: 1 player with and without robot controlled worrior (robot worriors aren't animated on the title screen), plus 2 player. Note that 2 player option is not available if the Atarivox is detected. WoW does support 2 player with Atarivox voice using Nathan Tolbert's joystick multi-tap (allows you to plug in 2 joysticks into port A) which should be available around the release of WoW Arcade.

Press RESET or the joystick button to start a game.

At the beginning of each maze, your worrior will be in the start area. Press up to enter the maze (he will automatically enter after the timer below the start area reaches 0).

Use the joystick to move your worrior around the maze (player 2 uses the other joystick). At each side of the maze is a warp tunnel that will transport your worrior (and the monsters) to the other side of the maze when entered. The warp tunnel can only be entered when it is open (a red arrow is displayed). The warp tunnel is closed once it is used and will open again after a delay.

Press the button to fire a missile to destroy the monsters. After destroying a number of the blue monsters (BURWORS), a yellow monster (GARWORS) will enter the maze. Killing a GARWOR will spawn a red monsters (THORWORS). Destroy all monsters to move to the next dungeon.

If the left difficulty switch is in the B position, the blue worrior can shoot the yellow worrior.
If the right difficulty switch is in the B position, the yellow worrior can shoot the blue worrior.

Starting with DUNGEON 2, once all monsters are defeated, the WORLUK will appear. Destroy him before he exits the maze. If you destroy the WORLUK before he escapes, the next dungeon will be a DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON (all point values are doubled).

After destroying the WORLUK, the WIZARD may appear. He moves fast and shoots lightning bolts which are deadly to the worrior. He also will teleport periodically making him difficult to track down. Hit the Wizard with a missile to banish him from the DUNGEON and move on to the next level.

THE ARENA

The 4th dungeon is a special dungeon (the Arena) that features a wide open area in the middle. A bonus worrior is awarded prior to the Arena.

THE PIT

The 13th dungeon (and every 6th dungeon after that) is the PIT, a dungeon with no walls! A bonus worrior is awarded prior to each PIT dungeon.

WORLORD DUNGEONS

Starting with Dungeon 8, the worrior is promoted to WORLORD (and will be referred to as such by the Wizard when he taunts you). The WORLORD dungeons tend to be have less walls and therefore are more difficult when seeking a safe area.

GAME OVER

The game ends when all worriors have been destroyed (for both players if a 2 player game). If a high score is achieved, use the joystick to enter in your initials. Press up/down to select the initial, left/right to choose which initial, button to accept the current initial and move on to the next one. Pressing the button after entering the 3rd initial will complete the entry. Scores will be saved to the Atarivox if detected. To reset a high score table, press and hold RESET and then press SELECT while viewing the scores.

As always, any feedback is appreciated. Special thanks to Nathan Strum for the graphics and cool title screen, and Mike Haas for the wonderful sound fx and speech phrases.

Have fun!

John

wowarc_20181115.bin

• Like 23

Wowee wow wow. Man the VCS (and Champ Games) just continues to impress! Think about it man.. with Pacman, DK, Super Cobra, LadyBug, Warlords (MM), Scramble, Crazy Balloon, Mappy, Asteroids, the trackball games, and several others I can't remember because the list is getting too long. Who'd have friggin thought that one day the 2600 would be thought of as having the BEST arcade ports? :lol: I love it.

• Like 4

Looks and plays great already. Are the missing SFX dependant on the AtariVox or will they be software implemented? I know that the Voice Effects will need AtariVox.

Thanks! The missing SFX will use the TIA (not the Avox). There are about 50 phrases or so already in the game using the Atarivox, if there is room we will add more! :)

• Like 3