IGNORED

Champ Games - Wizard of Wor Arcade - 2600

johnnywc

Game gets pretty crazy after a few boards.

That's for sure! One tip: kill the BURWORS (blue monsters) early before they speed up as the monsters they spawn take on the speed of the monster that was killed.

Also, since STANDARD is meant to be like the arcade (ie. a quarter muncher), you can try NOVICE for a slower ramp up of the speed (plus less monsters to start).

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 3

That's for sure! One tip: kill the BURWORS (blue monsters) early before they speed up as the monsters they spawn take on the speed of the monster that was killed.

Also, since STANDARD is meant to be like the arcade (ie. a quarter muncher), you can try NOVICE for a slower ramp up of the speed (plus less monsters to start).

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks! The quality of your games is amazing.

• Like 1

No, Atarivox is not required. It's most likely the version of Stella as Darrell suggests above. :)

Thanks. Just upgraded Stella and it works great. Very impressive - excellent job on this game! Back in 1982 or '83, the CBS release of Wizard of Wor for Atari was one of my Christmas presents. Having just played it now one time only, I'm going to put it on my Harmony cart and hold off playing it again until Christmas day - I think it's pretty cool that I'll be able to play a better version of the same game (on the same light sixer console) as I did 35 years ago as a kid!

Edited by eegad
  • Like 1

Thanks. Just upgraded Stella and it works great. Very impressive - excellent job on this game! Back in 1982 or '83, the CBS release of Wizard of Wor for Atari was one of my Christmas presents. Having just played it now one time only, I'm going to put it on my Harmony cart and hold off playing it again until Christmas day - I think it's pretty cool that I'll be able to play a better version of the same game (on the same light sixer console) as I did 25 years ago as a kid!

Awesome! I thought CBS did a pretty good job with their release; my main issue was the flicker that really bothered my eyes so I could never play it as long. When I originally set out to re-do WoW back in 2007 the main reason was to reduce the flicker, but with today's technology I figured I'd upgrade everything else while I was at it. ;)

That's great you still have your original console; I wish I still had mine! I made the mistake of letting a 'friend' borrow it with all my carts when I headed off to college and it was never returned. :/

• Like 1

Thanks. Just upgraded Stella and it works great. Very impressive - excellent job on this game! Back in 1982 or '83, the CBS release of Wizard of Wor for Atari was one of my Christmas presents. Having just played it now one time only, I'm going to put it on my Harmony cart and hold off playing it again until Christmas day - I think it's pretty cool that I'll be able to play a better version of the same game (on the same light sixer console) as I did 25 years ago as a kid!

I do something similar, but over a bigger time span like from Thanksgiving through New Years. Those are the best and fun times.

And when I'm done gaming for the day, it's time to relax in the evening with hot soup and some books and other reminiscings.

• Like 2

I clearly need more practice, but this is turning into another gem from Champ Games. My AtariVox gives it's thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve! Good score to start, it definitely gets pretty difficult on the later levels.

Any feedback about difficulty ramping, skill levels, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Steve! Good score to start, it definitely gets pretty difficult on the later levels.

Any feedback about difficulty ramping, skill levels, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Man I think you hit the nail on the head difficulty-wise, but man I keep getting my ass kicked on the arena, but that's mostly my fault since I keep thinking that hiding in the corners will keep me safe.

• Like 1

This is so entirely kewl! Is this a hack on the original or a total rewrite? Edit: I just went back to look at original WOW... yeah... definitely a complete and awesome rewrite!

Is anyone else using Stella emulation with the AtariVox? Mine starts glitching out (with R2D2 tones!) sometime after the first screen and usually during the intermission organ music :? . My AtariVox Berzerk plays fine, except for one time when it looked like it was doing simultaneous sounds (death, shot, voice at same time) and glitched out on me. I have to repower AtariVox (replug into USB) and restart game. It did the same on both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. Anyone else noticed the same? I'm sure it works fine on a real Atari.

Edit: Okay, It happens after speech... almost like something is not being reset after speaking.

Edited by MissCommand

Is anyone else using Stella emulation with the AtariVox? Mine starts glitching out (with R2D2 tones!) sometime after the first screen and usually during the intermission organ music :? . My AtariVox Berzerk plays fine, except for one time when it looked like it was doing simultaneous sounds (death, shot, voice at same time) and glitched out on me. I have to repower AtariVox (replug into USB) and restart game. It did the same on both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. Anyone else noticed the same? I'm sure it works fine on a real Atari.

Edit: Okay, It happens after speech... almost like something is not being reset after speaking.

Do you have an AtariVox+? If so, it's a known issue. It will also glitch on real hardware if it's the same problem.

Do you have an AtariVox+? If so, it's a known issue. It will also glitch on real hardware if it's the same problem.

Yes, it is the AtariVox + (I got it just a few weeks ago from the AA Store).

I tried something else... not sure what it tells me, but... I played past the first screen when the voice started glitching again and did a save state on Stella. I reset the AVox and restarted the game and did a restore state and the voice was fine again (for another screen). So I guess that tells me the glitches that scramble the voice are not part of the save states on Stella. BTW, this does not effect the standard sound effects of the game, they still continue fine as the game does as well. But whenever it wants to speak, it gives me all the weird tones.

I've not yet tried any other games other than the Berzerk 2 Player, which seems to work fine screen after screen. What is another good one to test with voices... Juno First?

Awesome! I thought CBS did a pretty good job with their release; my main issue was the flicker that really bothered my eyes so I could never play it as long. When I originally set out to re-do WoW back in 2007 the main reason was to reduce the flicker, but with today's technology I figured I'd upgrade everything else while I was at it. ;)

That's great you still have your original console; I wish I still had mine! I made the mistake of letting a 'friend' borrow it with all my carts when I headed off to college and it was never returned. :/

I left my original Atari and all my carts in a few boxes at my parents while I was away at college. I had a fairly nice collection with all the original boxes and manuals. When I returned, I found he gave it all away to someone else during spring cleaning... ugh!

BTW, one thing I remember about the arcade WOW was not only the voices, but the rad organ music... and it sounds fantastic on this game. The three of you make a great team. Let alone, I cannot believe the music you got out of the 2600 for Mappy... it's quite amazing that is coming from a 2600 and it's limited music scale.

• Like 2

My AtariVox Berzerk plays fine, except for one time when it looked like it was doing simultaneous sounds (death, shot, voice at same time) and glitched out on me. I have to repower AtariVox (replug into USB) and restart game. It did the same on both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. Anyone else noticed the same? I'm sure it works fine on a real Atari.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying the game! As Nathan mentions below, this is an issue that we *think* is related to the Atarivox+ as there have been numerous software tests done to try to eliminate the behavior but none have been successful.

You mention an Atarivox Berzerk that seems to play fine (except for an occasional glitch). I was not aware an Avox Berzerk existed! Berzerk VE I believe uses samples on the cart; am I remembering that correctly? Is there a Berzerk with voice that uses the Atarivox? If so, maybe I can reach out to that developer and see if there's anything different between how we're implementing the speech that may fix or help the issue.

I left my original Atari and all my carts in a few boxes at my parents while I was away at college. I had a fairly nice collection with all the original boxes and manuals. When I returned, I found he gave it all away to someone else during spring cleaning... ugh!

That's terrible! Luckily it's easy to find new systems/games (at least it was back in 1999 when I 're-discovered' the 2600) but nothing beats having the ones you grew up with.

BTW, one thing I remember about the arcade WOW was not only the voices, but the rad organ music... and it sounds fantastic on this game. The three of you make a great team. Let alone, I cannot believe the music you got out of the 2600 for Mappy... it's quite amazing that is coming from a 2600 and it's limited music scale.

Thanks! Mike Haas is doing a great job with the sound fx - only a few more to go! Add in Nathan's amazing graphics and they make these games so much better - Champ Games is very lucky! :D The music in Mappy was done by Mike as well, and we're using the DPC chip to play it (same technology used in Pitfall 2) - it makes an amazing difference!

You mention an Atarivox Berzerk that seems to play fine (except for an occasional glitch). I was not aware an Avox Berzerk existed! Berzerk VE I believe uses samples on the cart; am I remembering that correctly? Is there a Berzerk with voice that uses the Atarivox? If so, maybe I can reach out to that developer and see if there's anything different between how we're implementing the speech that may fix or help the issue.

Yeah... it is kind of hidden under a thread for adding more mazes to Berzerk, one could easily miss it. RevEng is the one who did it and he added all (I think) of the phrases in Berzerk with Atarivox... so you can hear phrases during gameplay without blanking the screen.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/108063-2600-berzerk-more-new-mazes/page-3

• Like 1

Yeah... it is kind of hidden under a thread for adding more mazes to Berzerk, one could easily miss it. RevEng is the one who did it and he added all (I think) of the phrases in Berzerk with Atarivox... so you can hear phrases during gameplay without blanking the screen.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/108063-2600-berzerk-more-new-mazes/page-3

Looks like post 74 has the latest Berzerk with Atarivox ROM:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/108063-2600-berzerk-more-new-mazes/?p=2233160

• Like 3