IGNORED

Champ Games - Wizard of Wor Arcade - 2600

johnnywc

That 2-player deal where I control both players just happened to me upon startup again, but this time I noticed that it said "Quadtari Found" (must have the first time, just didn't see it) before it showed the main screen with the two player option. Running yellow Worrior on the right/static blue Worrior on the left. Obviously, the game thinks I have a Quadtari when I don't. I do have an extension cable running to my AVox though... so wondering now if maybe the extra resistance or capacitance from the cable is tricking the program somehow? Guess I should try bypassing the extension cable next... 

Why isn’t their a forum topic/thread all about the Quadtari when it’s obviously being implemented in game code?

15 hours ago, save2600 said:

That 2-player deal where I control both players just happened to me upon startup again, but this time I noticed that it said "Quadtari Found" (must have the first time, just didn't see it) before it showed the main screen with the two player option. Running yellow Worrior on the right/static blue Worrior on the left. Obviously, the game thinks I have a Quadtari when I don't. I do have an extension cable running to my AVox though... so wondering now if maybe the extra resistance or capacitance from the cable is tricking the program somehow? Guess I should try bypassing the extension cable next... 

Hmm, that's strange.  The auto-detection for the QuadTari is to check INPT0 and INPT1 (paddle A and paddle B), pins 5 and 9 respectively.  If a regular joystick is connected, both *should* be low.  If a QuadTari is connected, INPT0 should be low (it's connected to ground) and INPT1 should be high.  If a Genesis controller is connected (or paddles), both INPT0 and INPT1 should be high.  For some reason it looks like INPT1 (paddle B, pin 9) is registering high even though it's not connected (assuming you're using a normal CX40 joystick or compatible).  The good news is that I did put in a bypass so if you hold down SELECT when you power on the game, it will disable the check for the QuadTari which should fix your issue.  Please let me know if not using an extension cable fixes the issue also.

39 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

Why isn’t their a forum topic/thread all about the Quadtari when it’s obviously being implemented in game code?

Apologies for not providing an update earlier.

The API for the QuadTari has been finalized, but the development has taken longer than expected.  Nathan Tolbert @gauauu originally had a joystick multiplexer design that used both joystick ports to support 4 joysticks.  I approached him a couple years ago and suggested a design that could support 2 joysticks using 1 port, freeing up the other port for the AtariVox.  The good news is that functionally it works very well; unfortunately, there is a bit of static that is visible on the screen when using the QuadTari (most likely due to the power drawn from the QT circuits).  Interestingly enough, there is no interference whatsoever when using the QuadTari with a video-modded Atari (the interference only appears when using RF video).  We have gone through multiple designs to reduce the interference with a lot of help from AA members @ChildOfCv and @BigO and we are currently are trying to finalize the design while also reducing chip count/cost of the unit.  Once completed, Nathan T. will be taking over the production and sale of the units.  Champ Games has added QuadTari support into WoW (for 2 player/Avox with voice) and also into Galagon to support 2 player co-op with Avox plugged in for high score savings.  We will be adding in QuadTari support into all of our future games if it makes sense (i.e. if the game supports 2 simultaneous players with Avox in port 2).

I will post an update here once we have more info to share.

Thanks,

John

• Like 4

I'd bet that Save2600 has a two button controller plugged in. I just tried it out on my own and it gives the quadtari connected screen every time. When you hit the second button on the controller, it resets or reloads the game.  Weird things happen with two button controllers on a few other homebrews, most notably Thrust! 

Also tried using an Atari with two controller one ports to see if I could get two player going with the Vox, but it did not work. It did let me controller both characters with one controller and the Vox, though, so that is fun. I imagine the same could be done with a y-splitter, too.

• Like 1

Apologies for not providing an update earlier.

The API for the QuadTari has been finalized, but the development has taken longer than expected.  Nathan Tolbert [mention=39949]gauauu[/mention] originally had a joystick multiplexer design that used both joystick ports to support 4 joysticks.  I approached him a couple years ago and suggested a design that could support 2 joysticks using 1 port, freeing up the other port for the AtariVox.  The good news is that functionally it works very well; unfortunately, there is a bit of static that is visible on the screen when using the QuadTari (most likely due to the power drawn from the QT circuits).  Interestingly enough, there is no interference whatsoever when using the QuadTari with a video-modded Atari (the interference only appears when using RF video).  We have gone through multiple designs to reduce the interference with a lot of help from AA members [mention=66741]ChildOfCv[/mention] and [mention=12370]BigO[/mention] and we are currently are trying to finalize the design while also reducing chip count/cost of the unit.  Once completed, Nathan T. will be taking over the production and sale of the units.  Champ Games has added QuadTari support into WoW (for 2 player/Avox with voice) and also into Galagon to support 2 player co-op with Avox plugged in for high score savings.  We will be adding in QuadTari support into all of our future games if it makes sense (i.e. if the game supports 2 simultaneous players with Avox in port 2).

I will post an update here once we have more info to share.

Thanks,

John

Thank You![emoji120] I look forward to seeing the upcoming progress of the Quadtari.

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:

The good news is that functionally it works very well; unfortunately, there is a bit of static that is visible on the screen when using the QuadTari (most likely due to the power drawn from the QT circuits).

Wondering - instead of drawing power from the Atari, what about using a dedicated power supply? (Yes... I know that's kind of a pain, but if it solves the problem...)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Wondering - instead of drawing power from the Atari, what about using a dedicated power supply? (Yes... I know that's kind of a pain, but if it solves the problem...)

Hi Nathan!  Good idea!  :idea: I think the hardware guys suggested that but I'm not sure what the final consensus was.  I'll post the question in the multiplexer thread and see what the experts think.  :)  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, McCallister said:

I'd bet that Save2600 has a two button controller plugged in...

Nope! Rarely ever use a 2-button controller and only do when I have to for certain games. I'm using a regular good ol' CX-40. My favorite stick of choice when Atari'n.   :)

Hello all,

Here is the first playable demo of Wizard of Wor Arcade. It is about 90% complete with an expected release date of April 2019.

To Do:
  • finish sound fx, most notably the Worluk death sound and the Wizard background sound and death sound
  • enhancements to ADVANCED mode
  • add TEAM mode, including team score (player 1 + 2 score combined) with high scores, ability to bring back fallen worrior if level complete with extra lives, etc.)
  • ability to create custom mazes (and save them to Atarivox)
TO PLAY:

From the title screen, use left/right to select the skill level:

NOVICE - less monsters, slower monsters, Wizard teleports less frequently
STANDARD - most like the arcade
ADVANCED - more monsters to start, faster monsters, Wizard teleports more frequently

Press SELECT to cycle through game modes: 1 player with and without robot controlled worrior (robot worriors aren't animated on the title screen), plus 2 player. Note that 2 player option is not available if the Atarivox is detected. WoW does support 2 player with Atarivox voice using Nathan Tolbert's joystick multi-tap (allows you to plug in 2 joysticks into port A) which should be available around the release of WoW Arcade.

Press RESET or the joystick button to start a game.

At the beginning of each maze, your worrior will be in the start area. Press up to enter the maze (he will automatically enter after the timer below the start area reaches 0).

Use the joystick to move your worrior around the maze (player 2 uses the other joystick). At each side of the maze is a warp tunnel that will transport your worrior (and the monsters) to the other side of the maze when entered. The warp tunnel can only be entered when it is open (a red arrow is displayed). The warp tunnel is closed once it is used and will open again after a delay.

Press the button to fire a missile to destroy the monsters. After destroying a number of the blue monsters (BURWORS), a yellow monster (GARWORS) will enter the maze. Killing a GARWOR will spawn a red monsters (THORWORS). Destroy all monsters to move to the next dungeon.

If the left difficulty switch is in the B position, the blue worrior can shoot the yellow worrior.
If the right difficulty switch is in the B position, the yellow worrior can shoot the blue worrior.

Starting with DUNGEON 2, once all monsters are defeated, the WORLUK will appear. Destroy him before he exits the maze. If you destroy the WORLUK before he escapes, the next dungeon will be a DOUBLE SCORE DUNGEON (all point values are doubled).

After destroying the WORLUK, the WIZARD may appear. He moves fast and shoots lightning bolts which are deadly to the worrior. He also will teleport periodically making him difficult to track down. Hit the Wizard with a missile to banish him from the DUNGEON and move on to the next level.

THE ARENA

The 4th dungeon is a special dungeon (the Arena) that features a wide open area in the middle. A bonus worrior is awarded prior to the Arena.

THE PIT

The 13th dungeon (and every 6th dungeon after that) is the PIT, a dungeon with no walls! A bonus worrior is awarded prior to each PIT dungeon.

WORLORD DUNGEONS

Starting with Dungeon 8, the worrior is promoted to WORLORD (and will be referred to as such by the Wizard when he taunts you). The WORLORD dungeons tend to be have less walls and therefore are more difficult when seeking a safe area.

GAME OVER

The game ends when all worriors have been destroyed (for both players if a 2 player game). If a high score is achieved, use the joystick to enter in your initials. Press up/down to select the initial, left/right to choose which initial, button to accept the current initial and move on to the next one. Pressing the button after entering the 3rd initial will complete the entry. Scores will be saved to the Atarivox if detected. To reset a high score table, press and hold RESET and then press SELECT while viewing the scores.

As always, any feedback is appreciated. Special thanks to Nathan Strum for the graphics and cool title screen, and Mike Haas for the wonderful sound fx and speech phrases.

Have fun!

John
wowarc_20181115.bin
@johnnywc does this version if the demo loop back after arena 8 like demo 2 does? I know there's some more refinement and sound effects in the second demo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

@johnnywc does this version if the demo loop back after arena 8 like demo 2 does? I know there's some more refinement and sound effects in the second demo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hello there!  I don't believe the first demo loops back to dungeon 1 after dungeon 8.  :)  

4 hours ago, save2600 said:

Nope! Rarely ever use a 2-button controller and only do when I have to for certain games. I'm using a regular good ol' CX-40. My favorite stick of choice when Atari'n.   :)

D'oh! I would have lost that bet, then. I like the good ol CX-40 myself.  Will have to try and see if I can get that message up with one as well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What's your problem with Thrust?

When I tried it with a two button controller plugged in, the ship is constantly thrusting. If I push and hold that button, then the rest of the controls work as they normally would with a regular joystick.  

Also noticed this happens with a couple other homebrews that I can't remember right now.

1 hour ago, McCallister said:

When I tried it with a two button controller plugged in, the ship is constantly thrusting. If I push and hold that button, then the rest of the controls work as they normally would with a regular joystick.  

Is that a cart or a ROM? Which version?

Until recently, the game only supported the BoosterGrip as two button controller. This is causes problems with the Genesis controller, because there the 2nd button signal is inverted compared to the BoosterGrip. So when you release the button on a Genesis, the game thinks you pressed the button on a BoosterGrip and vice versa.

Recently (IIRC last year) I created a version (ROM 1.28?) which supports both controllers. You only have to switch the Color/B&W key between BoosterGrip and Genesis.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Wizard of Wor Arcade for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

2042832172_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestPackagingAtari2600.jpg.a91b263f12fc28a2ca7b8469de787a92.jpg1041121609_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.jpg.cd54b6a0a1d267a4b95713c0023f133a.jpg633496660_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.5fa5c5687842e78f45a229d0ee29853c.jpg813716809_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.c5f984ae25f51df0819d2dfde57010b3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1658147420_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Winner-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.thumb.png.d26c28aeb94454a0946223d948fc47e3.png

2019 ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS RESULTS

Thank you everyone for an amazing event today. Congratulations to all the nominees and the winners! You can watch the replay on Twitch or when it's posted on YouTube tomorrow!

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew ≤4K
1) Amoeba Jump by Dion Olsthoorn "Dionoid"
2) Space Game 2KB by Karl Garrison "Karl G"
3) Caverns by Harold Thijssen

Atari 7800: Best Homebrew
1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"
2) Baby Pac-Man by Bob DeCrecenzo "PacManPlus"
3) Draker Quest II by Clark Otto "frankodragon"

Atari 2600: Best Packaging
1) Rally Racer by More Work Games
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)

Atari 2600: Best WIP
1) Zoo Keeper by Champ Games
2) Ninjish Guy in Low Res World by Vladimir Zuñiga (aka John Von Neumann) "vhzc"
3) Penult by Karl Garrison "Karl G"

Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew
1) Gravity Worms - Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek, Jakub "Aceman" Szeląg, Kamil "Vidol" Walaszek
2) Jet Set Willy 2019 - Terence "Tezz" Derby (original game by Matthew Smith)
2) Wasteland - Michael Jaskula

Atari 2600: Best Music & Sound
1) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (sound by Mike Haas with Ross Keenum)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (sound and music by Ross Keenum)
3) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)

Atari 2600: Best Graphics
1) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)

Atari 2600: Lifetime Achievement Award
Albert Yarusso

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew
1) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games
2) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games

• Like 2

i noticed on the update before last when i last rocked this (which i will again soon)- that it only works w/ joystick and not Sega controller.  I was wondering if that was intentional, since most games usually are compatible w/ both- its forces me to use the joystick, and hey, out of ALLLLLLLL atari games, **THIS** prob is the one i prob most should be playing w/ my dusty ol Tac-2 joystick-- so yea just wondering k!

You can buy the games in the Store and play the real carts and support the authors and Atariage [emoji4]

If they come in the mail so you can play them it’s always a nice plus![emoji3]

I still have the demo roms to play on my harmony encore so I’m not totally without.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, xefned said:

Are there any plans to sell the retail version of the ROM? If so, I'd love to buy a copy!

Hello there!

Yes, we are planning on selling a retail version of the ROM sometime in the near future on our website (www.champ.games) and/or right here on Atari Age. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2