IGNORED

Anybody own the C64 Mini? Impressions?

Spike Danton

16 minutes ago, retrorandy said:

I bought mine about a month ago for $30 from the local Gamestop. 

I was impressed by the look of the device and I REALLY like how easy it is to use.
I've tried to use Vice on a hacked Wii and it always seemed like a pain to load the file, change joystick ports & play properly. 

I agree with others that the joystick isn't all that precise. Makes me long for the old Atari joystick to play games. 

I do have an old USB Gravis gamepad PRO I've plugged in that is working rather nicely. The joystick port thing is a bit annoying & I'd always run into that with Vice on the Wii too. Sounds like the easiest solution is plugging in two joysticks. I will have to buy a USB port expander. 

Overall I am a happy camper & I find myself playing it quite a bit. Some of these games were super hard & having an easy way to do save states is beyond AWESOME! Nice to see such a thorough discussion about this product on this forum. :) 

If you need to make the game use joystick port 1 on a game add _J1 to the end of the rom name. Example change 1943.d64 to 1943_J1.d64 Make sure the J is a capital J. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

2 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

Still getting licensing rights for the games. 

Fingers crossed.  I would have assumed they would acquire the rights for all of the games in the Mini for the full-sized unit at the same time.  Meh, we shall see... hold on tight!

38 minutes ago, pimpmaul69 said:

The game list isnt the same. 

Good point.  I have neglected to look closely at that, admittedly because built-in games on the full-size are not my primary concern.  I have tons of disk images of games I actually own, and those are the games I want to play on it.  Of course, having any of them included would be a bonus.  Since the machine will not have any ports, I am hoping, and I would also like this for the Mini, it will include a driver for the XU1541 so we can connect a real disk drive or printer to the system.  Such a small thing to ask :) besides back-porting multi-disk functionality to the Mini.

Other than the HDMI output, I am a bit torn on the full-size for my home.  I have a 64ReloadedMk2 with an SD2IEC, as well as an Ultimate64 which I have yet to install in a case.  The Reloaded is about as portable as the TheC64 will be, so that functionality is moot.  And since my entertainment system is being built around miniature systems with HDMI -- TheC64 Mini, NES Classic, ColecoVision Phoenix, Sega Genesis Mini (pre-ordered,) and an Atari 7800 (non-HDMI and no mini of it, yet, but it is pretty compact) -- the full size cannot find a home there.

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Good point.  I have neglected to look closely at that, admittedly because built-in games on the full-size are not my primary concern.  I have tons of disk images of games I actually own, and those are the games I want to play on it.  Of course, having any of them included would be a bonus.  Since the machine will not have any ports, I am hoping, and I would also like this for the Mini, it will include a driver for the XU1541 so we can connect a real disk drive or printer to the system.  Such a small thing to ask :) besides back-porting multi-disk functionality to the Mini.

Other than the HDMI output, I am a bit torn on the full-size for my home.  I have a 64ReloadedMk2 with an SD2IEC, as well as an Ultimate64 which I have yet to install in a case.  The Reloaded is about as portable as the TheC64 will be, so that functionality is moot.  And since my entertainment system is being built around miniature systems with HDMI -- TheC64 Mini, NES Classic, ColecoVision Phoenix, Sega Genesis Mini (pre-ordered,) and an Atari 7800 (non-HDMI and no mini of it, yet, but it is pretty compact) -- the full size cannot find a home there.

I would realy love to have all of thec64 full size software in the mini, and then a full size keyboard as just a keyboard with usb ports on the side. If by sheer luck the full size board fits in the mini and the keyboard is usb, i just might shove the board into the mini, and add a usb hub to the keyboard. I dont want to be tied down to my tv which sits on my dresser because of the hdmi and power cord. Otherwise i will need to buy another school desk like i use for my apple iie raspberry pi now and just use a monitor. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

mini-necro- my inlaws bought me a set of the Innext SNES-style controllers from Amazon and they work fantastic out of the box.  here's an action shot!

My only gripe is that the d-pad feels a little mushy, but I may just need to get used to it.  For all the little niggles, I still really like my C64 Mini.

71887429_708205966258672_5713132262682263552_n.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I was trying to play Jumpman this morning (that came with the Mini), and couldn't because it was running too fast to play- the character moves like in hyperdrive.

Is this something anyone else has run into with the game?

I have yet to play it on the Mini, but sounds like a PAL game running on NTSC hardware issue.

Also, didn't some versions of this game adjust its speed by the press of a number (something like 1-9) at startup? Instead of pressing the fire button to start, try inputting a number...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Also, didn't some versions of this game adjust its speed by the press of a number (something like 1-9) at startup? Instead of pressing the fire button to start, try inputting a number...

Yes.  Original Jump Man will prompt you for a speed before the game starts (I can't remember if Jr prompts).   I believe 1 is the fastest.  Try 3, 4,  or 5 for a not insane speed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I was trying to play Jumpman this morning (that came with the Mini), and couldn't because it was running too fast to play- the character moves like in hyperdrive.

Is this something anyone else has run into with the game?

so update on this- the speed key worked before loading the game as mentioned.  :) 

What I still ran into, though, is that the game just behaved strangely.  Sometimes Jumpman would respond, sometimes he wouldn't- sometimes the speed would stay the same, sometimes it wouldn't.  At no point would Jumpman actually... jump, lol.

I ended up snagging a disk image and running it on my USB drive- *that* version works exactly how I remembered it.   Thanks again all for the tips!

I don't see any evidence that Jumpman would exist in separate PAL and NTSC versions, if that was the case that the built-in version was for a different video mode. Later Epyx games like e.g. Pitstop II came in two separate versions though, and I know first hand that the European version was somewhat delayed because they had to reprogram it.

49 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I don't see any evidence that Jumpman would exist in separate PAL and NTSC versions, if that was the case that the built-in version was for a different video mode. Later Epyx games like e.g. Pitstop II came in two separate versions though, and I know first hand that the European version was somewhat delayed because they had to reprogram it.

The internal config for the game could be wrong too. I will look at the game and config when i am home. 

Still using it weekly. Granted I am only playing the Castles of Dr Creep at the moment (until I finish all 12 castles). And it's more fun now since I did the conversion on it and put it in a large case if only for the keyboard functionality. Just thought, after a while; I'd answer the OP "Anybody own the C64 Mini? Impressions?" - I really like it. At the lower price point I purchased it for and with the community build allowing USB sticks to load game images, I'm pretty impressed. And I use the default joystick with it even after breaking and repairing it, the system is giving me much joy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

Both jumpman and jumpman junior on thec64 mini are pal rom versions of the games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

So you're saying there exists both PAL and NTSC versions of said games?

Let me make a correction. No. Same rom. However, they have it running as pal screenshot and the config file is set as pal. They both have to be replaced to run it in ntsc correctly 

I'm not sure I follow. So the emulator in THEC64 Mini is configured for PAL emulation for these (and possibly more) games. The unit outputs HDMI at 720p in either 50 or 60 Hz, and this would cause the game to be jerky as digdugnate practically described it, that sometimes the input wouldn't register and sometimes the character would move?

If we compare to e.g. VICE emulation on a PC, the refresh rate on your video card most probably is independent on which video mode you're emulating. I don't know much about HDMI and its magic and frankly didn't even know that Hz was a factor with HDMI but as the official homepage mentions it, I suppose it plays a role. Also when downloading the game as a D64 image and playing it from there, does it imply you then would configure THEC64 Mini to emulate in NTSC and the output framerate now matches the emulation?