IGNORED

Anybody own the C64 Mini? Impressions?

Spike Danton

18 minutes ago, Loafer said:

my guess is they didn't want to hurt the sales of the Maxi since that was one of the important unique value of the upgrade

While I realize this is supposition and hope this is not what is really happening, if this is true they will never get another f-ing penny from me.  Shyte like this is why I prefer to support private/independent developers.

I was cynical and jaded from the initial announcement, and I was very open about bad-mouthing the C64 Mini.  I bought one, was somewhat impressed, and ate some crow.  But those initial feelings of cynicism are creeping in over the lack of updates fixing what they promised on the Mini.  If what you say is what is happening, this would be the end for me.  I would much rather support Jens and Gideon, neither of whom have let me down.

Oh, and screw those Facebook updates.  I go to their website and read a blurb, then "go to Facebook for more!" Up yours and screw you.  Not everybody is on Facebook, and why even have a website if all you are going to do is tease to get people over to the big F?

Yeah, I am pretty butt-hurt over this and doing my level best to restrain myself in a public forum.

• Like 2

hey man, it's a freebee; as I stated "MY GUESS IS".  It could be true but it could also be:

- limited development time

- they have other projects on the go they need to focus on

- AT THE SAME time, as they update for the Vic20, they can then put forth a bit more time to give the mini some love

Now with your thinking, if they add it in, they are bad for doing so? 

Man business is business. What they promised us is what was written on the box and they've gone WAY beyond that with the USB support, the Galaga type game, etc. They've gone way beyond what nintendo, Sega and other mini makers have done with their products. Why don't you take a min, revisit your thoughts and see it THAT way!  For frig's sake.  That may not be your intent but it reams of entitlement bro, hopefully it's just because of a bad day

Which is why I said "I realize this is supposition."

7 hours ago, Loafer said:

Now with your thinking, if they add it in, they are bad for doing so? 

Man business is business. What they promised us is what was written on the box

If they deliberately, again supposition, delay a promised enhancement so as not to take away from a new product then, yes, they are bad for doing so.  The original commitment is what was on the box until they amend that commitment, which they have.  Sure, they have added new games, which is great, but these enhancements do not give cover to missed promise of a feature, especially if said feature is available for another product and deliberately restricted from an existing product.

To argue in the alternative for the moment, let us say Apple has a particular product line of which they release the first of two products to great hype.  After release, Apple acknowledges a short-coming in the original product.  This short-coming does not affect the product in 90% of use-cases, but it is still a short-coming which Apple promises to remedy.  Then it introduces a second product of this product line which is supported by the same or similar code base of the original product, and this new product incorporates the promised fix.  But Apple deliberately withholds this promised fix from the existing product to ensure the new product release is not affected.

Indeed if, and I say if, this is the case with THEC64 then, yes, this is a level of douche-baggery we have not only seen in the past, but have screamed to the high heavens against.  As well, relativistic arguments such as "x has done more than y" are irrelevant when a unmet commitment goes unmet.  Were I to commit myself to a customer beyond the original scope of a contract, then renege on that commitment saying, "I did what was contracted, which is already more than what x competitor would have done," that customer would never call me back.

7 hours ago, Loafer said:

For frig's sake.  That may not be your intent but it reams of entitlement bro, hopefully it's just because of a bad day

Are we not entitled to the satisfaction of a commitment, irrespective of a "bad day" or a "good day" when we make such an observation?

Again, there is a big if to this scenario which does make a difference in perception.  IF the premise is true, that RetroGames has withheld a promised feature from the Mini to protect sales of the "Maxi," then I firmly stand by my assertions.

Sure but did they really promise they would improve this feature on the mini?  I don’t recall but I will absolutely agree if they promised, that’s a commitment and they need to make it happen, you are correct.

In saying that I still think overall, they have under promised and over delivered.  For that, the company still has my respect.  I will say the joystick on the mini is absolute crap so they def needed to up their A game. Apparently although its not perfect, the maxi controller is a big improvement

edit: just to add, you know you will never find out though if they withheld a feature, so I would recommend it’s useless to get riled up over something you will never know (because they’d be nuts to go “Nyah Nyah, you don’t get the feature” and as I outlined earlier, there are possible valid reasons to absolutely not just throw it in)

Edited by Loafer

BTW It is interesting you chose apple as the example. Apple has done this before. I love their ecosystem and how everything works well with each other (iPad/iPhone and Apple Watch).  but there have been many times some features have come out that it doesn’t look (at least at first glance) that there is a specific hardware requirement for said feature. For example, I think Siri’s ability to call it via “hey Siri”. On the older iPhones, the feature will work but the phone needs to be plugged in, I think on iPhones 7+, they don’t.  You aren’t wrong though

9 hours ago, Loafer said:

(please dear god, let it be the Amigamini!)

If they produce an 'THEAMIGA500' or something to that effect, I do whatever I can to grab one, especially if they have a front end that make it easy to play games and/or access to applications like D-Paint.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The colour of the plastic will be different plus that I suppose it defaults into VIC-20 mode instead of that being optional. Also for those who haven't loaded their own games onto a stick, the new unit will have more VIC games and fewer C64 games than the previous model.

• 11 months later...

I just bought a US C64 mini from an Amazon seller and it arrived sealed and intact. It works great but the controller has a red plastic ring on the base of the stick that is loose and rattles when shaking it or tipping it upside-down. Is that ring supposed to be glued on, or is it supposed to be loose like that? If that how it's supposed to be, what's the purpose of it?

48 minutes ago, fiudr said:

I just bought a US C64 mini from an Amazon seller and it arrived sealed and intact. It works great but the controller has a red plastic ring on the base of the stick that is loose and rattles when shaking it or tipping it upside-down. Is that ring supposed to be glued on, or is it supposed to be loose like that? If that how it's supposed to be, what's the purpose of it?

It is a dust cover.  Mine is loose too and that is a common design for joysticks.  It helps keep dust out but still allows for disassembly of the base.

arcade joystick dust cover - Bing images

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have one for about two years I might get out of the box once in while . After awhile of not using it all the time I forget how to get games to run.And some games that I have played are extremely difficult or just confusing. I'm not saying I don't like it,I have more fun other consoles.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 5:52 PM, Gory-Glory said:

I have also a C64 Mini and I like it, it is easy to use. 😀

I have one, and I don't like it. My C-64C is easier to use, and can do more.

I can't say I never use it, but it doesn't see much use here.

The Mini's main use, is at parties when I don't want the drunks pounding on my real hardware.

Edited by motrucker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Here is my new The C64 Mini setup with my white Andersson wireless keyboard and mouse that I had before connected to my The A500 Mini.

I have it connected with a unpowered USB-Hub together with my The Joystick.

I have my USB-Stick connected in the other USB-Port.

I tested to play Giana Sisters and other games where you must hit space on the crack intro to come to the game and it worked also to press 1 on the keyboard to select 1 player and Y to select unlimited lives on the trainer.

20240228_193022.thumb.jpg.01bd893dbfb83cc63d41b5cddb229e12.jpg

Edited by Gory-Glory
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a C64 Mini a couple of years ago and did attempt programming on it.   I found an issue;  comparing variables threw up a bug;  

IF A<B then ....
IF A>B then ...
this would end up as:-
IF A<B then....
IF A<B then....

making it impossible for me to create my dopewars game and / or any other program that had comparisons in code. I'm hoping The64 full-size does not have this issue as I'm awaiting delivery of one at the moment.