Spike Danton

Anybody own the C64 Mini? Impressions?

16 minutes ago, retrorandy said:

I bought mine about a month ago for $30 from the local Gamestop. 

I was impressed by the look of the device and I REALLY like how easy it is to use.
I've tried to use Vice on a hacked Wii and it always seemed like a pain to load the file, change joystick ports & play properly. 

I agree with others that the joystick isn't all that precise. Makes me long for the old Atari joystick to play games. 

I do have an old USB Gravis gamepad PRO I've plugged in that is working rather nicely. The joystick port thing is a bit annoying & I'd always run into that with Vice on the Wii too. Sounds like the easiest solution is plugging in two joysticks. I will have to buy a USB port expander. 

Overall I am a happy camper & I find myself playing it quite a bit. Some of these games were super hard & having an easy way to do save states is beyond AWESOME! Nice to see such a thorough discussion about this product on this forum. :) 

If you need to make the game use joystick port 1 on a game add _J1 to the end of the rom name. Example change 1943.d64 to 1943_J1.d64 Make sure the J is a capital J. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

I just noticed on the site for the full-size TheC64:

WHAT'S INCLUDED

[...]

2amp USB AC Adapter

Woah!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I just noticed on the site for the full-size TheC64:

Woah!

Sucks that there isnt a us release date yet. 

1 hour ago, pimpmaul69 said:

Sucks that there isnt a us release date yet. 

Yeah... I was pondering earlier today on why that is.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah... I was pondering earlier today on why that is.

Still getting licensing rights for the games. 

2 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

Still getting licensing rights for the games. 

Fingers crossed.  I would have assumed they would acquire the rights for all of the games in the Mini for the full-sized unit at the same time.  Meh, we shall see... hold on tight!

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Fingers crossed.  I would have assumed they would acquire the rights for all of the games in the Mini for the full-sized unit at the same time.  Meh, we shall see... hold on tight!

The game list isnt the same. 

38 minutes ago, pimpmaul69 said:

The game list isnt the same. 

Good point.  I have neglected to look closely at that, admittedly because built-in games on the full-size are not my primary concern.  I have tons of disk images of games I actually own, and those are the games I want to play on it.  Of course, having any of them included would be a bonus.  Since the machine will not have any ports, I am hoping, and I would also like this for the Mini, it will include a driver for the XU1541 so we can connect a real disk drive or printer to the system.  Such a small thing to ask :) besides back-porting multi-disk functionality to the Mini.

Other than the HDMI output, I am a bit torn on the full-size for my home.  I have a 64ReloadedMk2 with an SD2IEC, as well as an Ultimate64 which I have yet to install in a case.  The Reloaded is about as portable as the TheC64 will be, so that functionality is moot.  And since my entertainment system is being built around miniature systems with HDMI -- TheC64 Mini, NES Classic, ColecoVision Phoenix, Sega Genesis Mini (pre-ordered,) and an Atari 7800 (non-HDMI and no mini of it, yet, but it is pretty compact) -- the full size cannot find a home there.

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Good point.  I have neglected to look closely at that, admittedly because built-in games on the full-size are not my primary concern.  I have tons of disk images of games I actually own, and those are the games I want to play on it.  Of course, having any of them included would be a bonus.  Since the machine will not have any ports, I am hoping, and I would also like this for the Mini, it will include a driver for the XU1541 so we can connect a real disk drive or printer to the system.  Such a small thing to ask :) besides back-porting multi-disk functionality to the Mini.

Other than the HDMI output, I am a bit torn on the full-size for my home.  I have a 64ReloadedMk2 with an SD2IEC, as well as an Ultimate64 which I have yet to install in a case.  The Reloaded is about as portable as the TheC64 will be, so that functionality is moot.  And since my entertainment system is being built around miniature systems with HDMI -- TheC64 Mini, NES Classic, ColecoVision Phoenix, Sega Genesis Mini (pre-ordered,) and an Atari 7800 (non-HDMI and no mini of it, yet, but it is pretty compact) -- the full size cannot find a home there.

I would realy love to have all of thec64 full size software in the mini, and then a full size keyboard as just a keyboard with usb ports on the side. If by sheer luck the full size board fits in the mini and the keyboard is usb, i just might shove the board into the mini, and add a usb hub to the keyboard. I dont want to be tied down to my tv which sits on my dresser because of the hdmi and power cord. Otherwise i will need to buy another school desk like i use for my apple iie raspberry pi now and just use a monitor. 

• Like 1