IGNORED

Myster jag CD Eprom popped up.

firestorm18

https://tinyurl.com/y725qag9

Any clue what this thing is? i've never seen one for sale, just blank cards for people installing their own eprom. My best guess is it could be an early prototype of the jaguar cd bypass cart, but im really just speculating.

That auction has been on eBay for about 18 months now.

Not sure NEW MEMBER.....trying to stir up interest by chance? An odd first post to make.......... :P I know you been here a while but this seems to be your first post.....

everyone has to have their first post... what do you want me to say my name and something about myself like we are in summer camp first? please tell me what rule i may be breaking by being curious about something?

everyone has to have their first post... what do you want me to say my name and something about myself like we are in summer camp first? please tell me what rule i may be breaking by being curious about something?

Calm down :lol: I never said any rule was broken did I? Still, when a first post is an Ebay link it is always suspect and has often in past proven to be exactly that, an attempt to stir up interest. If that is not the case this time then fine, carry on.......

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

God DAMN! That soldering!

I wouldn't put that piece of shit in the same room as my Jag. Lol

From that bottom pic "no solder pad was UNharmed during production" ... what in the world?

EDIT: The posting states "Untested" ... no shit, if you'd try chances are your Jag would go the way of the dodo .... whoever decides to waste 100US$ on a bad solder job ... just let it go.

• Like 3

I doubt that thing will ever work.

Most of the pins do not appear to have any solder on at all and most of those that do have been done so badly either there is no contact between the pin and the pad or they appear to be shorted to adjacent pins. I certainly would not want to plug it into my Jag.

• Like 2

I suspect it's a really poor attempt to shift a knackered 4 chip board. Wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing on the EPROMs of any value or interest. I can't think of any reason that a developer would burn the JagCD BIOS to EPROMs and test like that, I am sure they had Alpines and flash carts etc, the CD BIOS is useless without the CD Unit, unless you want to look at the "power not connected" image.

• Like 5

I'm sorry, I just lurk here, but... this one was amazing.

-commercial shell with the original label torn off doesn't suggest beta (Atari would have blank shells or not use a shell at all, if they did this)

-EPROMs from three different manufacturers doesn't suggest beta (Atari /likely/ would have had stock of the same mfg at least)

-date codes look like 93, unknown , 94 and 92 (and 93 for the EEPROM). That one's not impossible but it's quite a range for a commercial prototype.

-Commercial PCB with '93 copyright seems odd for a beta

-Two of the EPROMs (U1 and U3) look like they're reused, with glue from old stickers remaining visible

-I can't speak to the labels themselves - are they in the correct style? Are the numbers supposed to be checksums? No dates?

The soldering is more than just a giveaway -- kudos for showing the bottom of the board. There's no way this board ever worked.

If the EPROMs are genuine, someone just attempted to make a PCB for them - maybe just to try them out - but did not know how to solder. It's a little hard to see but you can see scorch marks on the PCB... my old question is whether that was solid core or acid core solder used, cause there's no evidence of flux.

And the "Acceptable" quality rating...

The hair under the label in U2 might be useful, we can test the DNA and see if the creator actually worked for Atari...

Anyway... it's hardly a curiousity in this state. Maybe if you dumped the EPROMs so we can see if there's anything interesting on them. But as it stands now it's unlikely anyone will accept it as a part of history.
  • Like 5