IGNORED

The RGB ATARI ST series is faster when compared to the Coleco ADAM Computer

HDTV1080P

My first videogame system was the August 1982 ColecoVision and in October 1983 my first computer was the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer. In its time the ADAM computer offered the best videogames of any other computer system up until when it was discontinued in January of 1985. The ADAM computer was more powerful then the ATARI 130XE computer.

However, after further research I just realized that around June of 1985 ATARI released the 520ST computer which was much more powerful than the Coleco ADAM computer. The ATARI 520ST with color monitor had a 16 bit Motorola CPU at 8Mhz. The Coleco ADAM only had a 8 bit Z80A CPU at 3.58Mhz. Both the Atari ST and Amiga computers that were released around mid 1985 were more powerful than the Coleco ADAM computer. The Amiga was similar to the ATARI ST with its 16 bit Motorola CPU, however the first Amiga was only 7Mhz which means the ATARI 520ST with its 8Mhz CPU was a little bit faster than even the Amiga. Both the ATARI ST and Amiga have a mouse with an interface that is similar to Windows 3.0 in some ways.

One neat feature of the ATARI 520ST and the other ST series computers is that they have a 13 pin DIN plug with both legacy composite video and RGB output. The ATARI ST series is the only ATARI computers with native RGB output. The ATARI 800 in 1979 had Y/C output. Commodore Amiga also had RGB output but over a 23 pin D-SUB connector.

Does anyone know how many Atari ST computers were sold? I see 4 million Atari 800 were sold. Around 500,000 ADAM computers were sold and maybe the Atari ST computers was less then 500,000? I cannot find good information on how many ATARI ST computers were sold. It was a more expensive computer so it most likely was less popular, plus one had to own a high-end RGB monitor to get the best picture quality and in the mid 80’s people were still using RF and starting to get more involved with composite video and Y/C.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thank you for stating well known things :-D

Considering prices: I paid for my Atari 520 ST in 1987 less than what C-64 costed in 1983 . High-end monitor ? No, you could buy Atari's SC1224 for about as much 520 ST costed. And in those years RGB input on televisions was not so rare, at least in Europe. I added it to my TV, what had only composite input, and that was not so hard.

Here to add that ST had pretty good pic even with RF - comparing with C-64 or Spectrum.

My first videogame system was the August 1982 ColecoVision and in October 1983 my first computer was the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer. In its time the ADAM computer offered the best videogames of any other computer system up until when it was discontinued in January of 1985. The ADAM computer was more powerful then the ATARI 130XE computer.

However, after further research I just realized that around June of 1985 ATARI released the 520ST computer which was much more powerful than the Coleco ADAM computer. The ATARI 520ST with color monitor had a 16 bit Motorola CPU at 8Mhz. The Coleco ADAM only had a 8 bit Z80A CPU at 3.58Mhz. Both the Atari ST and Amiga computers that were released around mid 1985 were more powerful than the Coleco ADAM computer. The Amiga was similar to the ATARI ST with its 16 bit Motorola CPU, however the first Amiga was only 7Mhz which means the ATARI 520ST with its 8Mhz CPU was a little bit faster than even the Amiga.

ADAM did not have the best video games. It had a small library of original titles and mostly ran Colecovision games, of which only 129 were ever released in the US (I think 145 world wide). It had tiny monochrome sprites and no smooth scrolling. To access video memory you hand to go through a slow port on the video controller. It was terrible.

The Atari ST was only faster in CPU speed. It did not have smooth scrolling, like the Amiga, or sprites, or a blitter (at least initially). The Atari ST was a more elegant design, in my opinion, but in raw, pixel pushing power the Amiga wins.

Edited by rpiguy9907

ADAM did not have the best video games. It had a small library of original titles and mostly ran Colecovision games, of which only 129 were ever released in the US (I think 145 world wide). It had tiny monochrome sprites and no smooth scrolling. To access video memory you hand to go through a slow port on the video controller. It was terrible.

The Atari ST was only faster in CPU speed. It did not have smooth scrolling, like the Amiga, or sprites, or a blitter (at least initially). The Atari ST was a more elegant design, in my opinion, but in raw, pixel pushing power the Amiga wins.

The 1982 ColecoVision and the 1983 ADAM computer had the absoulte best videgames when compared to any other system (When the Nintendo NES was released in October of 1985 in the USA it had better quality graphics when compared to the ColecoVision/ADAM). Check out some ADAM exclusive games like Buck Rodgers the Supergame, Donkey Kong the Supergame with all 4 screens, and Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame with all 5 screens. Those last two games are such good quality that they even beat the NES version that does not have as many screens. But overall the NES is better for most games since it has 64 sprites instead of 32 sprites for the ColecoVision/ADAM. But even when I compare the ATARISOFT Pacman game for the ColecoVision and other games they look and sound better then the ATARI 800.

It would be interesting to see some of the games created for the ATARI ST series and Amiga series. I am guessing there is no Donkey Kong for those two computers.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks for the video. According to the copywrite that Amiga version of Donkey Kong was released in 1993 which is around 10 years after the ADAM version was released. The Amiga version looks very nice. I would have to play both versions side by side to see which one is better.

They are not 8-bit computers to have those 8-bit ports, unless they are PD games (homebrew). There are a couple of donkey kong clones for the ST, like Kid Kong for example. Frankly going by a quick list, I don't see any game apart from Dragon's Lair that's common to the two systems.

You can see the difference here:

And here's a Galaxian game

If you really want to see what the ST was able to do in 1985-87, there are a few impressive games, either in gameplay or in graphics like Dungeon Master, Goldrunner, Starglider, Arkanoid, Metrocross, Star Wars, Super Sprint to name a few.

• Like 1

Coleco stopped making videogame and computer systems in January of 1985 and there was never a second generation 16 bit ADAM computer made. That Atari ST computer has really awesome graphics with its 16 bit processor. I know the Atari ST Dragon’s Lair is around 7 years after the ADAM Dragon’s Lair was released. However when one compares the ADAM Dragon’s Lair to the Atari ST Dragon’s Lair, the Atari ST Dragon’s Lair is so much better quality, (The original Laserdisc version is still better than the Atari ST version). The best version of Dragon’s Lair is the Blu-ray disc version that plays on any Blu-ray player.

Thanks again for the videos, Atari had a real nice 16 bit computer that was comparable to the Amiga and according to the specs Atari’s first Motorola processor was 1Mhz faster than the Amiga.

I now have some more respect for the Atari computers, I thought the Atari 130XE was all they had, but the Atari 130XE was only their best 8 bit computer system.

Something happen in computer history that resulted in Atari and Commodore stopping the manufacture of computers around the mid 90’s and Windows with IBM clones and Apple taking over.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I know RGB and composite video is better quality then RF. However I was reading online that the first Atari 520ST’s did not have a RF modulator, and then later on in late 1985 the RF modulator was added. Also I have read that the 1040ST (F) does not have a RF modulator. However the Atari 1040ST (FM) does have a RF modulator.

It appears to be confusing which Atari ST’s have the RF modulator and which ones do not (also there is no visible channel selector switch on the back so the RF modulator either works on one default channel or there is a hidden way to change the channel). It appears that some Atari 520ST’s have native stereo RCA output jacks with a standard 3 prong AC power cord while other Atari 520ST’s have no RCA stereo outputs and require a special DIN style power adapter. There appears to be to many variations that makes things complicated.

The best and finial ATARI ST computer was the 32 bit Falcon that was released in 1992 and discontinued one year later in 1993.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The 1982 ColecoVision and the 1983 ADAM computer had the absoulte best videgames when compared to any other system (When the Nintendo NES was released in October of 1985 in the USA it had better quality graphics when compared to the ColecoVision/ADAM). Check out some ADAM exclusive games like Buck Rodgers the Supergame, Donkey Kong the Supergame with all 4 screens, and Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame with all 5 screens. Those last two games are such good quality that they even beat the NES version that does not have as many screens. But overall the NES is better for most games since it has 64 sprites instead of 32 sprites for the ColecoVision/ADAM. But even when I compare the ATARISOFT Pacman game for the ColecoVision and other games they look and sound better then the ATARI 800.

What you consider to be a "best video game" is highly subjective. The Colecovision/ADAM had the best conversions of old, simple, arcade titles with no smooth scrolling and unimpressive gameplay. Yes the games looked very good, but they were inferior in both gameplay and technology to the newer, original games being released on the Atari and Commodore platforms. You would never see something cutting edge like Rescue on Fractalus on the Colecovision/ADAM. The Commodore 64 already had a software library 10 times as large by 1985 (though of varying quality).

Nothing on the Colecovision animates nearly as well as Impossible Mission or Winter Games. No RPGs like Bard's Tale. Nothing comparable to Seven Cities of Gold.

The games available on the Colecovision were well behind what was available for Commodore and Atari by 1985.

Edited by rpiguy9907
  • Like 1

The games available on the Colecovision were well behind what was available for Commodore and Atari by 1985.

When comparing the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST 16 bit computers, yes the games were better quality for those systems. However when I used a 8 bit Atari 130XE and a Commodore 128 I preferred the quality of the games that the ADAM computer system offered. The 1983 ATARISOFT Pacman on the ColecoVision and some others are better quality then when I play the ATARI Pacman cartridge for the ATARI 8 bit computers. Back in 1983 Buck Rodgers the Supergame was reference quality on the ADAM. Some of the ADAM games use up to 256KB space which is really awesome for 1983 and 1984 time frame. Now by 1985 it is understandable that the game quality for the ColecoVision/ADAM went down hill. The reason is that Coleco stopped making both computers, videogame systems, and actual videogames in January of 1985. The ATARI and Commodore have a massive library of computer software and videogames that most likely is 20+ times the amount that the ADAM computer has. Another issue is that in the 20th Century there was hardly any third party company making Coleco quality videogames and computer software for the ColecoVision/ADAM system (Walters Software had some Coleco quality software like ADAM Desktop and others). The videogame development for the ColecoVision system all changed in the 21st Century when companies like OPCODE Games, CollectorVision, and Team Pixelboy started making games that are beyond the typical ColecoVision/ADAM quality with a new OPCODE Supergame module and supergame cartridges that can hold up to 8MB of space (Plus there is now a 32GB SDHC wafer drive that a programmer can make a game as large as 32GB if they had the time and supercomputer tools to do so). Check out OPCODE games Pacman Collection for the ColecoVision it is the best version of Pacman and Ms Pacman that I have every seen on any 8 bit videogame or computer system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

When comparing the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST 16 bit computers, yes the games were better quality for those systems. However when I used a 8 bit Atari 130XE and a Commodore 128 I preferred the quality of the games that the ADAM computer system offered. The 1983 ATARISOFT Pacman on the ColecoVision and some others are better quality then when I play the ATARI Pacman cartridge for the ATARI 8 bit computers. Back in 1983 Buck Rodgers the Supergame was reference quality on the ADAM.

That was my point the ADAM was only good for playing simple arcade games that mostly ran on single screens. Pacman and Buck Rogers are really primitive games - the Colecovision versions were certainly much better than the C64 versions, but the games are very primitive compared to what was available for the C64. So it is mainly a matter of preference, if you want to play simple games that are ported from old arcade games, the Colecovision would have been a better choice. Those ports were definitely better on the Coleco/ADAM. The C64 had games in its library that were much more impressive, but if your goal is to play the best version of Pac Man then in 1984 the Coleco/ADAM version was the way to go.

And since you mention modern Colecovision games... the modern C64 games are much more impressive. Mayhem in Monster Land came out 20 years ago and looks and scrolls better than anything the Colecovision could do, for example.

I know RGB and composite video is better quality then RF. However I was reading online that the first Atari 520ST’s did not have a RF modulator, and then later on in late 1985 the RF modulator was added. Also I have read that the 1040ST (F) does not have a RF modulator. However the Atari 1040ST (FM) does have a RF modulator.

It appears to be confusing which Atari ST’s have the RF modulator and which ones do not (also there is no visible channel selector switch on the back so the RF modulator either works on one default channel or there is a hidden way to change the channel). It appears that some Atari 520ST’s have native stereo RCA output jacks with a standard 3 prong AC power cord while other Atari 520ST’s have no RCA stereo outputs and require a special DIN style power adapter. There appears to be to many variations that makes things complicated.

The best and finial ATARI ST computer was the 32 bit Falcon that was released in 1992 and discontinued one year later in 1993.

Little friendly advice: don't write so low level statements with larger font - what you write here just makes any Atari user to smile.

Everyone just little familiar know that: STFM - has built in floppy (F), RF modulator (M) . STE is what has RCA jacks. Not complicated really.

And you come with 'best ATARI ST computer' - Falcon is not ST computer. And many will not agree that is best in Atari's 16-32 bit serial.

Channel selector ? Whatfor ? You select channel on TV, not on computer. I really did not hear anyone complaining about it in 33 years since Atari ST appeared on market.

Thanks for the information. So any ATARI ST computer that has a (M) at the end of the model number means that those computers have a built in RF modulator. Does the ATARI ST computers with the built in RF modulator option have a switch somewhere on the console so that the RF modulator can output on a different channel?

How about the two stereo RCA output option on some ATARI ST computers. Are you saying that the models with a E at the end have that feature?

Now when it comes to power supplies. Some ATARI ST computers well accept a standard 3 prong AC power cord that modern day ATX power supplies use while other ATARI ST computers (most likely older) only have a DIN style power input. Most likely without looking on the back of the computer there is no other way to tell the difference.

Edited by HDTV1080P

So yes, any ST with M in it's title will have a modulator by and large, E for enhanced and amongst other things as standard have the stereo RCAs, but also a modulator. Power supply, all STs from the STF onwards had a built in power supply, 3 pronged kettled cord. Those prior to the STF (260ST / 520ST / 520ST+/ 520STM) had an external power supply and used DIN style power to connect to the external brick.

Edited by Atari74user

Thanks for the information. So if I want RF both the (M) and (E) at the end of the ST model number have RF modulators. Plus the E has stereo RCA output jacks. I like the fancy built in power supply design using a standard 3 prong AC power cord.

If I do purchase one of these systems sometime in the future I would most likely go with the ATARI Falcon030 Computer System with a 32 bit processor and 32Mhz CPU. That is if I could find one.

"The Falcon was the ultimate version of the Atari ST line. In comparison to previous models of the ST series, the Falcon included the 56000 mostly for sound processing, and the new VIDEL programmable graphics system, which greatly improved graphics capabilities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Falcon

Edited by HDTV1080P

When the Adam came out, I got one of those that Christmas (NOT the add-on for the Coleco, mine was the full-blown computer). It was rarely used, the tape drives were awful, it'd erase tapes if you turned the damn thing on with one in the drive, if you didn't have the printer connected, you couldn't use it because they (for some unfathomable reason), put the power supply in the printer. I continued to use my Atari (400, 410 tape drive & 810 floppy, 850 and a modem) hardware for 99% of my day to day play, only really using the Adam as a glorified typewriter (with the slow daisy wheel printer, it did at least look good for school papers). It was near impossible to find games for that thing where I lived (one store had stuff for it), and if we played anything on it, it was one of our Coleco cartridges. When the ST came out, that was my next system after the Atari 400, by that point I didn't really consider the Adam a computer, but an expanded game machine (which in reality, is what it was). In my opinion (judged from a 14-year-old me's standpoint), the Adam system was junk (remember, this is from my 14-year old self, having had the machine basically from release). It was poorly designed from the start (power supply in the printer, massive EMP on startup that'd kill the tapes), tape drives that'd break and de-spool tapes (had it happen on more than one occasion). Back when I had it, I'd much rather have had more hardware for my Atari setup (additional floppy drives, etc) than the Adam once I'd used it.

It's pretty easy to tell which ST's have internal power supplies. If it's got the mouse/joystick ports on the right side, it uses an external power supply, if they are under the front of the keyboard, internal. As far as the STE's are concerned, I don't believe any of those came with the modulator (I'm not 100% sure on that, but about 95%, lol), and none of the ones with a modulator came with RCA audio outputs.

My advice, try to find either a 520 or 1040 STE if you're wanting an ST, it'll give you most of what you're looking for (for me the RF modulator has too much downside anymore, without a decent picture quality). Get an Atari monitor port to VGA adapter (one of the switch selectable color/mono, like from Exxos, the UBE), and an older NEC Multisync monitor that will work with all 3 resolutions.

You've not mentioned an entire series of ST machines (the Mega's), they were geared more towards business though with their square-box form-factor and separate keyboard.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see some of the games created for the ATARI ST series and Amiga series. I am guessing there is no Donkey Kong for those two computers.

There was a Donkey Kong clone made for the ST called Kid Kong, it's like the NES version only Mario was replaced with a different character for legal reasons.

Thanks for the information. So if I want RF both the (M) and (E) at the end of the ST model number have RF modulators. Plus the E has stereo RCA output jacks. I like the fancy built in power supply design using a standard 3 prong AC power cord.

RF is ok if you only want to play games, you really should try to get a RGB monitor to go with your ST if you can. Using medium resolution (80 colums of text) on a TV makes the text very hard to read cause it's blury.

If I do purchase one of these systems sometime in the future I would most likely go with the ATARI Falcon030 Computer System with a 32 bit processor and 32Mhz CPU. That is if I could find one.

ST games won't work on a Falcon unless you download adapted games. And that model is very hard to find in North America...

And for the record, my mom almost bought me an Adam a couple years after they were discontinued because she saw them on sale at Zayre's. Thankfully they got rid of them amd she got me an Atari 130XE instead which lasted me thoughout high school till I replaced it with an STe for college.

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 1

As far as the STE's are concerned, I don't believe any of those came with the modulator (I'm not 100% sure on that, but about 95%, lol), and none of the ones with a modulator came with RCA audio outputs.

I had an STe, it does come with both RF modulator and RCA audio jacks. I really would not recommend using the TV for anything other than games...

When the Adam came out, I got one of those that Christmas (NOT the add-on for the Coleco, mine was the full-blown computer). It was rarely used, the tape drives were awful, it'd erase tapes if you turned the damn thing on with one in the drive, if you didn't have the printer connected, you couldn't use it because they (for some unfathomable reason), put the power supply in the printer. I continued to use my Atari (400, 410 tape drive & 810 floppy, 850 and a modem) hardware for 99% of my day to day play, only really using the Adam as a glorified typewriter (with the slow daisy wheel printer, it did at least look good for school papers). It was near impossible to find games for that thing where I lived (one store had stuff for it), and if we played anything on it, it was one of our Coleco cartridges. When the ST came out, that was my next system after the Atari 400, by that point I didn't really consider the Adam a computer, but an expanded game machine (which in reality, is what it was). In my opinion (judged from a 14-year-old me's standpoint), the Adam system was junk (remember, this is from my 14-year old self, having had the machine basically from release). It was poorly designed from the start (power supply in the printer, massive EMP on startup that'd kill the tapes), tape drives that'd break and de-spool tapes (had it happen on more than one occasion). Back when I had it, I'd much rather have had more hardware for my Atari setup (additional floppy drives, etc) than the Adam once I'd used it.

It's pretty easy to tell which ST's have internal power supplies. If it's got the mouse/joystick ports on the right side, it uses an external power supply, if they are under the front of the keyboard, internal. As far as the STE's are concerned, I don't believe any of those came with the modulator (I'm not 100% sure on that, but about 95%, lol), and none of the ones with a modulator came with RCA audio outputs.

My advice, try to find either a 520 or 1040 STE if you're wanting an ST, it'll give you most of what you're looking for (for me the RF modulator has too much downside anymore, without a decent picture quality). Get an Atari monitor port to VGA adapter (one of the switch selectable color/mono, like from Exxos, the UBE), and an older NEC Multisync monitor that will work with all 3 resolutions.

You've not mentioned an entire series of ST machines (the Mega's), they were geared more towards business though with their square-box form-factor and separate keyboard.

I purchased the ColecoVision around August 1982 and then I purchased the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer in October of 1983. The reliability issue at launch gave the ADAM computer a bad reputation. The first generation of Expansion Module #3 ADAM computers at launch had a defective built in Smartwriter that locked up the entire computer when someone entered the Smartwriter mode. The Digital Data Drive worked for SmartBasic and worked fine for the amazing Buck Rodgers the Supergame but the Smartwriter was defective. I had to exchange my ADAM computer a minimum of 3 or 4 times before the Smartwriter bug issue was fixed. The issue was so bad that Montgomery Wards sent the entire batch of ADAM’s back to Coleco or Honeywell because of the bad Smartwriter issue. A person could come out with a conspiracy theory rumor that maybe someone at the Coleco assembly line was on purpose sabotaging the Smartwriter program so the ADAM would fail (The quality control should have caught the fact that the built in Smartwriter rom locked up the computer when going from electronic typewriter mode to word processing mode).

The Digital Data Drives were automatic high speed 256KB tape drives that were much faster than a manual tape drive, but slower than a disk drive. Yes the ADAM computer would generate a very small EMP that would destroy data on DDP if someone by mistake turns the computer on or off with a DDP in the drive. In addition, both the first generation Digital Data Drives and printers had issues. The ADAM got better in 1984 when a Disk Drive came out. When the R80 ADAM computers came out in 1984 all the major problems were fixed and only minor problems remained. The latest generation of Digital Data Drives were more reliable and worked much better as long as one did not turn off or on the computer when a DDP was inserted. I do agree with the computer power supply being built into the printer is a bad design decision, but in later years third party companies came out with external power supplies for the ADAM computer. The funny thing is that people that were paying around $800 for their ADAM computer in October 1983 were getting the ADAM’s with the most bugs in it, however the people that purchased their ADAM computers after Coleco stopped making them in January 1985 were getting the best quality ADAM’s at the lowest prices. Some people were buying ADAM computers in 1986+ for under $200 which is way below the manufacturing costs.

ADAM was unique back in 1983 since it had a square box form factor with a separate keyboard. Atari did not offer that until 1991 with the Mega ST computers.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Yeah, the Mega ST was released in 1987. Still from what I've seen on youtube, the Atari 8-bit outperforms the Adam in gaming by a huge margin. And actually I think the big box design hurt the system since from what I understand (256x192 resolution) it didn't have an 80 column mode so noone would take it seriously for SO/HO use.

Seeing as how my documentation didn't have anything that said you were supposed to remove the tapes when you power down, it wasn't left in by 'mistake'. Who designs a system that generates basically an EMP in an area where magnetic media is supposed to reside?? That, along with several other poor design choices were the downfall of the system sadly. When the initial info came out about the system I was pretty excited, which is why I asked for one. The implementation, however, left a good bit to be desired. I think one of the bigger selling points for my parents was that it included a letter-quality printer that I could use for school (everything I did for school homework was typed, everything, lol).

I'd love to know what happened to all my old systems and hardware. The only stuff that I can remember where it went was my old 8-bit hardware. I traded it all at a local Atari dealer for ST hardware (and if I remember correctly, a 2400 baud modem for the ST). Couldn't tell you at all what happened to the Adam, or my ST for that matter. Last I remember on those they were boxed up at my parents, but when we sold their house, none of that old hardware was there anymore.

My 1040STE doesn't have the RF output on it (empty spot on the board and the holes aren't drilled), so I assumed that none of the STE's did, but after doing a bit of research online, apparently, some do. If you're going to buy an STE, and that's important, make sure it's got it on the back, because you can't assume they all do (like I assumed they all didn't, lol). If the 'authentic' method of using software doesn't matter as much (using actual floppies), definitely invest in a Gotek drive for it, it'll make your life much easier far as software goes..