IGNORED

What the heck are these carts?

marc.teeters

We had a model 1, then moved onto the 3 and 4 before finally moving up to a 1000 around 1990 or 91. All we had up to the model 4 was cassette tapes and the 5.25 on the 4. We didn't have the 1000 very long before my dad finally gave up and got a 80/86 and then finally a 386.

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

My Uncle had what I believe was a Color Computer 1, from what I can remember and the picture I see on Wikipedia. Probably my first experience with a computer ever, but mostly for gaming. I don't think I had a 2600 yet, so going to my cousin's house was my only chance to play.

My Uncle worked for Raytheon, and they had a computer club that would buy the games and everybody would copy them. I remember a cartridge game that was like Missile Command only with submarines for the bases and you used the keyboard to fire. He brought it home and showed me how it was copied from cart to floppy drive (at least I think it was a floppy). Those Raytheon guys had a nice little thing going on with this club, and all I know is the games kept coming (I'm sure they had other programs but I wasn't interested.

Donkey King was a Kong clone I liked, and I think they used CompuServe to get online. I played my first adventure game online ("You are in a cave with three exits"...) and some Star Trek like game with a grid.

He supposedly still has his system so one of these days I'll have to see if it still works.

Obviously curious as to what the unlabelled game is...

I remember a cartridge game that was like Missile Command only with submarines for the bases and you used the keyboard to fire. He brought it home and showed me how it was copied from cart to floppy drive (at least I think it was a floppy).

I'm going to guess that was Polaris.

http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/polaris.html

• Like 1

I have carts for the IBM PC Jr and the Socrates, which was evidently a predecessor to the V-Smile educational systems. No idea why, no idea how, and no idea what I would do with them. They're about the same size as a Vectrex or Atari XE cartridge, and I wouldn't have a clue what they were for if they didn't have that information on the labels.