IGNORED

The Flashback 9 has an SD card slot?

Does this mean we can play all of our homebrew games on it?

That depends on the emulation used and if the home brew requires certain things.

It appears that the FB9 has a better emulation, as it has Pitfall II built in and there is some reference to ‘Stella’ (if I recall correctly) in the documentation.

I just checked, and it refers to both Stella and a libretto library. (On the ‘user manual’ second sheet, near the bottom left corner.)

• Like 1

It's using either Stella v3.x or 5.x versions of that emulator which they licensed. So yes it has very much better emulation going on as the author isn't a fool who made it. And because of the SD slot you likely can toss any game at it Stella on PC, etc runs great and get similar effect on the new system using it too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brains and common sense.

No, it requires some work that nobody (of these commercial entities) wants to finance just so everyone else can use it (although it would be a good thing).

AFAIK "porting" Stella 3.x to work in all this kind of devices is easy, the 5.x instead until someone does it for everyone of them won't see the light of day.

[it has to do with SDL2 using HW accel exclusively with the related needs to update kernel components]

stephena post may have been buried as he was replying to me here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281312-odroid-go/?do=findComment&comment=4093213

but he already volunteered a head start for the R77:

https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/wiki/Retron-77

in specific this anchor link

https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/wiki/Retron-77#improving-the-included-version-of-stella

My take is that he will be the one doing most of the work eventually, hopefully paid for by one of those commercial "leeches".

• Like 2

If these companies wouldn't be so cheap and use some better hardware that's better supported there'd be less problems. Even some of my now-near-vintage PC's even run Stella 6-pre just fine.

Keep in mind that these are ARM SoCs and as stephena already stated you need an SDL2 with support for the right GPU and then it should be "easy".

So even if I understand the feeling, we can't compare it to a vintage PC in which pretty much all GPU were "opened" so to speak.

• 1 month later...

If these companies wouldn't be so cheap and use some better hardware that's better supported there'd be less problems. Even some of my now-near-vintage PC's even run Stella 6-pre just fine.

The Retron 77 and Flashback potion #9 are two very good reasons to update the 3.9 branch to resolve the screen tearing; it's clearly the console branch of the codebase.