IGNORED

XL keyboard -> FFC adapter PCB

Level42

Just a FYI for potential buyers:

Fitting this set into a XE machine is possible but it's really tight and absolutely requires you to remove the top metal shield. I don't think that many people wanting this set will actually still have the metal top installed, but I don't want anyone to be disappointed about this after buying the set.

Also: I think the situation for XL machines isn't much better but it might fit. Not giving any guarantees though, as there are so many different keyboards for the XLs.

For me, the top metal shield is a thing of the past, when FCC rules were important to protect RF-based reception of television and radio signals. Since in that sense, we live in a digital world there is little point in keeping the metal shields in place, unless you are a 1000% "must be original"-addict. I have machines like that, they will not be modded in any way, those are my "collection" machines. My daily workhorse 600XL has so many mods, the (top) metal shield couldn't be in there anyway.

Edited by Level42

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, Level42 said:

I ordered a replacement Mylar for my 130XE keyboard from Simius and installed it. It works fine, except one key not working : the start key ! After measuring about it turned out that the cause is simply the old (oxidised) connector which I used from the original motherboard.

So….I’m pretty convinced to add new connectors to all sets I’m going to sell, because no one really wants these kind of issues.

However, the most important thing is: it fits and works with XE just as well with XL.

I’m on a holiday next week, after that I’m gearing things up to get them ready for sale and shipping.

Back from holiday. I had searched for the original “straight” ribbon PCB connectors but they are not available anywhere anymore. However, I did find a source for the angled version of the connector and this will work just as well, maybe even better.

I replaced the old original connector on the adapter board with a new one and the keyboard works 100% again now. 

Mounting the PCB is still best done with hot glue I guess but I did mine with just some insulation tape, see the pictures.

The tape under the PCB on the metal is there to prevent the metal case to make any shorts.

if you put hot glue under the PCB correctly, it will both glue the PCB and insulate the pins so no need for the tape. Since the connector is now angled it looks even better IMHO. 

7AD50067-5424-4BE8-8EBA-1000C298E12E.jpeg

9736988C-07D8-46C4-B1C7-249638AF5750.jpeg

893146B1-46EA-468B-BE3C-AEBFCAF9FD0F.jpeg

8C76D977-6D42-4851-9B23-519FF662480F.jpeg

• Like 1

Only just noticed, I advice also to put some tape over the Mylar “ribbon” part going to the PCB to keep things in place.

So, now I’ll have a look how to use the angled connectors on the XL but I don’t expect any problems.

next I’ll be soldering all connectors to the PCBs so they’ll be ready to sell.

For those who will be at ABBUC JHV next Saturday 16 October, I will be showing the installed kits on my 600XL and 130XE and selling the kits right there, which will save you shipping costs should you happen to be there.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1