IGNORED

Not a Jaguar Kiosk but...

UHATEIT

I am excite that I finally bought my first ever kiosk this past weekend at a steal of a price from a local gamer that was relocating to the Northwest and couldn't take it with her. Here she is a Playstation 1 PSX North American kiosk. Everything works on it, including the reset button, the amp and both speakers and subwoofer and the light up sign and light above the unit too.

I am new to this and am actually wondering if there are places to buy parts for these types of things since there are some things missing. Currently it has little metal baskets zip tied to the sides to store the controllers since the actual arms that the controllers mount to are missing. I'd love to find out where to get replacement arms aside from makeshifting my own. The other thing that is missing are the video game inserts that clip into the squares alongside the speaker units where from pics I have seen online are for pictures of the games that can be played on the console unit. Likely made from thin cardboard or plastic. Not sure where to find those either!

Also since this is a kiosk thread, Id love to see pics of others Kiosks! Be it Jaguar Kiosks or any other game console kiosk! post up some pics!

post-61255-0-16128200-1537296201_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-06641100-1537296208_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-46558500-1537296220_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-45573200-1537296232_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-20053600-1537296241_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-70419000-1537296247_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-81621500-1537296262_thumb.jpg

post-61255-0-13517600-1537296359_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday I stumbled upon this one on ebay. Looks really good and probably everyone here aside from me already knew about it. ;-)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-Jaguar-DEMO-STATION-RARE-COLLECTOR-ITEM-GOOD-CONDITION/322507454131?hash=item4b16f136b3:g:pZ0AAOSwblZZDicc

I wonder what shipping from Canada would cost for it, but I do not have the money neither the space to buy that baby. :-)

You traitor :P

Hey I got it for a good deal! $40 and everything works, just doesn;t have those little game card inserts that sit in the square holes by the speakers and the controller arms are missing. They zip tied those baskets on there instead. I would love to find those missing parts but it's probably next to impossible to find out who made this and if there are extra parts out there!

Does anyone viewing this have this unit as well or know how to go about maybe finding those parts?

• Like 2

I own a PSone kiosk, and when I got it, I contacted Sony (in the Netherlands of course) if they had any parts for it.

They told me they had not, and if they had it would only be supplied to stores that had a kiosk and/or the service personnel that maintained the kiosks.

You just have to look and ask around, I guess.

I own a PSone kiosk, and when I got it, I contacted Sony (in the Netherlands of course) if they had any parts for it.

They told me they had not, and if they had it would only be supplied to stores that had a kiosk and/or the service personnel that maintained the kiosks.

You just have to look and ask around, I guess.

Thank you! yeah I figured this would be almost next to impossible to find the parts for these. not knowing what store initially had this unit (and likely after 20+ years they might not even exist anymore) and then not knowing who serviced them, would be very hard to find anything. I thought perhaps these were manufactured by Sony themselves and might somehow have online diagrams for the units with part #;s (like a car dealership does) and then be able to order the parts or at least see if they exist.

I'll likely just take measurements of the speaker squares and then print some color pics of 4 games I like and stick them there. My step dad seems to be a metal-working wizard and might enjoy the challenge of trying to make the metal arms and we can probably wrap them in some sort of silicone to keep them smooth.

The PS1 and PS2 kiosks over here are different than in the US and made by a company called Altec Sign & Display.

Isn't there a label underneath or at the back of your kiosk with the manufacturer's name on it?

I checked the underside and the back and haven't found any names unfortunately :(

Will that thing play Tomb Raider as well as the Jaguar theoretically could?

It uses a regular PS1 inside that you can switch games out on. This is a demo PS1 I guess that has a model of SCPH-1001 on the back, there is a Parallel I/O hole on the back and I don;t know what that actually does, and then the red/white wire coming from it that is connected to the RESET button on the Kiosk itself, it also has composite direct cable plug ins on the back I guess to connect to the TV directly if you didn't have the regular plug. I have tried a few games on it and everything worked thusfar. I am thinking if the arms are not possible on it, I might just make it into a stand up light gun shooter as I have 2 guns (red and blue) that have multiplugs for the Saturn and PS1 and can probably swap either console into it to play.

The serial port is used to link two consoles (few games supported that).

The parallel port was neither used for anything officially AFAIK. Some regional lockout bypassing/cheating devices (the Action Replay and such) connected to it, as well as a non-official extension used to play VCDs. The parallel port was removed on the later PS1s and on all of the PSones.

• Like 2

Oh I had one of those as well. :)

I also had a thing that you plug into the memory card slot, then plug a standard memory card into the thing and it would compress the save data.

You could theoretically get 4 times as much data on a normal memory card.

It worked OK until you tried to save a game that already used compression for its saves, then you were fucked.

Nice PS1 kiosk! The missing parts you need pop up on eBay from time to time, so keep an eye out for those there. Just keep in mind that you will most likely pay a premium when the parts do come up for sale. I have a Dreamcast kiosk that was missing some parts and it took me 2 years of checking ebay everyday until they came up for sale, you just have to be patient.

• Like 1

Nice PS1 kiosk! The missing parts you need pop up on eBay from time to time, so keep an eye out for those there. Just keep in mind that you will most likely pay a premium when the parts do come up for sale. I have a Dreamcast kiosk that was missing some parts and it took me 2 years of checking ebay everyday until they came up for sale, you just have to be patient.

I've been searching. It would be great if there was a manufacturers name on this thing I could contact.

I guess the controller arms are common to breaking being made of hard rubber send the stress of being pulled on at the stores and the weight of the controllers made them flimsy over time.

Such is my burden for buying a nearly 24 year old kiosk! But for $40 it was a deal I couldn't pass up!

This one has a larger port on the left called a parallel I/O what will that one do? The door cover to that is missing. I have another PS1 that doesn't have that hole (model 9001) that has a Serial I/O port instead.

Parallel port also supported a "Game Shark" device. I still have mine, and my original 1st model PS1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameShark

• Like 1

I spent some time today working on the unit. The screen was tilted to the left. I found out that's something called a "yoke" so I twisted it so it was straight.

Now I need to adjust the screen to the left a tad. My main CRT Trinitron is the same way the image is to the right a bit and I don't know what causes that. I guess I need yo find out how to adjust it horizontally.

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 1

There are usually potentiometers inside you can use to tweak the image position, size, brightness, contrast, etc.

Be careful while you're in there. High voltage is dangerous.

I got back in again and fine tweaked the tilt and it's all good now. I watched a video on YouTube about adjusters for the left and right. But the little 20-inch that came with the kiosk doesn't seem to be as high end of a Trinitron and doesn't have any yellow or white adjusters inside for left and right or up and down. It did have 2 black twisters that added more color and then the other was focus. Got it all dialed in just a slight black border on the left hand side that I can't find the adjuster for.