IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

This.

I'd want the thing to be hackable just to remove this one. They could have used litterally any other game from the PS1's library instead of R6. Even NHL '97.

How about a shmup like people said? Or even, dare I say, a 2D fighter?

Oh come on, who would ever want something like Tomba or Klonoa, even Medievil, when you could just have Tom Clancy. That's where all the cool kids will run to once they open up that box and plug it in.

I picked up both Nintendo minis, but am not going to go for this one. The games aren't well rounded enough and don't scratch the itch...which is kinda odd, considering I had MGS back then (if the controllers lack force feedback, the cool fight with Mantis will lose all flavour, lol). I think I was just expecting more...at least the analog sticks. I will reconsider if the hack for roms come along though..there are still some great games that I can fit in there. I was not a fan of FF7 so that one can go. I would keep Tekken, RE and MGS...that's about it. In goes Tenchu, the rest of the RE series, Return Fire...Panzer General...Dino Crisis...maybe some Tomb Raider but not a must. I am surprised with how many driving games I enjoyed on the system but with no analog sticks, no way. Otherwise, in goes the GT series.

Hdmi is a big bonus too, but something else holding me back is that I already own most of the PS stuff I'd ever want...even though I play it in my PS2. Lots of Guncon stuff too.

I think Sony definitely cheaped out jn the licenses. I mean, not even Parapa made it in. This thing needed more than three or four games out of twenty. If they wanted a Nintendo response from fans, they should have gone all in. I mean, here's the company that destroyed Sega with its sell at a loss console price...and I firmly believe that if it had a truly stellar lineup? It would have blown Nintendo out of the water with this thing. For some reason they just didnt want to.

And finally, quality: feel and finish. Let's see if they learned anything from Nintendos minis.

The more I look at this list, there's honestly maybe 2 games I would care at all about (Tekken 3 and Abe's Oddysee, conceivably Jumping Flash or Toshinden -once- for nostalgia). I have weird tastes, true, but I would seriously likely never play any of the others. At least for me, they really missed the mark. If it were cheaper I'd consider it as a funny little portable Tekken 3 HDMI machine. But yeah, without Parappa, Crash, Wipeout, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Buster Bros, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, or Medal of Honor....too many misses. I would seriously never have the remotest temptation to start any of the other games. A big shame, this could've been awesome.

By comparison, the SNES nearly nailed everything except maybe Street Fighter Alpha 2 (and it had SFII, kinda good enough). Not only did they give a good variety of action / strategy, but it had a ton I happen to love (Mario Kart, Punch Out, StarFox, Contra, Castlevania, Street Fighter, Zelda, DKC, Kirby's Dream Course, F-Zero, Yoshi's Island). While Chrono Trigger, Mortal Kombat II, Super Bomberman 2, Captain Commando, Wild Guns, and few others would have been incredibly awesome...there's still so many hits there that it's a huge win.

And to go a step further, in a fantasy world where the Sega Saturn was easily successfully emulated (and the company wasn't a trash fire)...I would think Sega could kick Sony's patoot with any 12 of the following.

Imagine a Classic Saturn with: Dragon Force, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Guardian Heroes, NiGhts, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Nightwarriors, Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon 2 / Saga, Shining Force 3, House of the Dead, Baku Baku, Virtua Cop 2, Die Hard Arcade, Burning Rangers, Albert Odyssey, Galactic Attack, Virtual On, Silhouette Mirage.

• Like 3

This is where a Playstation TV really comes in handy, folks. It'll play these games and more... many legitimately, if you have a PSN account and don't want to bother hacking it. The Vita and PSP are also good alternatives, even if the two systems have stubbornly retained their value.

• Like 2

But yeah, without Parappa, Crash, Wipeout, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Buster Bros, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, or Medal of Honor....too many misses. I would seriously never have the remotest temptation to start any of the other games. A big shame, this could've been awesome.

On a PC via emulation Parappa is awesome. On the nvidia Shield using any available PlayStation emulator, Parappa is extremely hard because of input latency. I dont see how it can be fun on whatever super cheap platform Sony has selected for this thing.

It hadn't occurred to me that some things might have been excluded for compatibility reasons. That certainly seems possible. Parappa (PSP version) doesn't work right on the Vita because of timing issues with the emulator that are minor for everything else.

Inclusion of Tekken 3 made me think it's probably a strong emulator.

Abes odyssey? I love me some oddworld, and oddly never got that one. With that lineup, and price point though, just not enough to interest me. I got crash, and in about two weeks I'll get spyro, and for me, that's a good chunk of what I love on psx. Outside of that, skull monkeys, the need for speed series, and twisted metal (the only other game I'm particularly interested in on this)

Nice to see intelligent qube though, it's a nice puzzler most people likely missed.

Abes odyssey? I love me some oddworld, and oddly never got that one. With that lineup, and price point though, just not enough to interest me. I got crash ...

Abe's Oddyssey (spelled that way because it's Oddworld) is really great and worth a revisit -- but at this time, you might as well play the remixed version called New-N-Tasty. It runs on just about everything, including mobile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddworld:_New_%27n%27_Tasty!

It's funny to me that you never played the first game in the series. It was heavily promoted with demo discs and looked really fresh when it first came out.

Similarly, while I loved Tekken 3 at the time, if you have any modern system at all, Tekken 7 is worth a look. It goes on sale a lot if you don't already have it. It scales the graphics depending on your computer and runs on low end stuff decently. Or play on the big screen with console controllers, where Tekken belongs. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_7

I think one of the issues that Sony probably was/is facing is licensing. Nintendo's minis are built around their strong first party arsenal (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, etc) with the filler added in afterwards. Unfortunately, Sony does not have a big, huge first party range of games to build off of unlike Nintendo, Sega, or even Atari. Also, I agree with Curious Sofa on his Saturn mini assessment. Just build a unit around Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtual Fighter 2, Nights into Dream, Panzer Dragoon (all three titles), and then add the filler games. That thing would (probably) sell like hotcakes, especially in Japan.

• Like 1

I think one of the issues that Sony probably was/is facing is licensing. Nintendo's minis are built around their strong first party arsenal (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, etc) with the filler added in afterwards. Unfortunately, Sony does not have a big, huge first party range of games to build off of unlike Nintendo, Sega, or even Atari.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like these games were their only choices, and many of them are licensed from third parties. Here's what Sony themselves own:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Interactive_Entertainment#Owned_franchises_and_properties

• Like 2

Looking over this list, definitely they could have done a little bit more with the game selection in order to strengthen the line up a tad. Still, it is not too bad of a selection as things stand. Personally, though, I have many other means playing PS1 games, so this is not really a product for me. I am pretty sure that Sony will make good coin off of it. However, I don't know if it will be at the level of Nintendo's offerings. We will see pretty soon, though.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like these games were their only choices, and many of them are licensed from third parties. Here's what Sony themselves own:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Interactive_Entertainment#Owned_franchises_and_properties

I looked at their list more closely and I'm coming around to the idea that the best Playstation One games were licensed. Stuff like Ratchet & Clank didn't appear until PS2, and they chose a lot of the best picks from what they had.

I'm tempted to make a Retropie mix of these 34 "first-party" games.

Gran Turismo seems like a major omission, but it's probably down to car and music licenses. Bah, lawyers.

Alundra

Aquanaut's Holiday

Arc the Lad

Blasto

Colony Wars

Cool Boarders

Destruction Derby

Devil Dice

Everybody's Golf

G-Police

Gran Turismo

Intelligent Qube

Jet Moto

Jumping Flash!

Mad Maestro!

MediEvil

Mister Mosquito

Motor Toon Grand Prix

Omega Boost

PaRappa the Rapper

Philosoma

Rally Cross

Syphon Filter

The Legend of Dragoon

The Mark of Kri

Tomba!

Twisted Metal

UmJammer Lammy

Vib-Ribbon

Wild Arms

Wipeout

World Tour Soccer

Xtreme

Flojo basically buried the hatchet into Sony's stupidity with the game list there. All those games they directly made and published that could have hit this device and would be fairly well considered better choices and are oddly absent. In a way it's like when we've speculated in the past how the N64 Mini would suck with a lack of games and no-Rare titles and I did much the same going through the list of games they own or own enough (like DK despite rare made) and you can easily pull a list of between 20-25 games from them alone if they excluded all 3rd parties for that theoretical system.

The choices are more than enough there, and that big list has some really notable nice titles. Medievil, Colony Wars, WIpeout, Omega Boost, Jet Moto and the list continues. Again good enough reasons why not to buy it unless it's hackable as little thought went into this release from them other than to cash in on what Nintendo started again.

• Like 2

It seems like a pretty decent list to me (doesn't hurt that I was probably once good enough at Puzzle Fighter that I could have played it in tournaments, if they were a thing)... but yeah, no shooter love is a bummer.

The reality is that there were a LOT of really good PS1 games, and no list was gonna satisfy everyone. I accept this thing isn't for me, but I have half a dozen different ways to play PS1 games, so no biggie.

• Like 3

Similarly, while I loved Tekken 3 at the time, if you have any modern system at all, Tekken 7 is worth a look. It goes on sale a lot if you don't already have it. It scales the graphics depending on your computer and runs on low end stuff decently. Or play on the big screen with console controllers, where Tekken belongs. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_7

I nabbed Tekken 7 on the cheap, and do enjoy the gameplay but...at least on Xbone, the loading time is atrocious. It takes longer to load a match (vs Cpu in Arcade Mode) than it takes to complete the match, and I apparently have little patience. Apart from that issue, the game is pretty awesome.

My favorite Tekken since 3/ Tag Tournament 1 is Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (download for PS3 for $15). Seems to basically have everything.

But back to the topic at hand...

I LOVE that they included Tekken 3, and hope for those who get the Classic that it has Tekken Force and Bowling like the PS1 disc did. One of my prized possessions is an original non-greatest hits Tekken 3 with the shiny fist cover.

Edited by Curious Sofa