IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

After reading a lot of the complaints here about the lackluster game list for this console, I started wondering: Is Sony deliberately holding back on some of these licenses? Hear me out... what if theyre planning on releasing a DualShock version later on? If the first one sells well enough, I think its certainly plausible. They could then add a different lineup of games that take advantage of the updated controller. This is probably wishful thinking but it would help make some sense out of why they chose to handicap this machine in some very obvious ways. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

PlayStation Classic

PSOne Classic

PlayStation 2 Classic

PSTwo (slimline) Classic

SNES Jr. Classic

NES Top-Loader Classic

PS4 Pro Classic

Mega Drive Mini

Mega Drive 2 Mini

Genesis 3 Mini (now with mono sound!)

The list goes on and on. Gotta catch collect 'em all!

Edited by derFunkenstein

I assume it's fair to expect there's a fast approaching ceiling on these things based on the required horsepower to run newer "classic" systems. I expect your garden variety orange pi etc. is all these guys will contemplate putting in a cute plastic box, so anything newer than PS1 would require an entire order of magnitude more horsepower which isn't available in these throwaway boards. I don't expect to see PS2, Game Cube, etc. any day soon. Even PSP is dodgy on these boards.

What would be neat is a portable with a micro version of the Wii board to open up the library for Gamecube and Wii. They could use all the leftover WiiU control pads they have stored next to the Ark of the Covenant, but they'd have to engineer that themselves, and probably see it as taking away from their current product.

• Like 3

Probably, but give it a few years and eventually Dreamcast, Game Cube, PS2, and quite possible Saturn will have perfect emulations and micro-boards with enough horsepower to run them.

I assume it's fair to expect there's a fast approaching ceiling on these things based on the required horsepower to run newer "classic" systems. I expect your garden variety orange pi etc. is all these guys will contemplate putting in a cute plastic box, so anything newer than PS1 would require an entire order of magnitude more horsepower which isn't available in these throwaway boards. I don't expect to see PS2, Game Cube, etc. any day soon. Even PSP is dodgy on these boards.

It's plausible they're planning multiple systems using some cheap system on a chip pcb setup to try and mimic Nintendo. The interesting thing is the scaled back in size of the original model, it appears the dimensions should quite match their full size PSOne mini console. Perhaps it is crippled for a 2nd one a year or 6mo out that does analog, or perhaps they have more plans tied to PS4 that they don't want to cripple shoveling their stuff there at $6/ea. These could be nothing more than a tease of better things to squeeze out of people buying full size hardware.

Adding in having looked at that link above, I agree and don't with that list. The don't isn't that I don't like all the suggestions, but the Activison related stuff can't happen as they wouldn't have anything to do with the device for whatever reason which is a shame as that tosses out Tony Hawk, Spyro and Crash. The rest though is very plausible, and I forgot about Soul Reaver as I think Eidos had a hand on that one too.

Edited by Tanooki

Didn't Ape Escape need the analog controls? I mean, that's an oversight in itself for the PSClassic, but since it doesn't have that, Ape Escape is kind of silly to be considering...

Tomb Raider, I agree with...

Wipeout, may have had issues with licensing... music, iirc, and Red Bull... That game was the first place I heard of Red Bull. It was pretty prominent in the loading screens...

Crash Bandicoot, nah... just had the NSane Trilogy...

Ridge Racer, never played Type 4, so either one would be fine probably... ooo... or maybe Rage Racer... I remember liking that one a lot...

Spyro, nah, got the rerelease trilogy thing coming out...

I'd rather keep Abe's Oddysee than Legacy of Kain or Silent Hill...

Gran Turismo, too many licenses... people seem to be completely ignoring this... music and cars... people are already complaining about the cost, this would just make it higher...

PaRappa I played and didn't like... people are also concerned with lag... dunno... I'd rather have GTA...

Cool Boarders I have zero interest in, but Tony Hawk has too many licenses, too... more licenses, higher cost, less profit at current price point... ("But Sony's got billions!" Yeah, and they didn't get those billions by losing money or breaking even.)

Intelligent Qube I wasn't a fan of... never played Vib Ribbon, but I wonder if it would be sensitive to lag in inputs, too being a rhythm type game... probably wouldn't care for it either... give me a shmup like G Darius or the Gradius that the Japanese version got...

My thing is, although I'm not that thrilled with the list of games that did make it on the system, I can see very good reasons why the ones everyone wants on there aren't on there. But it doesn't matter. People want what they want and this was never going to please everyone... but it seems it doesn't please anyone either. lol

• Like 1

Ridge Racer Type4 was through it's release life a 2 CD game, the R4 game was on one, and the second game hiding in back was the original RR both in standard and high resolution mode too as an extra.

Wipeout had like 3 releases on the PS1, if the first would be an issue, why not one of the others?

I do agree with you on parappa. I recently got one and it was not good, and lag with HDMI people being all over whining about it (usually TV the problem) would be a really bad choice as would Unlammer Jammy too.

Regarding Wipeout:

The Cold Storage music remains the property of it's composer Tim Wright.

He was planning to do remixed versions of it for Playstation 4 Wipeout Collection:

The name Tim Wright almost certainly won't mean much to gamers who grew up in the 1990s, but that pseudonym absolutely will. As CoLD SToRAGE, the Welsh musician wrote and recorded eight tracks for Psygnosis's futuristic racer. But Tim tells me that timing headaches have seen his contributions stripped from the new collection.

"It's all new music on the collection," he says, "and this was partly down to bad timing in terms of reaching an agreement with Sony. An attempt was made at the last minute to get my remastered music into the game, but it had already gone to beta. So it was all a bit too late, sadly."

So Sony would of had to enter into a deal with Tim to have his music on the Wipeout games on the mini.

• Like 1

I'm sure Sony could have come to some arrangement with Tim, as Wipeout was one of the first PSO e classics offered for digital download. He used to give away the soundtrack files for free (presumably for personal use only) on his website for many years.

The remixed tracks, if you want to listen: https://coldstorage.bandcamp.com/album/slipstream-wipeout-volume-one

• Like 1

Tim seems very keen to work with Sony so a deal to have his music used on the PS1 Mini wouldn't be an issue.

It's just worth pointing out the paperwork that has to be done when your looking at putting titles out on systems like the Mini these days.

A lot of people assume Sony owned all parts of the likes of Wipeout and so it should of been on the Mini, but it's not that straightforward.

Titles like Gran Turismo had specific music tracks for the UK version as well...

Which probably adds an extra layer to the actual car licence rights as well.

• Like 1

I've seen some wondering if this is using some PSTV components, but apparently the Playstation Classic's menu has a listing of licensing and one of them is for an open source emulator called PCSX ReARMed.

So it's not even an in-house emulator, and presumably isn't the same software that powered PS1 classics on the Vita/PSTV.

And while it hopefully doesn't negatively impact anything, some of the games seem to be the European versions. Multiple games show "Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" on their title screens. Hopefully they were at least games that were PAL optimized back in the day.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for that link. While I question game list, like many others, comments like this always make me sour on a review:

"The result, though, is that next to the stellar line-ups of the NES Classic and SNES Classic" ..... when the SNES lineup came out, I read a LOT of complaints how there were too few in total, and some odd choices. Granted, a lot liked it too, but there's going to be complaints with anything.

I will get one, barely play it, and keep it as a collector, much like the NES and SNES ones.

• Like 1

"The result, though, is that next to the stellar line-ups of the NES Classic and SNES Classic" ..... when the SNES lineup came out, I read a LOT of complaints how there were too few in total, and some odd choices. Granted, a lot liked it too, but there's going to be complaints with anything.

Really? I thought the consensus was that the the Nintendo minis, the SNES in particular, was "all killer, no filler." That's certainly how I consider it. Especially when adding ROMs was so easy.

• Like 4

My impression was that the SNES Classic lineup was very well received and did a good job of representing what made the system so special. Only a few weak areas like the omission of any shooters.

I'd argue all were AAA games except for Kirby's Dream Course, and that was still a solid game.

But is that because of the way Nintendo control licensing for their games? i.e them all needing approval before release, would that make their licensing options easier down the line?

I'm guessing the PlayStation games a lot of the great ones were third party releases so maybe harder to pin down?

But is that because of the way Nintendo control licensing for their games? i.e them all needing approval before release, would that make their licensing options easier down the line?

I'm guessing the PlayStation games a lot of the great ones were third party releases so maybe harder to pin down?

Sony had equal control over the Playstation. 3rd party publishers couldn't independently publish games. All games were licensed by Sony.