IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

His post wasn't about quality control. He seems to be under the mistaken impression that "Licensed by Nintendo" gave them a possible advantage with the SNES Classic Edition, when it was neither unique nor an advantage.

That all said, Sony wouldn't allow everything. They were well known to be anti-2D in the West for an example, and while many great 2D games came out during the glory years, plenty of stories support Sony's unofficial discouragement of such releases here (And sometimes of compromises needed to appease Sony to enable a release).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Frank Cifaldi is making some excellent points on twitter right now.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1060701347710820352

I want to expand on this now that it's kind of blowing up. There's been this decades-long myth that emulators a company makes and sells you are somehow better. Now we have acknowledgement from THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE PLAYSTATION that a free emulator is good enough to be official.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1060703358292439040

The collective knowledge of the emulation community is going to exceed "internal" knowledge almost every time. Working at Sony doesn't give you secret access to perfect knowledge of a now-ancient system. To me this is a really obvious move that every company should be making.

Obligatory asshole ranking list. Kicks off with a dumb smirk and just gets worse. I am feeling some negative emotions right now. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/all-20-playstation-classic-games-ranked-from-worst-to-best

I started to read the article but it simply smacked too much of fake shock that, GASP!!!! early era 3D games haven't aged well...what a shocker, full story at 10...type stuff.

As for this comment:

'Later entries were received less enthusiastically, though, and these days Syphon Filter is mostly forgotten.'

Yeah...like how long ago was the media making rumblings about Sony looking at doing a new Syphon Filter game for the PS4?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/11/sony_just_trademarked_syphon_filter_for_some_reason

Edited by Lost Dragon

Maybe this is out of date being exactly a year old, but the PCSX Rearmed emulator Sony appears to have licensed isn't all that good potentially. Not entirely compatible, nothing wants to roll at 60fps (which I recall a PS1C review said it fails to do now), and other little bits coming from a known source of people (gbatemp) that really vet these things. Combine a less than entirely stable emulator with a mediocre non-representative list of what PS1 is known for and I'm wondering how well this thing will go over with people once they crack it open for Christmas gifts if not earlier. I don't see staying power being great and if it has coding hangups causing little things to annoy people it will compound it.

Maybe this is out of date being exactly a year old, but the PCSX Rearmed emulator Sony appears to have licensed isn't all that good potentially. Not entirely compatible, nothing wants to roll at 60fps (which I recall a PS1C review said it fails to do now), and other little bits coming from a known source of people (gbatemp) that really vet these things. Combine a less than entirely stable emulator with a mediocre non-representative list of what PS1 is known for and I'm wondering how well this thing will go over with people once they crack it open for Christmas gifts if not earlier. I don't see staying power being great and if it has coding hangups causing little things to annoy people it will compound it.

It's a fine emulator, it just depends what you run it on, and what you run on it. Try it for yourself on a computer: https://github.com/iCatButler/pcsxr
  • Like 1

For about the same price as the PSTV sold for originally, I’d be very disappointed to find they just put some cheap pi type board in there and an emulator.

AND two controllers AND a cute retro case AND a throwback style carton AND 20 games, some of which are real keepers, AND the "RetroVGS" gold standard for video games: no downloads, no firmware upgrades, no batteries, just plug and go.

$99 in 2013 would be like $107 today!

• Like 4

I thought Syphon Filter was chaff when it came out... :skull:...I hated early stealth everything.

Aren't you thinking Splinter Cell? ;) I don't recall much stealth in SF. But anyway, of course not everybody has to like it but there's no denying it was a really solid title, gameplay and tech wise.

Regarding the emulator, I wonder why they even bother "borrowing" it? I thought they already had this angle covered - PSP had great PSX emulation. Or maybe it had something to do with hardware in it?

Regarding Wipeout:

The Cold Storage music remains the property of it's composer Tim Wright.

He was planning to do remixed versions of it for Playstation 4 Wipeout Collection:

The name Tim Wright almost certainly won't mean much to gamers who grew up in the 1990s, but that pseudonym absolutely will. As CoLD SToRAGE, the Welsh musician wrote and recorded eight tracks for Psygnosis's futuristic racer. But Tim tells me that timing headaches have seen his contributions stripped from the new collection.

"It's all new music on the collection," he says, "and this was partly down to bad timing in terms of reaching an agreement with Sony. An attempt was made at the last minute to get my remastered music into the game, but it had already gone to beta. So it was all a bit too late, sadly."

So Sony would of had to enter into a deal with Tim to have his music on the Wipeout games on the mini.

The first Wipeout game had original music. It probably wasn't inluded because it wasn't a PS exclusive. It was also on PC and Sarurn (I have this version).

I'm betting it was the music...

PS-bashers, rejoice. Eurogamer previewed it and they are not exactly full of praise: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-08-weve-played-the-playstation-classic-and-its-a-disappointment

While the complaints about weak line up are of little relevance (since it's not really weak, plus it's really relative) the quality of emulation is another matter. Although, they are fair to point out that displaying/emulating 3D games is way more difficult than 2D, a fact that die hard Nintendo Classic fans will most likely glide over though.

• Like 1

Looks cool, though I have to wonder what the game library is going to look like when they reveal all 20.

All 20 thumbnails are there. Maybe I am too much a Nintendo Fanboy, but really most of these games don't seem to pique my interest.

No Spyro trilogy. PS1's answer to Mario... :sad:

IMO, the ps1 is one of those systems where opinions on what the "essential" games are will vary so widely that tying to make an all-in-one like this is bound to disappoint. The NES one was unique in That the "best" games are fairly well agreed upon. The SNES, while it had more of a range than the NES, still had a pretty objective "core".

But the ps1? Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't see it.

• Like 3

All 20 thumbnails are there. Maybe I am too much a Nintendo Fanboy, but really most of these games don't seem to pique my interest.

No Spyro trilogy. PS1's answer to Mario... :sad:

I'm one I guess, just by the fact I didn't bother to touch a playstation until 2001. They pissed me off with their arrogance and tactics in the 90s so they were off limits, got a Turbo Duo. :) But to be fair, the only Sony thing I still use anymore is a PSOne/LCD combo device on my desk so I'm good with the games. I don't know all of the 1000s of titles, though much of them are garbage filler by proxy, but I do know plenty of the good to excellent by name/picture association at the least and the PSC top20 mostly is average, good games, but good average ones not of the memorable type I'd buy it for which is a shame. Some of them even had better PC versions like Demolition Derby which I'd kill on there 20 years ago. I really wanted to like the thing when I saw the 5 game list as it was pretty promising, but the other 15 was the kiss of death at $100.

I know there are so many games it's hard to capture 20 to really grab you with what you could think is the best, but what they did grab is a hard pill for most to honestly call the best even if you exclude things with blocking licensing issues. Wipeout comes up but do all 3 use licensed tracks? What about Tomb Raider or Soul Reaver as they're both controlled by Square-Enix that bought Eidos and they're out. The list can easily be compounded with more games like Ace Combat from Namco or Soul Edge too. I get why Crash and Spyro are out, Activision blew them off, but getting 20 wouldn't be hard that's far more representative of what people would stuff into a top20 list than that it has.