IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

$99 is not cheap. For that price, the emulation should be perfect or indistinguishable to the average person. This sucks because I wanted this to be good.

Right. I don't get the apparent excuses being made in this thread. A cheaper Raspberry Pi setup will do a better job. That wasn't necessarily the case with the Nintendo minis, since they're cheaper and the emulation is top-notch.

And in this case there's no excuse for using games that run at 83.33% speed on the US release. The fix is literally just replacing one existing ISO with another.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

And in this case there's no excuse for using games that run at 83.33% speed on the US release. The fix is literally just replacing one existing ISO with another.

Maybe. We don't know how well the NTSC version runs in this emulator. Tekken 3 is one of the more technically demanding games on the platform. It's possible it shouldn't even have been included because it's not very compatible.

The plus side is that PlayStation was super popular so this is almost certain to get hacked wide open. I'd have more fun with a lineup of first year games, from before the dual shock controllers changed everything.

Right. I don't get the apparent excuses being made in this thread. A cheaper Raspberry Pi setup will do a better job.

Let me explain my take on this community in general....

"Hey, neat retro looking box!"

"That looks like a real bargain! I can't wait!"

"This is the greatest idea to ever come down the pike!"

"Take my money! I want it now!"

(pointless YouTube observations by shut-ins)

"Wait...what?"

"Those guys reviewing it don't know what they're talking about. I'm sure it's fine. Losers!"

"Mine finally arrived! Best day ever!"

"This doesn't do everything exactly as I remember or as good as the original more expensive stuff!"

"What they really should have done was (insert fantasy based notions with no basis in product development or finance)"

"Scam!"

"What a piece of crap!"

"How dare they try to pass this stuff off on us!"

"I like mine!"

"Shut up you tool. Were you even born when they made these things?"

"What do you know, I know gaming, and this is the tits!"

"Nuh-uh. You're talking out your ass you know-nothing. No serious gamer would buy this thing."

"Well, this thing sucks, and it costs way too much, but if I take out the electronics, put something better inside, replace the controller, paint the case, make it 14" taller or 4" smaller and put a new sticker on it, I'll have an awesome retro rig."

Dramatic YouTube video

- Interior-night, darkened basement, extreme closeup one shot on pasty faced nerd.

Nerd, "Ohhh my gawd! My head is exploding! Who did they make this thing for? This is the worst thing in the history of the universe!"

....and so on.

That's why I like this place.

5krM.gif

• Like 9

Maybe. We don't know how well the NTSC version runs in this emulator. Tekken 3 is one of the more technically demanding games on the platform. It's possible it shouldn't even have been included because it's not very compatible.

The plus side is that PlayStation was super popular so this is almost certain to get hacked wide open. I'd have more fun with a lineup of first year games, from before the dual shock controllers changed everything.

Digital Foundry did some quick tests - Tekken 3 runs terrible. Not only is it running at 83% the speed it was intended to, it's simply duplicating frames periodically to get the 50hz to display at 60hz. So it's both slow and juddery.

Yeah I agree.. I think it was just an intern and he accidentally chose the PAL versions from the wrong folder. :P

The most common guess I've seen is that it's because the PAL versions already include all the European translations so it's the most "complete" version in that respect.

• Like 1

Digital Foundry did some quick tests - Tekken 3 runs terrible. Not only is it running at 83% the speed it was intended to, it's simply duplicating frames periodically to get the 50hz to display at 60hz. So it's both slow and juddery.

Yes, I know ... my point is that the NTSC version would probably run poorly too, with a different set of issues.

I can't remember if the console original ran perfectly all the time. I should take it out and play it, take a bath in the blockiness.

Yes, I know ... my point is that the NTSC version would probably run poorly too, with a different set of issues.

I can't remember if the console original ran perfectly all the time. I should take it out and play it, take a bath in the blockiness.

I seem to recall Tekken 3 having some issues keeping a steady 60FPS on original hardware. In other parts of their review DF mentions that Ridge Racer Type 4 has issues keeping at its original 30fps even in the NTSC version - so you're probably right in that the NTSC version of Tekken 3 would still run badly.

I tried to remain positive, but this is not boding well for Sony.

• Like 1

If the thing is running on yet another of those Gawd awful, garden variety orange-pis or similar, crap performance should be expected as PS1 emulation has never been top notch on that ilk.

From the inception, many including myself, expected they would at least use some version of their own PSP or PSTV electronics which would have been more capable of running their own games competently. This has all the markings of another company trying to get in on a quick cash grab with cheap, piss poor electronics. The difference being, Atari and NES games didn't generally overtax that crap. MegaDrive games start to break down on it, and N64 or PS1 is a crapshoot. Stupid idea from the start if that's what they were doing, and everything suggests they did. So then the question is, why does it cost more than $50-60 like the others when it doesn't work as well?

Edited by JBerel

Not if the emulator can't keep up, which was my point. Rendering 50Hz is less work than rendering 60Hz.

Ive always wondered how much (in theory) the increased resolution of PAL compensates for the lower refresh rate in equaling out the workload to generate one frame.

You have a little more cpu time than in ntsc, but you have to render a little more data. (Most lazy PAL ports just switched to 50hz and ignored the extra resolution by letterboxing the game.)

• Like 1

Yeah, I've heard about bad PAL ports. We in Japan/USA (NTSC land) take these things for granted. An old discussion but with some links: https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/2sk8e9/pal_vs_ntsc/

Eurogamer has a hardware teardown, with pictures of the guts of this thing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown