IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Wow that's some serious tin foil hat stuff there on some illuminati level trying to accuse Sony of shoveling a badly compiled crappily emulated turd to try and sabotage Nintendo. Those things are on an entire other level. Sure the PS1 opened the doors to a lot of new gamers 20 years ago, but when people look back mostly, most fondly, and as inspiration for the crapload of 'retro' titles made these days the SNES and NES are the playbook people seem to break open. I don't think anyone but Nintendo themselves could sabotage them. Even the crappy stuff ATgames has sullied Sega for for years didn't make a dent due to the Genesis firecore situation. If anything Sony is going to make the latest Sega console from ATGames look less awful when some reviewers start drawing weird comparisons for 2018 holiday TV games devices on the market.

It looks like a rushed, cynical cash grab exploiting the popularity of the NES and SNES Classic rather than a ploy to hurt Nintendo.

• Like 1

It looks like a rushed, cynical cash grab exploiting the popularity of the NES and SNES Classic rather than a ploy to hurt Nintendo.

Going by what little I saw today that probably is the best description. I went into the mall for the first time in a very very long time today and gamestop is near where I came in to start looking around. They had a table out with it in the center and the NIntendo boxes for the other two on each side. They did not run out of the Sony systems at all, so the response doesn't seem to be particularly warm. Now it is a game store, so the buyers there may be more up on the failings of the thing so it's ignored, but it's also a mall and they're in a super high traffic walk in space near the food area. I'd think if people were really loving it or having some nostalgia for the old PS1 they'd have been cleaned out like Nintendo caused twice. That just wasn't the case here.

• Like 2

The best reviews so far have been Digital Foundry and oddly NintendoLife that did a comparison to the SNES CE on hardware, emulator package, game list, build quality. You'd automatically think the NL bit would be staged and suck, but oddly it so well backs up its arguments and parallels what DF did they even tied the other review and linked the video as like a cited source so it didn't look like dumb fanboyism.

The thing just isn't good sadly. Poor emulator, bad emulation issues, PAL judder, 2/3 of the games aren't classic or all that amazing either on it. It adds up to an overpriced wonky disappointment that only should be saved by someone hopefully cracking it like the Nintendo boxes so a good emulator and game list can be added for the fans (include me in that.)

• Like 3

The best reviews so far have been Digital Foundry and oddly NintendoLife that did a comparison to the SNES CE on hardware, emulator package, game list, build quality. You'd automatically think the NL bit would be staged and suck, but oddly it so well backs up its arguments and parallels what DF did they even tied the other review and linked the video as like a cited source so it didn't look like dumb fanboyism.

The thing just isn't good sadly. Poor emulator, bad emulation issues, PAL judder, 2/3 of the games aren't classic or all that amazing either on it. It adds up to an overpriced wonky disappointment that only should be saved by someone hopefully cracking it like the Nintendo boxes so a good emulator and game list can be added for the fans (include me in that.)

man, that's so disappointing. i dont have a lot of nostalgia for the PS1, but it would've been a cool toy to pull out every once and a while if you didn't have access to a later Playstation.

• Like 1

man, that's so disappointing. i dont have a lot of nostalgia for the PS1, but it would've been a cool toy to pull out every once and a while if you didn't have access to a later Playstation.

Yeah I'm not happy about it. I legitimately was interested in the thing and still have a free HDMI port on my TV switchbox collection. I just don't preorder, but after the pre-grumbles came out I was thinking forget it, and then when actual people who used it analyzed it and came back with this mess I'm linking, you almost want to find a Sony rep and give them both barrels of the verbal abuse shotgun of fury.

Well then you fall into that category I think I mentioned earlier on another site.

Sony failed with this, but the thing is, they had two hopeful target markets for it. The classic Sony fan who still keeps up, keeps with them, loves the thing, and buys it as a Sony collector. These are the types who would know better, see better, hear and feel better and get angry about it. The DF video makes it easy enough a kid would see it's not right and that it's anything but seeming fine.

But Sony has a great larger fall back, the real market for this thing. Casuals, people with past memories who didn't stay in the game, and those who just don't care enough or aren't capable enough to notice there are serious problems. You (power) fall into this. You either don't give a damn, have some kind of impairment, or you're just casual about it and really don't care. It's too easy to see the thing is problematic, even if the game list is to your liking, it just doesn't work right. Those types who fall into this group will make them hopefully have a good holiday worth of sales before the shit hits the fan after Christmas when more get disgruntled over it and call in about glitches or return things as broken.

Well then you fall into that category I think I mentioned earlier on another site.

Sony failed with this, but the thing is, they had two hopeful target markets for it. The classic Sony fan who still keeps up, keeps with them, loves the thing, and buys it as a Sony collector. These are the types who would know better, see better, hear and feel better and get angry about it. The DF video makes it easy enough a kid would see it's not right and that it's anything but seeming fine.

But Sony has a great larger fall back, the real market for this thing. Casuals, people with past memories who didn't stay in the game, and those who just don't care enough or aren't capable enough to notice there are serious problems. You (power) fall into this. You either don't give a damn, have some kind of impairment, or you're just casual about it and really don't care. It's too easy to see the thing is problematic, even if the game list is to your liking, it just doesn't work right. Those types who fall into this group will make them hopefully have a good holiday worth of sales before the shit hits the fan after Christmas when more get disgruntled over it and call in about glitches or return things as broken.

You have NFI what you are talking about.

I've barely touched the thing, my initial response is that it seems ok so far.

I bought it knowing that ppl had compaints about PAL games, the lineup, etc etc.

• Like 1

Yeah he AAers are a bit more hardcore when it comes to perfection in something like this. But the average Joe likely will be fine with it. I've still got most my still functional ps stuff, so if be able to instantly tell what's wrong, do a side by side, etc. I'd consider myself a bit hardcore though, and outside of average, along with anybody else that has truckloads of classic stuff at their disposal.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/04/people-have-worked-out-how-to-unlock-playstation-classics-emulator-settings

Ok, my interest has piqued once again. Still annoyed at Sony since I would be their target audience since I grew up with the system. I hope this isn't a huge flop for them so they'd do a revision or something.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

Watched RGT85's review of the unit. He flat out called it trash and said that he wasn't even going to bother playing Resident Evil or MGS as all of the games he tried, with the exception of Rayman, stunk. However, I will try and watch Arcade USA's review tonight and also check out the Nostalgia Nerd's review when he posts it. However, I have a feeling most reviews will be on the negative side rather than positive.

Has the communication level of the USB ports on it been figured out yet? It would be bizarre if you could do something as odd as just plugging in a USB optical drive and it fired up real PS discs(copies or legit), or perhaps if it could be made to boot off a thumb drive much the same way. It's odd that the menu option for that is in there, not that the menu exists at all given what is being used after all.