IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

I'd buy it for $20 for the USB PS1 controllers.

That is what I'm hoping to do too! I want at least one if not two of those controllers for use with other usb enabled machines. I have no interest in the actual console. I have many ways to play all of those games already.

And according to the comments it states the public key was used for the encryption! WTF? That is almost unbelievable any developers could make that mistake.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/someone-already-hacked-the-playstation-classic.85370/

To be fair that is what you do when you want to make sure only the receiver can decrypt it.

When A and B want to talk to each other securely if A wants to make sure only B can decrypt it it uses B public key (this way only B can decrypt it via its private key). If A also wants to make sure that B knows it is from A, before encrypting it it signs it with its own private key (and optionally sends the public along), this way B can decrypt the message first (making sure it was directed at him and not tampered) and then checks that A signed it (via A public) to make sure it's really A and not someone just claiming to be A.

So far so good but Sony used the wrong mechanism for this thing, having the private key in the machine and encrypting with a public available to anyone does obviously NOT protect the receiver from anyone sending stuff (which is what they wanted, only run signed and apparently encrypted code), only thing it does it asserts that indeed it is the wanted receiver of the message/file/iso/whathaveyou ....

One does not use the private key to encrypt (but only to sign) because private keys are usually weaker than the public part and usually only good to safely encrypt small snippets/digests (the signature), using them to encrypt lots of data tends to "give them away" .... code signing has been around for decades, the machine has the public, not the private, and the private signs the blob but does not encrypt it.

There are other mechanisms to perform the secure transfer so I am afraid Sony screwed up deeper than the simple private/public thing .... congratulations.

• Like 2

Here's the list of games that appear to have been tested by Sony, thanks to notations for them in the software.

• Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
  • Colin McRae Rally
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash 2
  • Driver
  • Ehrgeiz
  • Fighting Force
  • Gran Turismo
  • GTA 2
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Kagero
  • Klonoa
  • Kula World
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Medal of Honor
  • MediEvil
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mr. Driller G
  • Paca Paca Passion
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Parasite Eve
  • RayStorm
  • Ridge Racer
  • Silent Hill
  • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
  • Suikoden
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider 2
  • Tomba
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xevious 3D/G+
Edited by Atariboy

Here's the list of games that appear to have been tested by Sony, thanks to notations for them in the software.

<snip>

This list is way better than what actually shipped. Any 20 of those games would have been better than what shipped.

The nerd press has been really silly about reporting on this, with some people wondering if these games are "hidden" on the unit. More likely it's a leftover config file, right?

Has to be. Multiple teardown videos demonstrate that the unit only has 16GB of storage, so it's gotta be close to maxed out already.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Without evidence, facts, or touching the thing myself, I predict there will be a way to soft mod this, such that a non-technical person will be able to load ISOs from a flash stick through the controller ports.

If I'm right, I will eat a delicious burrito as a reward.

If I'm wrong, same thing, except as punishment.

• Like 4

I'd say it was reasonable to assume that it could be hacked, yeah. "When" and "how" are the most important questions, though.

Someone was throwing a big pity party for Sony earlier in this thread and I was just shaking my head. "Oh, won't someone think of the feelings of the massive multinational corporation?" Uh, no. The issues with the Playstation Classic have been well documented in review after review. There are substantial reasons that people consider this a disappointment. The fact that it doesn't run Playstation games as well as the Playstation TV, released years earlier by the same company for a similar price, is utterly puzzling. Why not just use a revised version of that hardware? It would have reduced R&D while ensuring the best quality product. Instead, they just shlepped out this thing.

People have actually been making their own Playstation Classics using either the PSTV or a Raspberry Pi. That's not the behavior of someone with an illogical hatred of Sony... that's the behavior of people who legitimately love Playstation games but want to play them right. If the PS Classic did its job properly, this wouldn't even be necessary.

• Like 4

Best guess, because they already have the foreign language options.

If this is why, Sony should have included both NTSC and PAL versions and allowed the player to decide which to use.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just release the NTSC versions in the US and PAL versions in those countries where people grew up with them. Why PAL for everybody? What a bunch of bullshit.

• Like 2

It's all fine and good that people are finding ways to hack these, but how much space is available to add games? Put it this way: I'm currently setting up my RetroPie to play PS1 games, and the files are quite large. Most of the older consoles have a complete library that fits easily on a SD card, but I'm already having to pick and choose what I want on my RetroPie. I can't imagine you'll be able to add another 30-40 titles to this thing.

It's all fine and good that people are finding ways to hack these, but how much space is available to add games? Put it this way: I'm currently setting up my RetroPie to play PS1 games, and the files are quite large. Most of the older consoles have a complete library that fits easily on a SD card, but I'm already having to pick and choose what I want on my RetroPie. I can't imagine you'll be able to add another 30-40 titles to this thing.

Okay, so what? Just remove the games you're pretty sure you'll never play with to free up space. Unless the stock games are not removable?

Okay, so what? Just remove the games you're pretty sure you'll never play with to free up space. Unless the stock games are not removable?

Yeah, that's the thing. If they are not, you are kinda stuck with what it has, plus or minus a handful of games of your choosing, if that.

Still, I want to see it fully hacked. It would be really cool if you could use one of those USB ports as a data transfer hub, so you could plug in a HDD or thumb drive to it loaded with whatever games you want!

Agreed. Sony already had the resources to make a really good PS1 mini, but has (more or less) utterly failed. I never got that into the PS1, so I wasn't interested in this regardless. Still, I enjoy seeing good, well made retro products and am disappointed for others who are/were into the PS1 and have this turd of a classic console compared to the NES Classic, The 64 Mini, and even the new Atari Flashback 9 product(s).

I'd say it was reasonable to assume that it could be hacked, yeah. "When" and "how" are the most important questions, though.

Someone was throwing a big pity party for Sony earlier in this thread and I was just shaking my head. "Oh, won't someone think of the feelings of the massive multinational corporation?" Uh, no. The issues with the Playstation Classic have been well documented in review after review. There are substantial reasons that people consider this a disappointment. The fact that it doesn't run Playstation games as well as the Playstation TV, released years earlier by the same company for a similar price, is utterly puzzling. Why not just use a revised version of that hardware? It would have reduced R&D while ensuring the best quality product. Instead, they just shlepped out this thing.

People have actually been making their own Playstation Classics using either the PSTV or a Raspberry Pi. That's not the behavior of someone with an illogical hatred of Sony... that's the behavior of people who legitimately love Playstation games but want to play them right. If the PS Classic did its job properly, this wouldn't even be necessary.

Edited by Hwlngmad

Without evidence, facts, or touching the thing myself, I predict there will be a way to soft mod this, such that a non-technical person will be able to load ISOs from a flash stick through the controller ports.

If I'm right, I will eat a delicious burrito as a reward.

If I'm wrong, same thing, except as punishment.

If you're wrong you should go to Taco Bell instead. :lol:

• Like 1

Instead of hacking it with the hardware as it is, why not just take it out and mod it to hold a Pi of some kind and put what you want on it. Just wire it up to use the current jacks and such... if that's possible. I mean, I have no experience with building Raspberry Pi stuff at all, but if the emulation is iffy and the space is limited and you're not sure if you can get into it anyway and so on and so on and so on... why not just buy it for the nice case and controllers and replace the innards?