IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Actually it's down to around $35 now.

Target sells it I think for $50, and if you use that cartwheel app they push that can only be used IN STORE you can drop the price that far. I would think even as bad as it is, given it seems to have some solid hack progress towards good games and better emulation on the rise it may now be the time to strike. Clearly Sony blew it with an underpowered list and a broke ass emulator that one day after Christmas it's already 66% off on sale going that route.

• Like 1

With as much as you rattled off, I am pretty sure the community at large can give you a pass.

Ugh. But I have too many of these micro consoles already! There's the Raspberry Pi I built myself, the Super Retro Cade, the Genesis HD, and the Playstation TV. Can I exempt myself from this one?

How many ways do you have to play old PSOne games?

1. PlayStation one hardware (discs)

2. PlayStation 2 (discs)

3. PlayStation 3 (discs and PSN)

4. PSP (PSN)

5. PsVita/PsTV (PSN)

and that's just official, legit purchases. I'm pretty sure I bought Bleem! somewhere down the line, to say nothing of emulation on PC and a wee spot o piracy on PSP way back when.

• Like 1

I think the Target loophole requires you to price match someplace that has it for $59.99 and then use the 40% off in the Cartwheel app. That brings it into the low $30 range. Also, some stores are wise to it and aren't letting that happen. That's a decent price for it, especially since people have figured out how to mod them.

I'm still on the fence because I just spent an entire weekend setting up a 128gb card for my Retropie with about 200 games on it and it uses basically the same emulator.

Question for those of you who have this already:

How many games should I reasonably expect to load on this thing? Is there a way to page through dozens of choices quickly, or am I better off taking a "less is more" approach when I load up my USB drive?

If you are using a USB drive, then the sky is the limit, it just depends on the size you use. I can't vouch for how to scroll through the games list easily as I haven't hacked mine yet (but plan on it soon).

Well tbh the menu it came with is terrible. Do you want to have to scroll past 100 titles in a big circle?

Depends how painful it is ... I suppose there's no acceleration, so maybe I will keep my greed under control. Load times for PSOne games were pretty tedious too, and my list of games I'll actually play is somewhat smaller than how it felt in the 1990s.

I've been reading about what's possible and it seems like the software has come along in just a short time, with auto downloads for database text and cover art. The thing is waiting for me at home, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• Like 1

Heads-up:

If you're going the BleemSync route with your PS1 Classic, make sure to use a USB 2.0 drive. There are reported compatibility issues with USB 3.0 drives. I tried a 256GB USB 3.0 drive the first time around and got nothing. Transitioned to a USB 2.0 16GB I had lying around and it worked great, first time. Both were FAT32 formatted and had the exact same set of files and folders on them.

Just a quick note for those venturing into BleemSync. I found BleemSync to work great on my PS1C. Very cool stuff.

Hope this helps!

- Blaine

• Like 3

Wow.. I forgot about the cartwheel deal. Anywho just a heads up.. I had to go to the customer service desk just to get it to ring up at the 40% off. The regular register still had the old price and I pointed out to them that on the website it was 40% off.

Oh and Sony couldn't be bothered to provide a power supply adapter for the thing. Compared to Nintendo who not only provided one but who also had a much better selection of titles for both their NES & SNES classic.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1

Well, crap. :lol:

They didn't care at my local target about doubling the Cartwheel deal and price matching, so I kinda had to. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against both my Retropie and my original Playstation. Looking forward to modding it!

I'm surprised they did that. I just read the terms of the offer on the Cartwheel app, and it says "Cartwheel cannot be applied with price match."

I'm surprised they did that. I just read the terms of the offer on the Cartwheel app, and it says "Cartwheel cannot be applied with price match."

Yeah, they aren't really supposed to. The store I usually go to is usually liberal with the discounts, so they didn't question it. The guy that rang me up was impressed that it worked!