IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Ok so my interest is mildly peeked at $30. Just to confirm, what can one reliably do with it beyond PS1 emulation?

NES

SNES

Genesis

Mame?

N64?

Wireless controller?

Forgive me for not following all the minutia.

8bitdo (for wireless ) controllers. Xbox 360 / Xbox one, PS3, PS4, Wii Pro Controllers ( wired ).

I'm only listing emulators that are feasible speed wise.

Arcade ( Mame, FBA ), Atari 2600, 400/800/5200, 7800, Lynx, Atari ST ( KMFD ), Chip8 ( KMFD ), Commodore 64 / Amiga ( KMFD ) , PrBoom ( Doom Wads ) , DOSBox, Channel F, Vectrex, Odyssey 2 ( sound a little distorted ), Intellivision ( sound is off? ), Colecovision, MSX ( KMFD ), PC-8001, PC-98, Quake 1 (and wads), Rick Dangers, RPG Maker 2000/2003, SimCoupe, X68000 ( KMFD ), Sinclair, Thomson TO8D, ZX Spectrum, SCUMMVM ( KMFD ). Openbor ( hopefully soon )

PC Engine ( TG16 ), PC-98, PC-FX ( slow? ). Neogeo Pocket, Neogeo CD

Nintendo NES, SNES (speed on some Chip games may be slow), (s)GB©, GBA, DS ( DRastic ), N64 ( hit or miss but a lot of games play fine ), Pokemon Mini :P , Virtual Boy ( runs great ). Sega SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Pico.

Slow but some games run pretty decent ( Dreamcast, Sony PSP )

KMFD cores are recommended for most computer based emu because he has virtual keyboard support. SCUMMvm is only available via KMFD cores.

I think that about covers it. The only major downside is tracking down needed BIOS files can be a real headache. Luckily the retroarch website has documentations with BIOS hashes you can use google to search for and it also usually tells you where to put them. The cores have an information screen to let you know if they have found the needed BIOS files.

I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of the DS emulator lately. It is rather nice and runs at a decent speed. And no.. having to connect a USB stick so I can load it up with tons of games is NOT a deal breaker for me... :P Even the SNESC which allows you to store games on it's internal RAM has limited space. Also what do people expect? PS games and other disc based systems are pretty large.

Edited by Shannon

Thanks. I picked one up today just for S&Gs. It was $30 in the BestBuy clearance shelf, and there were a bunch (a dozen or more) there. Enough that I bet they had more in the back. I wouldn't be surprised if watchful shoppers nab it for $20 eventually, but that will be hit or miss. I suppose at this point you'd have to call Sony's classic model a bust.

I'd be really interested in a solid breakdown of the board and chips in the thing. Anybody know of a site?

No worries, Tanook. Just doesn't sound like this will be for you. I don't have quite the desire to work to hard for an HD rom solution for PS1 so this will work just fine for me. No way would I have bought it though if ot wasn't possible to mod roms to it...they really botched it.

So I was tempted to pick up another for the sticks today when I reconsidered...it was 29.99 CDN which is the perfect price for me...and you know what else was 29.99?

The C64 mini!! I saw it marked dowon to 50 over the holidays but evem that was too much IMO. But at 29.99, sold!!! Looking at the appropriate thread to get me some SPACE TAXI on the go, heh heh.

On a side note, only one out of the three local Walmarts stocked the PS1 mini. If anybody still wants one or is on the fence, now would appear to be the time to move on it.

• Like 1

I suppose at this point you'd have to call Sony's classic model a bust.

Absolutely it was a bust. And while I usually don't pay too much mind, there is one thing that I am fairly certain of: we the GAMERS were the ones that tanked it. And that's something to be oroud of, I think. Let me explain.

Most hobbies, guys like us are in the minority of market share. We come to forums, we're passionate about this stuff. So many people would have you believe our voices don't matter...that's clearly NOT the case.

If this thing was actually decent, it would have flown off the shelves. It should have been. It was not. And Sony tried to price it at a ridiculous point, only to blow them out at rock bottom prices. Meanwhile Nintendo and Sega released (Sega is about to release) quality stuff with decent game selection and are reaping rewards.

And it's because the community of game reviewers at large all voiced out a collective NO to this POS that Sony just mailed in. And people listened. Which is a win for us.

Quality matters. Look at what Sega is doing by getting away from ATGames...the biggest hype for a mini so far, with a game selection that can only be described as incredible. At a reasonable price.

I hope Sony learned a lesson on this one. Although I doubt they'll do a PS2 mini, maybe they will learn like Sega did. You never know. But the days of putting out half-assed crap and expecting people to shut up and buy it are over. Thankfully.

Either they learn or I can get another one of these things.for next to nothing. Either way is a win for me, but I'd rather hand over my money for a quality product in the first place.

The PS1 mini deserved better than what Sony did with it.

• Like 2

No worries, Tanook. Just doesn't sound like this will be for you. I don't have quite the desire to work to hard for an HD rom solution for PS1 so this will work just fine for me. No way would I have bought it though if ot wasn't possible to mod roms to it...they really botched it.

You know that's pretty much right on it. If I didn't have the PSOne I do already with its nice setup I'd snap that up for $30 and figure out how to use the existing emulator hack tool to fire up the PS1 games I'd like to handle and slowly patch more to it for a bit of self control. I couldn't see ever wanting to swiss army knife it for whatever systems, not my bag unless I totally was finished keeping around the stuff I do as a cheap emulation box. The controllers are a bit annoying but as it is USB I would think you could get analog if you wanted, even a USB to PS1 adapter perhaps to fish that out for Ape Escape and others. Hell I like that pound cable as it is, but I still haven't snapped it up because again, I have a nice little LCD on my desk and if I had to play it on the TV the one I have displays nicely anyway enough to pass temporarily, but if the LCD died then sure it would be a good point.

I'm low on empty plugs safely speaking anyway on that wall running some surge protectors as it is now (2 in one plug set, 1 in another) and I'm down to my last HDMI port anyway. Odds are if push came to it I'd snap up that 2018 atgames genesis gx emulator box for SMS+GG+Gen stuff instead because at least that would have new utility for me and having a SD card slot, free everdrive included. ;)

That C64 mini does look cool. My wife was just asking me what would be a good fathers day gift. :P

BTW I've been using a PS3 controller on the PSC for some time now. I played through most of Ape Escape before I got distracted tinkering around with other goodies. The PS3 controller is also handy for the DraStic emulator. I'd use my PS4 controller but I don't like the placement of the start and select buttons.

I have the PS classic 8bitdo wireless adaptor, and it's essential IMO if you actually want to mess around with the games on the device. Key is if you push down Share and the PS Home button (I think?) it'll open the base menu and allow you to change from PAL to NTSC at 60 hz, among other things. Quite nifty, actually.

Edited by Mockduck

On 5/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Somewhat of a necrobump and feel free to redirect me if this belongs elsewhere...

I grabbed a PS Classic since A ) they are now $39.99 (minus 5% Target Red Card discount) and B) I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P78R37S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Basically it's a $25 USB drive that you just plug into the 2nd player USB port and boom, 101 games and the US versions all loaded.

They sell three different USB preloaded drives, and I've got the Fight Pack one on order from China (hopefully it will show up by end of June, eek).

But this one, the "Crackhead Pack" (??) has a lot of the games I would want. Parappa, Einhander, US version of Tekken 3, Wipeout / XL / 3, Soul Blade, Crash Bandicoot / 2 / CTR, and some others. I would have to buy the "Meth Pack" (??!?) to get Medal of Honor (no Underground), and I may since it's $25 but not much else on that pack I like.

The Fight pack has Mortal Kombat 3 /4 / Trilogy, X-Men Mutant Academy / 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2 /3 / EX / EX2, and several other goodies.

And it's all just plug and play, works like a charm. Got mine (both the Crackhead thing and the PS Classic) today, played a few rounds of several. Tekken 3 DEFINITELY runs faster than the PAL version on the system, not sure if it runs too fast or not but it's mos def quicker. Parappa is playable; people had said the emulator wouldn't allow the timing to work right, but TBH that game was always tough to get down right I thought (and I have the original game). I got through the first level on the PS Classic and thought it was manageable. Wipeout 3 runs very smooth, looks nice, and I love it. In all, well worth the $65 total investment so far.

Complaints are the usual. Ridiculous that the only power cord they supply is USB only, no adapter for a plug. Beyond ridiculous that the controller cord is so short (what is it, one foot?? Feels like it, going to order a wireless setup of some kind for another $20 or so). Very strange selection of the original 20 games, but again, solved with this USB drive.

http://www.truebluemini.com/

Side note - I tried to buy mine from three places other than Amazon, but all three gave me a credit card declined error. I suspect it's on their end as I use that card all the time online and in person with no issues, so I'm thinking they ship to US but are from China and my card auto-declines that biz.

Other Side note - I hope they make another stick that includes personal favorites Medal of Honor: Underground, Powerslave, UmJammer Lammy, Ehrgeiz, Tobal #1, RayStorm, Raiden, Star Gladiator, and Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi ( :) ) among others that are not on any of the three drives they currently offer. And I hope they do it before Sony finds them and has thugs burn down their warehouse wherever it is. Because you know they will.

Just a warning for anyone who was thinking of getting one of those True Blue pre-loaded memory sticks ( something that I'm surprised that Amazon is even allowing to be advertised on their site.)  But apparently the True Blue sticks modify your PSC in such a manner as to prevent you from installing your own stuff ( aka bleemsync, autobleem, and retroboot ).

So I would highly caution against using these since they pretty much lock you out of using methods other than their own.  On top of that they are charging for items they likely do not have the legal rights to include on a memory stick.. :( 

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, towmater said:

Can I take the iso's off of this Crackhead and put just those on an Autobleem drive?

I couldn't say.  I never purchased one of those things.  So I have no idea.  I just noticed the guys over in the Discord channel were discussing this product and what it does.  It patches the update mechanism on the PSC, thus locking out other mods.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Went back to bestbuy today.  Its down to 25 bucks now.  They had 13 this time.  So its being restocked.  But if it keeps dropping then why.  If nobodys buying them then no point in restocking it.

Something to keep in mind is how these retail stores work. Big box retailers in particular often have more inventory than what you see on the sales floor. When the sales floor inventory is sold, units from the back are brought out to replenish stock. If a store is selling through inventory constantly and there are more units available at their warehouse, further units are more likely to be shipped to the store. This is the phenomenon you are seeing. Clearly they are selling if they have to keep restocking them.

At $25 a pop, it doesn't surprise me that they would be moving. I passed on picking up a spare unit locally because no one had dropped them below $50, so I bought my second unit from Amazon at $30 about a month ago.

Edited by Austin

You know really in the end we can joke, we can rightly rip them for how they handled the entire emulator and game selection -- and it's overly well deserved, but it's just so so sad.  There never was a good reason for how poorly the thing ended up working in the end when someone could just sneak into the menu they poorly hid and clean it up.  Maybe that should have been visible to start?  Yet the games, I can't believe Sony lacks the clout of Sega?? let alone Nintendo to get Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix(+ Hudson/Eidos) and others to pull the true classics people flipped over on the PS1 and still do over 20 years later.  What really was the excuse here??

14 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Went back to bestbuy today.  Its down to 25 bucks now.  They had 13 this time.  So its being restocked.  But if it keeps dropping then why.  If nobodys buying them then no point in restocking it.

I knew it wasnt at rock bottom!

Now ill buy one